Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 05:40 AM   #2266
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
200+ Magazines for Only $9.99/Month. Up to 6 Family Members Included. Apple Users.

Users of Apple iPhone, iPad, and/or Mac can get a subscription to 200+ magazines for only $9.99/mo. And the first month is free.

The service is called "Apple News+". This was a company called Texture, previously, until Apple acquired them fairly recently (May 2018, I think that it was).

I'm not sure why "News" is in the name, because it looks like news magazines (and newspapers) comprise only a tiny fraction of the media in the collection. There has to be a better place than this, but the closest thing that I have found to being a list of included magazines is on this webpage. Elsewhere I saw that the Wall Street Journal and L.A. Times were two of the news publications included.

One cool feature of the service is that you can share the service with up to 5 other family members!

There are two (well, three, if you count Apple being the owner) negatives that I see. First, this service is for "new subscribers only." If that is to AppleNews+, that might not be very onerous, but if Texture is included that might a bigger problem. Secondly, the plan auto-renews, apparently beginning with the end of the first, trial month.

Still, this amounts to a great deal in my opinion--200+ magazines for only $9.99 a month! That's a huge amount of reading for cheap.

There are probably any number of portals where you can sign up for the service, this is one of them.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-26-2019 at 05:49 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:28 AM   #2267
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bounty of Resources on the Webpage of the American Journal of Archaeology!

Do you have an interest in archaeology? If so, you very well may already be aware of the following website. If not, you certainly may be interested in the site.

The website is that of the American Journal of Archaeology, which is the journal of the Archaeological Institute of America. There is a wealth of great articles and other resources on the Journal's website!

To start your exploration of the bounty, click on "Archive," "AJA Open Access" (I love Open Access. ), or "Learning Resources," located in the horizontal menu (black background, with white letters) near the top of the homepage.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 07-07-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Advert
Old 07-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #2268
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Free Anime at Microsoft Store:

Garo: The Animation Season 1
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/season-1/8d6kgx0lvj89

My Hero Academia Uncut Season 1
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/season-1/8d6kgwxcr7gf
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #2269
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I originally posed this question in the Prime Day thread, where there was a post yesterday about the Amazon Echo 2 on sale, but I didn't get any replies. I actually think this thread is probably a better fit, so I'm trying again here, in anticipation that perhaps Echo speakers will go on sale again on Prime Day(s), and I might want to buy a couple.

Here's the (long-winded) question:

I'm really uninformed on how Amazon Music works, but I do remember seeing a bunch of discussion a while back when Amazon quit allowing people to upload and store more than a few of their own songs.

Since you can no longer store your own music on Amazon (I have way more songs than the 200 or 250 or whatever the limit is), is there any other way to play your own music through Alexa/Echo? Or can you only play the stuff you have bought from Amazon (or have access via Prime Music or Amazon Music Unlimited)? I did see that the Echo can also work with some other streaming services too, but I want to play my own music.

And if you can't play your own music through Alexa/Echo, then I assume you can do it through Bluetooth? But that wouldn't be any different than streaming to any one of the gazillion other Bluetooth speakers I own ??? And presumably I couldn't stream to multiple Echos to get the "whole home" thing?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by sufue; 07-09-2019 at 01:51 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #2270
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I originally posed this question in the Prime Day thread, where there was a post yesterday about the Amazon Echo 2 on sale, but I didn't get any replies. I actually think this thread is probably a better fit, so I'm trying again here, in anticipation that perhaps Echo speakers will go on sale again on Prime Day(s), and I might want to buy a couple.
See my reply in the Lounge --> Amazon Echo Club. That forum is the best fit for questions about Alexa and the Echo.

thanks, tm

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-09-2019 at 03:09 PM.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #2271
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Aaah, many thanks!

I didn't know such a place existed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
See my reply in the Lounge --> Amazon Echo Club. That forum is the best fit for questions about Alexa and the Echo.

thanks, tm
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #2272
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Aaah, many thanks!

I didn't know such a place existed...
We're an exclusive club and try to keep it secret
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:08 PM   #2273
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeconkey View Post
We're an exclusive club and try to keep it secret
You can keep a secret? Good. I've been needing someone to help me keep up with my Amazon credit card number, PIN, and security code. They are . . . .
Old 07-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #2274
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
http://reply.biblicalarchaeology.org...D0E60FBBAEC549.

"I just this offer in my email. Can anyone tell us if the offer's a good one (still in effect, etc.)?"

I already have this Biblical Archaeology Review subscription package (maybe with some slight differences); I don't know when it expires. If the offer's good for me, as a current subscriber, I'm going to see if I can extend my package; if not, I might look into canceling my current subscription, if there's not much time left on it, and starting over with this one. The deal is that fantastic! I don't remember what the advertised price is, shown inside the magazine issues, but I don't think that I'm exaggerating to say that it's around the $100 mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Well, the link still displays the deal. When I clicked on the "Subscribe" button, it said it was for new customers only. It doesn't say how long the deal is for, or when it will stoop offering it.
Gr8 news, for peeps who are interested in this kind of thing.

I have an All-Access membership. I found out that it was about to run out. I was cringing as I called BAR this morning to see what I, a non-new subscriber, was going to have to pay to renew it-- $100? $50? Maybe $25, if I was lucky. Nope. The representative said $9. $9, the same as the promotional price that new subscribers pay! I was elated!
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #2275
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Well, the link still displays the deal. When I clicked on the "Subscribe" button, it said it was for new customers only. It doesn't say how long the deal is for, or when it will stoop offering it.
Your cat died? If so, my condolences. A person can get very attached to pets.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:54 PM   #2276
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

It's been eons since I, at least, have posted a free classical music download (they've been out there, I just haven't posted them).

The following one would be better described as classical/jazz.

What prompts me to post a classical piece now, after so long of a time in doing so, is because this piece is special--if for no other reason, it is one of very few classical music pieces that I think that most Americans would recognize immediately, even if they had no idea by whom it was composed.

Description
This week’s free download is Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue, performed by pianist Stewart Goodyear with the Chineke! Orchestra under Wayne Marshall. It was recorded on Orchid Classics and was awarded five stars for performance and four for recording in the August issue of BBC Music Magazine.

Written in 1924 for solo piano and jazz band, Rhapsody in Blue became an overnight success. Its opening clarinet glissando – which has been compared to the opening of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony for its familiarity and notoriety – wasn’t initially written in by Gershwin, and was instead, a joke performed by the clarinettist in rehearsal. Gershwin then asked him to perform it in such a way in concert, adding as much of a ‘wail’ as possible.

‘Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue is a collision of classical and jazz, reflecting the musical melting pot of that composer’s world,’ writes Claire Jackson. ‘It’s taken at a brisk pace here, with a brilliant performance by Chineke! Orchestra, Europe’s first majority-BAME ensemble.

To "purchase," just follow the instructions on this webpage. You'll have to set up an account, if you don't have one.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 07-24-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #2277
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Free at Amazon & Vudu Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making The Team Season 13

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07G4QKC3M

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...ason-13/972288
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #2278
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Little Trick that May Save You Some Hard Cash on Amazon Magazine Subscriptions.

Got a message today from Amazon that a magazine subscription that I have with them on auto-renewal was set to expire in a few days.

The renewal price was to be $10/year. Reasonable enough. However, I had paid $5 when I signed up a year ago. Curious, I went to "My Magazines," and checked the price for a new subscription. It was $10. Then, I noticed that the renewal rate for me was $5!

Of course, I immediately renewed at the $5 rate. Bada bing, Bada boom! $5 saved for a couple of minutes' work.

Hope this little tip will help you if you renew a subscription that you have with Amazon.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:02 PM   #2279
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Free at Amazon & Vudu Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making The Team Season 13

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07G4QKC3M

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...ason-13/972288
Sounds like this is also free now at Google, Microsoft, iTunes and FandangoNow if anyone prefers one of those providers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:37 AM   #2280
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK HD, Samsung GS7, Laptop, Desktop. RIP: Palms, NOOK Tablet, SGS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sounds like this is also free now at Google, Microsoft, iTunes and FandangoNow if anyone prefers one of those providers.
Also on Vudu.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney movies anywhere, dma, movies anywhere, moviesanywhere