Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle firmware version 5.10.3

Firmware version 5.10.3 is now available for Kindle PW2 and later models.

The download page doesn't have any information on what has changed. The What's New screen on the device shows "Performance improvements and other general enhancements."
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got it.

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
maximus83
Nameless Being

+1, thanks for the tip.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always wait a month or so before installing any new firmware version. Let the "early adopters" find the bugs .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
You turn off the WiFi to prevent the update?

I'm about to receive my first cellular enabled Kindle, I wonder if leaving it on cellular would avoid update downloads.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@Almamida: IIRC Kindle will never use 3G connection to download OTA updates, it will only download them while you're on WiFi.

p.s. I've only owned WiFi only models of Kindles, so wait for someone else to confirm my "recollection".

Last edited by shamanNS; 02-15-2019 at 03:59 PM.
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I leave my Kindle permanently in aeroplane mode.

You're right. No OTA updates via 3G.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Been having problems with highlighting and holding words for definitions, hope this fixes it.
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I always wait a month or so before installing any new firmware version. Let the "early adopters" find the bugs .
I prefer fresh bugs to stale ones. Updated 4 Kindles: onward and upward!

Still I wish they would add Immersion Reading and ‘real’ TTS on the BT Kindles.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@Almamida: IIRC Kindle will never use 3G connection to download OTA updates, it will only downloaded them while you're on WiFi.

p.s. I've only owned WiFi only models of Kindles, so wait for someone else to confirm my "recollection".
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I leave my Kindle permanently in aeroplane mode.

You're right. No OTA updates via 3G.
Thank you. Then I might almost exclusively use the cellular connection. I'll see how the battery handles it.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I had no update today, either at My Devices nor automatically via WiFi on my PW3.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
I'm hoping "Performance improvements and other general enhancements" is code for your battery won't suck as bad as before.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
I'm hoping "Performance improvements and other general enhancements" is code for your battery won't suck as bad as before.
Are you getting a battery life that's poorer than Amazon advertise?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I had no update today, either at My Devices nor automatically via WiFi on my PW3.
Nor would one expect there to be. There's always a period of at least a couple of weeks between the release of new firmware and the start of it being pushed to devices (presumably to allow time for bugs to be found) after which it's gradually pushed over a period of months.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #15
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I didn't get it when hitting sync, but went to this page:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202200380