Notices

Old 04-19-2018, 01:22 AM   #16
svosg13
Enthusiast
svosg13 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, DPT-S1, DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtrans View Post
I Appreciate the link, didn't know about a mid-April embargo.
Hoping and wishing that the new model will be more open in it's architecture.

I don't think so, it's just another mini version of the RP1. It's unfortunate that Sony's hard headed mindset is an opportunity for the Chinese hackers to earn cheap and easy money. From the taobao list, the customer has to pay more or less $500 bucks for the crack service. And they have already done for hundreds of devices....
svosg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #17
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
The problem with the Sony DP series is not running open Android, cause this is not what they advertise the device to be, you have to give them the right to design the device the way they see fit to their business model, then buy it or not.

The problem is, if you advertise that the device is a PDF reader, then fully support PDF, it's not the case in Sony (I own DPT-S1), and it got even worse with the DPT-RP1, compared to Onyx for example which allow you to trim the margins and, save the zoom settings and more, the sony reader PDF experience just leave you in need for more.

I'm looking at the end of my DPT-S1 use, since it started to run out of battery fast and 150 DPI is not sharp enough for me, I still think the Sony devices are good, but I don't think I will go Sony this time, I'm done cropping and styling PDF on my computer to make them look readable on the Sony (ok, I had to rant a little, sorry)
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by allochi View Post
The problem with the Sony DP series is not running open Android, cause this is not what they advertise the device to be, you have to give them the right to design the device the way they see fit to their business model, then buy it or not.

The problem is, if you advertise that the device is a PDF reader, then fully support PDF, it's not the case in Sony (I own DPT-S1), and it got even worse with the DPT-RP1, compared to Onyx for example which allow you to trim the margins and, save the zoom settings and more, the sony reader PDF experience just leave you in need for more.

I'm looking at the end of my DPT-S1 use, since it started to run out of battery fast and 150 DPI is not sharp enough for me, I still think the Sony devices are good, but I don't think I will go Sony this time, I'm done cropping and styling PDF on my computer to make them look readable on the Sony (ok, I had to rant a little, sorry)
To be fair to Sony, the device is not advertised as a PDF reader. It is meant for marking up PDF documents. Trimming margins and setting zoom levels are more useful for reading than for annotating.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
To be fair to Sony, the device is not advertised as a PDF reader. It is meant for marking up PDF documents. Trimming margins and setting zoom levels are more useful for reading than for annotating.
Seems like a dysfunctional view by Sony? You should be able to read what you annotate.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Seems like a dysfunctional view by Sony? You should be able to read what you annotate.
Lots of annotation is done in the margins, so cropping the margins isn't very useful for that.
Advert
Old 04-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Lots of annotation is done in the margins, so cropping the margins isn't very useful for that.
I still don't see it. If I am going to be doing a lot of annotating, I want a PC.

It is probably one of those cases where you have to try it to like it, and I'm not going to try it unless it has some basic functionality.

YMMV.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #22
rkomar
Wizard

Here's a brief description from Sony's webpage for the device: "A better way to read and write. In a world overwhelmed with paper, Sony introduces a revolutionary way to work. Digital Paper from Sony, in conjunction with a cloud service, gives you the power to annotate, share, and save your documents – all from a handy device that's light enough to carry anywhere."

The original device was intended for professionals, and was paired with back-end software you could license to make saving and sharing documents within an organization easier. So, these devices are designed primarily for that. If you want to use it as a reader, that's up to you, but don't blame Sony for not meeting your needs for that, because they never claimed that they would.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #23
a00tkh
a00tkh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite gen1, Sony DPT-S1, reMarkable Tablet
I agree that DPT-RP1 may have a better spec than DPT-S1 but the software experience seems terrible, there are two things I believe Sony must improve:

1. Stop forcing the user transfer documents via Cloud/ their own file transfer system, it is much better to transfer documents via the USB cable.

2. Adding the "Move to Page" function in DPT-RP1, I know that this function will be added in the upcoming update. But people request it since the hardware released and Sony did nothing to address the issue within this year.

Not sure will DPT-CP1 do better than DPT-DP1 or DPT-CP1 is just a smaller DPT-RP1 with the same software package
a00tkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #24
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by a00tkh View Post
I agree that DPT-RP1 may have a better spec than DPT-S1 but the software experience seems terrible, there are two things I believe Sony must improve:

1. Stop forcing the user transfer documents via Cloud/ their own file transfer system, it is much better to transfer documents via the USB cable.
I don't think DPT-RP1 goes though the cloud. It goes through the network, which can either be BT, Wifi, or USB cable. But it would be nice to be able to mount the device and just handle the files. I think one problem is that Android pretty much gave up that option because of google's decision. So I can't mount any of my phones other than through "android file transfer" (yuk). Except for a lot of bugs that need fixing, syncing with the DPT-RP1 works well....

Quote:
2. Adding the "Move to Page" function in DPT-RP1, I know that this function will be added in the upcoming update. But people request it since the hardware released and Sony did nothing to address the issue within this year.

Not sure will DPT-CP1 do better than DPT-DP1 or DPT-CP1 is just a smaller DPT-RP1 with the same software package
This is a problem. It would be nice to have a script that converts the table of contents to a page of links, maybe adds a page of links to every page, and maybe adds a link back to the TOC to every page. That shouldn't be very hard to implement.

Has anyone heard of such a tool? Maybe Calibre can do it...

Last edited by ghostwheel; 04-21-2018 at 06:22 PM.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #25
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
amazon.com has DPT-CP1 as pre-order at the moment for $600.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #26
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post

This is a problem. It would be nice to have a script that converts the table of contents to a page of links, maybe adds a page of links to every page, and maybe adds a link back to the TOC to every page. That shouldn't be very hard to implement.

Has anyone heard of such a tool? Maybe Calibre can do it...
You can create TOC bookmarks and TOC hyperlinks beforehand, using PC and an appropriate pdf editor, if only DPT-CP' pdf reader can recognize those TOC links and bookmarks.

Making an E-PDF with linked toc & index;

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=262659

Quote:

Without "Move to Page" and "Back" functions (e.g. to get back to the starting page 200 after reading the reference notes on the page 450) and maybe "Bookmark" function, any pdf reading experience is really rudimentary, so (as multi-tab feature is probably missing too) we are then forced to use another e-reader/tablet simultaneously to quickly jump to references, notes, toc etc. and back, as when there is need for the color recognition, better dictionary, better searching etc.

Last edited by Marinolino; 05-03-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #27
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
"A better way to read and write. In a world overwhelmed with paper, Sony introduces a revolutionary way to work. Digital Paper from Sony, in conjunction with a cloud service, gives you the power to annotate, share, and save your documents – all from a handy device that's light enough to carry anywhere."
to my knowledge, the business world doesn't work with just the pdf document format.
ms office and simple plain text format compatibility should have been included. i'm not saying that the user should have the ability to edit any data, just be able to open up these document types. since ms office documents and text documents cannot be saved with annotations, if you choose to annotate these and then save, the saved version would be saved in pdf format, leaving the original file intact.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #28
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
to my knowledge, the business world doesn't work with just the pdf document format.
ms office and simple plain text format compatibility should have been included. i'm not saying that the user should have the ability to edit any data, just be able to open up these document types. since ms office documents and text documents cannot be saved with annotations, if you choose to annotate these and then save, the saved version would be saved in pdf format, leaving the original file intact.
Being able to read all potential office documents and converting them to PDF on the device sounds like a gigantic and risky software undertaking, especially when some document formats aren't even standardized. It makes more sense to just export the office document to PDF using the native application that created it.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:33 AM   #29
Joonlego
Joonlego began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:

I will very happy with DPT-RP1 hardware with DPT-S1 software (plus RP1's split screen feature).
Joonlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #30
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Being able to read all potential office documents and converting them to PDF on the device sounds like a gigantic and risky software undertaking, especially when some document formats aren't even standardized. It makes more sense to just export the office document to PDF using the native application that created it.
but ms office documents are standardized. current formats are even open (based on xml). this was actually put in place starting with office 2007. with knowledge of xml, a coder could actually put together a word document without actually having ms word installed. and ms office is the most widely used office package in the world.

Last edited by rem736; 05-04-2018 at 01:23 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote