Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #136
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
There is a reason that all of the tor.com free ebookclub books were the the first of a series (except for one, but it was book 2 and book 1 was on sale at the same time). Getting someone to read one of an author’s books is a very effective marketing strategy for authors. On the writing excuses podcast, they have said the best thing you can do to support authors is lend someone one of their books.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #137
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to jump in and say that most samples do not give you enough of the book to decide is like it or not.
That reminds me of a sample I got from Amazon. For "Ender's Game". Yeah, the famous one that everybody has probably read (except me). I downloaded the sample, and it was a bunch of pages of "Why did I write this book? Thanks, Mom and Dad." And other trivia. I finally scrolled far enough to find the real start of the book. And then the sample ended. Yeah, right there on page one of the actual book. I started laughing. I might have to go back and re-download the sample to see if it is still this way.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 12:29 AM   #138
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
That reminds me of a sample I got from Amazon. For "Ender's Game". Yeah, the famous one that everybody has probably read (except me). I downloaded the sample, and it was a bunch of pages of "Why did I write this book? Thanks, Mom and Dad." And other trivia. I finally scrolled far enough to find the real start of the book. And then the sample ended. Yeah, right there on page one of the actual book. I started laughing. I might have to go back and re-download the sample to see if it is still this way.
You are not the only one that hasn't read it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:41 AM   #139
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
To go further off-topic, I read and enjoyed Ender's Game as well as many of Card's other books. However, enjoyable as Ender's Game was, I am quite surprised at the extent to which some people have gone overboard for it. I thought the second book in the series, Speaker for the Dead, was outstanding and far superior to Ender's Game.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:25 AM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The full cast audiobook of Ender's Game is excellent. Well worth listening to.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #141
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I thought the second book in the series, Speaker for the Dead, was outstanding and far superior to Ender's Game.
That's actually a fairly common sentiment.

For me, Ender's Game was amazing in part due to reading it when I was 12. I doubt it would have had the same impact on me as an adult.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #142
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
For me, Ender's Game was amazing in part due to reading it when I was 12. I doubt it would have had the same impact on me as an adult.
Ah, 12. The golden age of science fiction.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote