Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 03:52 AM   #1141
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
None of the sorts on the device are based on the file timestamp. The "Date added" is when the import was done. The "Recent" uses the last time the book was read, or, if that hasn't been set, then the same timestamp as the date added.

What that means is if you put a new SD card in the device, all the books in it will be at the top of the Recent sort. If you pull the card out, and put it back in, this should give the same sort order. If you pull it out and add a few books, when you put it in, the new books should be at the top of the Recent sort.

The device does track the card. If you take the card out and put another in, it will remove details of the books on the old card and import the books from the new card. This will put them at the top of the Recent list.
Thanks for the info!

But does this mean that a card that has ALWAYS been in the device will show up first on the list now? Because that is what happened with mine... I NEVER took it out and it was never an issue before the latest update. I first took it out when I was trying to do some fault-finding the other day (in fact, I had honestly forgotten it was there).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #1142
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
But does this mean that a card that has ALWAYS been in the device will show up first on the list now? Because that is what happened with mine... I NEVER took it out and it was never an issue before the latest update. I first took it out when I was trying to do some fault-finding the other day (in fact, I had honestly forgotten it was there).
It shouldn't. Pulling the card out and putting it back in shouldn't trigger a reimport of the books, or change the Recent or Date Added sort orders. If something else is wrong, such as a corrupted database, it could happen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2019, 02:54 AM   #1143
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It shouldn't. Pulling the card out and putting it back in shouldn't trigger a reimport of the books, or change the Recent or Date Added sort orders. If something else is wrong, such as a corrupted database, it could happen.
So it sounds like the upgrade to the latest firmware caused something to go wrong... Well for now I have solved the problem by removing the SD card.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #1144
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I like holding my Kobo Forma in my right hand.
On my Kobo Forma, I have inverted "Next" and "Previous" page-control hardware buttons.
These two things combined seem to cause my Forma, after waking up or powering on, to momentarily have the text or the PIN page to be upside down, before correcting itself to be right-side up. I don't want to waste time every time I pick up my Forma waiting for it to have the right orientation. That wastes 5 seconds every time.
I noticed that when my Next and Previous buttons are not inverted, I don't have this temporary hiccup. But, I will not choose "non-inverted" just to avoid this hiccup. I would like to invert my page-control buttons AND not have this glitch.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #1145
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I like holding my Kobo Forma in my right hand.
On my Kobo Forma, I have inverted "Next" and "Previous" page-control hardware buttons.
These two things combined seem to cause my Forma, after waking up or powering on, to momentarily have the text or the PIN page to be upside down, before correcting itself to be right-side up. I don't want to waste time every time I pick up my Forma waiting for it to have the right orientation. That wastes 5 seconds every time.
I noticed that when my Next and Previous buttons are not inverted, I don't have this temporary hiccup. But, I will not choose "non-inverted" just to avoid this hiccup. I would like to invert my page-control buttons AND not have this glitch.
This is not a bug when a patch causes something not to work correctly. This is a patch issue and should be reported in the patch thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #1146
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not a bug when a patch causes something not to work correctly. This is a patch issue and should be reported in the patch thread.
This isn’t a patch Jon. This is how the Forma firmware behaves in its native state. They word switching which way either button takes you as inverting.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #1147
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
"monospace" not rendered on KA1

It seems a bug. It is the object of that thread.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #1148
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinCEO View Post
It seems a bug. It is the object of that thread.
Since Kobo has never had a monospaced font accessible on their ereaders, it's hard to see it as a bug. You can add a monospaced font either by adding it to fonts folder in the root of the Kobo's exposed storage or embed a monospaced font in the ebook. There is a patch that will point librmsdk to using your sideloaded monospaced fonts without having to play games with @font-face statements in the ebook's CSS.

As for calibre, try to remember that calibre on your computer has access to the installed fonts on your computer while a Kobo ereader has the fonts that are native to the firmware or installed in the fonts directory.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:37 AM   #1149
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
it's hard to see it as a bug.
I've payed my device with all good money and the minimum expectation from it is that it renders correctly a correctly formatted epub/kepub. As I can understand Kobo A1 it does not, and in my country this is a sufficient reason to request the return of the price as far as rendering mono-spaced text cannot be considered an esoteric quality (and in the specifications of the kepub format there is no "do not use mono-spaced text" clause).

I can think to patch up the firmware to obtain additional and uncommon functions, not to read a normal epub formatted with basic css.

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 11-13-2019 at 04:39 AM.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:13 AM   #1150
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I've payed my device with all good money and the minimum expectation from it is that it renders correctly a correctly formatted epub/kepub. As I can understand Kobo A1 it does not, and in my country this is a sufficient reason to request the return of the price as far as rendering mono-spaced text cannot be considered an esoteric quality (and in the specifications of the kepub format there is no "do not use mono-spaced text" clause).

I can think to patch up the firmware to obtain additional and uncommon functions, not to read a normal epub formatted with basic css.
Neither sideloading or embedding fonts are firmware patches. Throw a monospaced font on there and get on with your life. It takes seconds and costs nothing. I would say that wanting a monospace font does count as an "uncommon" thing, but at least there's an easy workaround for you.

(Or return your device; that seems to me like a whole lot more hassle for no gain.)

Last edited by meeera; 11-07-2019 at 06:15 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #1151
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

As I pointed out elsewhere, the epub specification does not require being able to display every glyph nor does it require any fonts be installed. Given a monospaced font is not available in the standard firmware, if Kobo displayed a monospaced font by replacing every character with a not-defined glyph, they would be within the specification (unreadable but within the specification).

I've attached the suggested images from the OpenType standard for the .notdef glyph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	notdef_glyph.png
Views:	130
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	174777  

Last edited by DNSB; 11-07-2019 at 01:52 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #1152
BENETNATH
BENETNATH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo HD
Hello,
I've got a Kobo glo HD.
the sd card crashed once, and i've been able to fix with some sd cleaning but i don't remember how.

Today, crashed again.
The kobo is able to reboot with the moving dots, but on homepage, it's crashed.

I wanted to start from new, so i put a clean microSD 16Gb card, used a KoboGloHD image sent by David in april 19.
I've flashed it with Rufus, everything was fine.
I had my kobo powered off (removed the battery plug to be sure).
I put this flashed sdcard in the kobo, and .. nothing. red permanent light, stays on the crashed page .

What can i do ??

EDIT: i've put back the original sdcard and plug/unplugged the usb cable connected to the pc.
It initialized a restoring process. Might be a good things but i would appreciate to start from a fresh sd card. Any reason why my old sd card boots but not a fresh one with the factory image ? regional restrictions or ??

Last edited by BENETNATH; 11-10-2019 at 05:21 AM.
BENETNATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #1153
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur
Sam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litter

Device: lambda k21
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
... I would say that wanting a monospace font does count as an "uncommon" thing ...
Why do you say nonsense? Are you a Kobo employee?
Sam Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #1154
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sahara View Post
Why do you say nonsense? Are you a Kobo employee?
No.

Is it your assertion that a large proportion of Kobo owners are reading non-PDF coding/technical manuals that rely on monospaced fonts that are not embedded? That certainly doesn't appear to be the case from my years of participating here. And the few people that are reading these manuals generally either already know how to add a monospaced font, or gracefully accept the volunteer help they are given.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #1155
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since Kobo has never had a monospaced font accessible on their ereaders, it's hard to see it as a bug. You can add a monospaced font either by adding it to fonts folder in the root of the Kobo's exposed storage or embed a monospaced font in the ebook. There is a patch that will point librmsdk to using your sideloaded monospaced fonts without having to play games with @font-face statements in the ebook's CSS.

As for calibre, try to remember that calibre on your computer has access to the installed fonts on your computer while a Kobo ereader has the fonts that are native to the firmware or installed in the fonts directory.
It is a bug because monospace and the rendering of a monospace font is part of RMSDK. Kobo botched it and hasn't bothered to fix it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app