Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
[DPT-RP1] straight lines?

On my new RP1, lines don't seem to be straight. Drawn with a ruler, I get strange
wriggles. Even in the calibration page, when I draw the X, I get strange wriggles, so it is hard to calibrate. Is it just mine? Should I return it?

Below you can see my lines. All drawn with a ruler on screen (zoomed in... click for full page)

Actually, in this video you can see the problem a bit when the X is drawn. Mine is a bit worse, because the wriggle is in the middle of the X, not the edge:
https://youtu.be/ULCjmqKa5YU?t=5m36s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 18.58.29.png
Views:	3562
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	163115  

Last edited by ghostwheel; 03-27-2018 at 09:03 PM.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #2
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I heard the screen is not straight, so it may draw the line right, just that it will follow the curvatures of the screen and become wavy.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
ghostwheel
Zealot

My screen looks pretty straight.
I just tried Onyx Max, and it doesn't have the wavy line problem.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
ghostwheel
Zealot

My feeling is that it is an anti-aliasing algorithm gone wrong. The waviness seems to depend on the angle and is very regular foreach angle. Could it be that the resolution of the pen is lower than that of the screen, and Sony is trying to make up for that?

Does the RPT-S1 have this problem?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
ghostwheel
Zealot

Sony support said it is a problem with the pen, and they will send me a replacement pen.
Advert
Old 03-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
On my new RP1, lines don't seem to be straight. Drawn with a ruler, I get strange
wriggles. Even in the calibration page, when I draw the X, I get strange wriggles, so it is hard to calibrate. Is it just mine? Should I return it?
It looks like perfectly wriggled straight line to me.
Why would you need perfectly straight line anyway.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
natwest
natwest began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
@ghostwheel did the new pen from Sony solve the problem? I'm having the exact same issue and on most days my DPT-RP1 is basically unusable for any kind of writing. On some days the problem is worse than on others.
natwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:26 AM   #8
ghostwheel
Zealot

I'm not sure what solved the problem. Amazon actually sent me a replacement tablet. I tried all combinations of pen x tablet but couldn't see much difference, and now the problem is almost gone. (I kept my old tablet with the new pen).
Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #9
mb706
mb706 began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-RP1
I have a similar problem, only it gets worse when I'm resting my hand on the tablet next to the lines (click for large version):

(Tablet is lying sideways. The two leftmost lines were drawn without my hand, the others were drawn with my hand resting as shown. Same effect with right hand and lines to the left of my hand.)

This effect only appears when a large part of my hand is resting on the display (a fingertip is not enough), and if the area resting on the screen is "pointing" along the pixel grid lines (up/down or left/right, but not diagonal). The squiggles appear only on the area next to the hand (where it is "pointing" to) as seen on the picture: the lines are less squiggly at the top / bottom. Also, when I put a towel between my hand and the tablet the effect vanishes, so I don't think it is because of the pressure of my hand bending the device.

I am assuming the electronics for the capacitative touch screen conflicts with the stylus in some way. The touch screen electrodes are faintly visible as a horizontal / vertical grid pattern, so it would make sense to me if these electrodes get overloaded in some way by being in contact with too much skin, and then go on to interfere with the stylus sensing part. I don't think it is a problem from anti-aliasing, since the resolution when drawing is actually quite high.

This does not only affect lines, but any kind of shape becomes "bumpy". Because of the way I hold my hand while writing, it can become quite irritating, unless I put a towel or similar below the palm of my hand. Is this a problem by design (does anyone of you have the same problem), or do I have a defective device?

Last edited by mb706; 08-08-2018 at 06:16 AM.
mb706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb706 View Post
Is this a problem by design (does anyone of you have the same problem), or do I have a defective device?
Just tested it on my device, and it is indeed your hand interfering with the capacitive screen that causes it
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote