Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #32101
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I'm sorry, Issy. I didn't mean to start this, that's for sure. I just wanted to vent about a bad driver. I'm so sorry.
Your post was fine; that's what V&R is for. People are jerks! What is not fine is for posts to be seized on to espouse political agendas, such as who should pay for public goods.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #32102
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Your post was fine; that's what V&R is for. People are jerks! What is not fine is for posts to be seized on to espouse political agendas, such as who should pay for public goods.
Thanks, Issy.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #32103
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Nor should Moderators make editorial comments. Telling people to change where items are discussed is fine.

Calling them jerks is stepping over the line. Inasmuch as the comments are directly tied to the Moderator's function as Moderator several post up, I do not accept any separation between that Moderator's personal posting and the Moderator's profession posting.

RSE
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #32104
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Relax. She was referring to the public at large, not the posters in the thread! The whole point of the V&R thread is that people are jerks and we like to have a place to vent about them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #32105
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Relax. She was referring to the public at large, not the posters in the thread! The whole point of the V&R thread is that people are jerks and we like to have a place to vent about them.
One hopes. The phraseology is certainly ambiguous.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #32106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Nor should Moderators make editorial comments. Telling people to change where items are discussed is fine.

Calling them jerks is stepping over the line. Inasmuch as the comments are directly tied to the Moderator's function as Moderator several post up, I do not accept any separation between that Moderator's personal posting and the Moderator's profession posting.

RSE
Relax. I was referring to, and agreeing with, covingtoncat's comment, "People are such jerks!" i.e., those who cut her off in the bike lane.

It's beyond me that anyone would think I'd call members jerks; name-calling isn't part of my stock in trade. A little thought could have prevented a hot-headed response. Perhaps ask for clarification before jumping to a conclusion?

And now, back on topic, please.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #32107
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
So as you know my sister died right....and she didn't have any life insurance of any kind. So I had to try to raise funds. My brother in Canada put up 50% of the cost and I started a fundraiser to get up the rest. I've been able to raise half of what was left so I just need the other half now but here's my rant. My brother who lives in the next town over has not given one dime toward my sister's expenses. However he's currently going through her house picking out things he wants from her possessions. I'm livid. He con mom to give him the key.

He hasn't done anything. Not one thing since my sister passed. I've had to do everything. My brother in Canada has helped as much as one can in another country but my other brother nothing. I asked him for a donation but he says he doesn't have it yet he was able to throw a big BBQ yesterday and another one today while my sister is laying in her crypt with no headstone because I haven't finished paying off the expenses. How can he live with himself!?!?

I had to put mom in a skilled nursing facility which will incur some out of pocket costs that Medicaid doesn't cover like laundry, clothes, beauty salon costs.....etc. I still can't believe this is happening. I found the animals all homes as well. So we don't have to drive all the way there each day to take care of them.

I just can't believe he expects me to believe he has no money when he has very good paying job. Surely he could give something......strangers have given more than he has.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you have your burial costs taken care of and a Will. It will save your love ones so much hardships after your gone. None of us expect to die suddenly but it could happen at any time no matter our age or health. My cousin was in a bad wreck yesterday she's barely twenty and a new mother. She's going to be okay once her broken bones heal but just like that your life could be over.

The average funeral costs here are $15000 I got lucky that a relative gave an extra crypt they had so with my sister I've only had to pay for body care, funeral, casket and transportation to graveyard and finally a headstone.

It's been a hard lesson to learn everything that happens when you are the one to handle such matters.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #32108
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So as you know my sister died right....and she didn't have any life insurance of any kind. So I had to try to raise funds. My brother in Canada put up 50% of the cost and I started a fundraiser to get up the rest. I've been able to raise half of what was left so I just need the other half now but here's my rant. My brother who lives in the next town over has not given one dime toward my sister's expenses. However he's currently going through her house picking out things he wants from her possessions. I'm livid. He con mom to give him the key.

He hasn't done anything. Not one thing since my sister passed. I've had to do everything. My brother in Canada has helped as much as one can in another country but my other brother nothing. I asked him for a donation but he says he doesn't have it yet he was able to throw a big BBQ yesterday and another one today while my sister is laying in her crypt with no headstone because I haven't finished paying off the expenses. How can he live with himself!?!?

I had to put mom in a skilled nursing facility which will incur some out of pocket costs that Medicaid doesn't cover like laundry, clothes, beauty salon costs.....etc. I still can't believe this is happening. I found the animals all homes as well. So we don't have to drive all the way there each day to take care of them.

I just can't believe he expects me to believe he has no money when he has very good paying job. Surely he could give something......strangers have given more than he has.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you have your burial costs taken care of and a Will. It will save your love ones so much hardships after your gone. None of us expect to die suddenly but it could happen at any time no matter our age or health. My cousin was in a bad wreck yesterday she's barely twenty and a new mother. She's going to be okay once her broken bones heal but just like that your life could be over.

The average funeral costs here are $15000 I got lucky that a relative gave an extra crypt they had so with my sister I've only had to pay for body care, funeral, casket and transportation to graveyard and finally a headstone.

It's been a hard lesson to learn everything that happens when you are the one to handle such matters.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Ahh, the vultures. It happened when both my grandmothers died. My parents took care of them for decades. No, not exaggerating, both lived well into their 90s. Not all just money help, but house repairs, driving to and fro for Dr. appts, grocery shopping, etc. Only one other sibling of dad's helped at all, and mom's brother did nothing. But wow, as soon as they died, the vultures showed up at the houses and just picked them clean! Just disgusting.
I'm sorry you are going through all this.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #32109
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So as you know my sister died right....and she didn't have any life insurance of any kind. <snippage>

Sent from my Nexus 7
Very simple--you're the executor, yes?

Change. The. Lock.

That's what I did, in a similar situation. Do it NOW. Don't give your mom another key, which she obviously doesn't need and can't control. Not sure you have the legal standing? Tough. Do it anyway, and let the authorities sort it out later.

Also, those funeral costs are ridiculous. Cremation is ~$1800-$2500 tops. I would NEVER pay for a headstone, those are obscenely priced for no good damn reason--it's not like the old days, when masons carved them by hand.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #32110
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm with Hitch on this. Change the lock. Now. No question, no discussion, just do it.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #32111
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The spammers really seem to be coming out of the woodwork this evening. What do they actually hope to get?
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #32112
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The spammers really seem to be coming out of the woodwork this evening. What do they actually hope to get?
Yeah, I saw that last night and wondered how many clicks they think they're going to get - this is primarily an English-language forum and they posted all those threads with titles in Chinese or whatever language that was (I can't tell one Asian language from another).
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #32113
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
While I found it annoying, I also found the prompt and effective response of the Greenies (Moderators) here to be exemplary. Thanks again for all you do to keep this place free of such crap!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #32114
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
After a great three days at a theme park I come home and my sun allergy strikes again. Luckily, so far, only on my chest. But the itchiness is annoying and distracting.

The last time anti-histamines worked great and I always have some in my medicine drawer this time of year. So I just took one and hope it will start working soon.

An entirely different rant: I don't like books anymore, at least not the paper kind. I got one so that I would have to carry around my Kindle in the theme park. But I'll be glad when I've finished the book. It's cumbersome, big and it doesn't have a build in light. It also doesn't have a dictionary (I tried pressing a word) and I keep losing my place because the bookmarks keeps falling out.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #32115
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
An entirely different rant: I don't like books anymore, at least not the paper kind. I got one so that I would have to carry around my Kindle in the theme park. But I'll be glad when I've finished the book. It's cumbersome, big and it doesn't have a build in light. It also doesn't have a dictionary (I tried pressing a word) and I keep losing my place because the bookmarks keeps falling out.
All those things, AND the type doesn't scale for when I don't have my glasses with me.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness