Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #16
cedricp
Research User
cedricp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Maybe I missed the attachment...
Attached Files
File Type: gz annot.py.gz (3.4 KB, 501 views)
cedricp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Thanks! I will give this a whirl this weekend. It needs to be used with the database created after syncing using the Sony software, no?
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #18
cedricp
Research User

I don't think so. I never use the sony software as I find it utterly useless...
Old 10-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #19
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, excellent! It hasn't done much but crash for me.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #20
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Any hope for a java script to extract the text annotations, so this can be used on the 700 too?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #21
cedricp
Research User

I guess it really depends on the format of the text annotations. On the 700, do you also have a xml file that contains all the annotations? Can you post an example of such annotation?

Best
Old 10-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #22
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Annotation for Epub or PDF files are stored in this way. Annotation for LRF, I'm not sure about. I'll post an example when I get home and I have access to my 700.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #23
cedricp
Research User

For reference, on the PRS600, overlined text is stored like that:

With a free-hand comment attached:
<annotation date="Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:17:40 GMT" name="123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP Line 5" page="0" pageOffset="0" pages="1" part="0" scale="0" synced="true" dpi="167" width="584" height="754" layoutVersion="1">
<start>I3BkZmxvYyg1OTBlLDAsNDEsMCwwLDAsMCwxKQA=</start>
<end>I3BkZmxvYyg1OTBlLDAsNDEsMTgsMSwwLDEsMSkA</end>
<svgFile width="446" height="315">1256300260258.742.svg</svgFile>
<comment></comment>
</annotation>

With a text comment attached:
<annotation date="Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:18:07 GMT" name="123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP Line 6" page="0" pageOffset="0" pages="1" part="0" scale="0" synced="true" dpi="167" width="584" height="754" layoutVersion="1">
<start>I3BkZmxvYyg1OTBlLDAsNDksMCwwLDAsMCwxKQA=</start> <end>I3BkZmxvYyg1OTBlLDAsNDksMTgsMSwwLDEsMSkA</end>
<comment>jolly good</comment>
</annotation>

With none of the above:
<annotation date="Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:24:19 GMT" name="23456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP Line 7" page="0" pageOffset="0" pages="1" part="0" scale="0" synced="true" dpi="167" width="584" height="754" layoutVersion="1">
<start>I3BkZmxvYyg1OTBlLDAsNTcsMCwwLDAsMSwxKQA=</start>
<end>I3BkZmxvYyg1OTBlLDAsNTcsMTgsMSwwLDEsMSkA</end>
<comment></comment>
</annotation>

The weird text between the start and end tags is just the "pdfloc" reference, in base64 encoding. I don't understand why someone would want to encrypt this kind of thing, and why with this kind of encryption.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #24
NightWhistler
Developer of PageTurner
NightWhistler began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3, Asus Transformer Prime
I did some testing with this earlier: created the same document as ePub and as PDF and selected the same text in both.

For PDF it uses the same pdfloc style to indicate start and end point. I couldn't find a way to reliably trace a pdfloc back to a specific point in the text though.

For the epub it used a different format, indicating the line and position on the line. Again: a start and end point... this does make me think that we'd need a seperate decoder per format... though with ePub, PDF and LRF covered we should have the most important ones covered.

If you want I could upload my sample files including annotations. From what I've seen so far the process would be:
  1. Find the annotation for a specific document
  2. Decode the start- and end-positions
  3. Extract the text between those positions from the original document
  4. Add any annotations entered by the user
  5. Output it all in some kind of readable format.
NightWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #25
cedricp
Research User

It should pretty easy to do that from my python file. However, I will not be able to do it in the next few days. If someone wants to modify the script, please help yourself.

Best
Old 10-24-2009, 03:43 AM   #26
cedricp
Research User

If someone is so inclined, I think the JPedal library could help to recover the annotated text: http://www.jpedal.org/support_egCE.php

The coordinate system should even be consistent the the #pdfloc tab....
Old 10-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #27
leafy
leafy began at the beginning.

thought you might like Sony's take on this issue. This is part of a transcript from online help:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Problem : export of highlighted text cuts off everything after about 100 characters

George_ > Thanks for waiting, Grant. I'm sorry that the exporting the highlighted text cuts off about 100 characters in the Reader. I’ll be glad to assist you with this.

Grant > thanks - how do I fix it as 100 characters is rarely a whole sentence, yet alone enough for a quote from a journal article

George_ > I understand that about 100 characters are cutting down while exproting the highlighted text. Is that correct?

Grant > fromt he highlighted passage, only the first 100 characters are actually exported. the balance of the highlighted passage is left off

Grant > I assume there is a setting somewhere that needs to be altered as it is too absurd to be a limitation on the program itself

George_ > Does it happen with all the eBooks?

Grant > happens with all types of files

Grant > can you open your copy of the reader software, choose a book, highlight a passage and then hit the export button and see if it happens for you

George_ > Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.

George_ > Grant, this is a normal operation in the Reader.

Grant > what do you mean 'normal'?

George_ > Only 100 characters can be highlighted and can be exported in the Reader.

Grant > Are you saying it was designed to have this bizarre limitation

George_ > If more than 100 characters are highlighted, only the first 100 characters will be exported.

George_ > Yes, Grant.

Grant > so it was designed to have this bizare limitation

George_ > Yes, Grant.

Grant > will it be fixed in the future as it makes the function unusable

George_ > I'm sorry, Grant. We are not aware of this being an issue.

Grant > how do I make sony aware of this issue?

George_ > Customer input and response is valuable in the continued support and development of our products.

leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #28
llreader
Mesmerist

Thanks leafy. Sony is afraid of problems from content owners. Still, even with that, 100 characters is absurd. 100 words, maybe.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #29
bjrnfrdnnd
Connoisseur
bjrnfrdnnd began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360˚
note taking/searching/pdf

Hi Cedricp,

i see that you are trying to use the device exactly the way I intend to.
Can you tell me whether it is possible to search for words in a pdf file?
I ask this questions because (astonishing to me) there actually _are_ readers that advertise search/annotate functions, but when you ask for details, it turns out that these functions are _not_ implemented for pdfs (Hanvon n518).
So I have to ask the question this precisely.
Also, I did not fully understand your comment on non-zoomed pdfs.
Can you only make your hand-written annotations in unzoom mode?
If you have a full-fledged two-column technical a4 pdf, you will not even be able to _read_ the thing in non-zoom mode, let alone make useful annotation on it; or can you?

Your program idea looks nice; if I am to buy a prs-600, I most definitely would like to use this program, so thank you already for having written a nice script like that!
bjrnfrdnnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #30
zimmerleut
zimmerleut began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
hi everybody... did anyone succesfully decipher the pdfloc coordinates? Seems to be a bit different from what's been described above.
After all, Adobe uses the same tags, but according to a 2-year old entry in their forum they don't document this.
zimmerleut is offline   Reply With Quote