Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
.graham
.graham began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Latin Extended-A Font Support?

Hey All,

I've just received my Sony Reader 505 ( UK version ) and have been busy searching these forums for a way to display characters from the "Latin Extended-A" series.

I've tried flashing the unit using PrsCustomizer ( PRSC ) to both the US and UK firmware versions with both "Unicode" and "Custom" font options selected. I edited an appropriate font ( a DejaVu ttf ) using the excellent guide available on the forums and used it in conjunction with the "Custom" font option but to no avail.

Inspecting the supplied PRSC "Unicode" font and my custom DejaVu font with "Font Creator" I can clearly see that the glyphs I'm after are included in the data. After flashing the Reader the "clock" is available on the status bar and the font does appear to have been updated, so I think the flashing procedure is working correctly.

Unfortunately no matter what I do the glyphs in the Calibre created ePub files display with a "?" mark on the Reader. Opening the generated ePub files with the Calibre viewing programme correctly displays the glyphs, so I guess the ePub files are correct.

I'm a little stumped as to what the problem is, anybody have any ideas?

Cheers,

Graham.
.graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Have you replaced all three fonts or just one? Also, check whether your .epub file has embedded fonts.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
.graham
.graham began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Hey Igorsk,

Thanks for the hints and tips. I've actually managed to get the Reader to correctly display the characters. After remembering that the Reader directly supports reading TXT and RTF files without the need to convert to ePub, LRF etc. I just dropped the source files onto the Reader and voila!

I'm not sure if the problem lies with the conversion process using Calibre or not but UTF-8 encoded text files work perfectly after flashing the Reader with Unicode support via PRSC.

Cheers,

Graham.
.graham is offline   Reply With Quote