Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Python Master
Python Master began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Post Kindle 8th Generation Disassembly

Hello,

Are there any guides for taking apart the 8th generation Kindle (Not the Oasis).

I can't find any guides that help in doing this. I want to take apart my reader but I also don't want to destroy it.

Thanks!
Python Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Did you try the master index for the topic of "teardown"?

Since you already eliminated one of the three 8th. generation models, how about telling us the actual model of the two possibilities remaining?

To find anything here, you really do need to use the appropriate, serial number based, model nicknames, see:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
In the case of 8th. gen devices, use the first six characters of the serial number.

Last edited by knc1; 04-05-2018 at 09:24 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Python Master

Thanks for the reply, my model is the G000K9 - Kindle Basic 2 (Black) - KT3.

I was able to take off the face plate and a couple of the screws but some are behind the screen and I'm not sure what is glue and what isn't.

I don't want to damage the board.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python Master View Post
Thanks for the reply, my model is the G000K9 - Kindle Basic 2 (Black) - KT3.

I was able to take off the face plate and a couple of the screws but some are behind the screen and I'm not sure what is glue and what isn't.

I don't want to damage the board.
IIRC, there are 11 or 12 screws (all same size).
Look closely, some of them may be hidden under the double sided tape.

= = = =

What is it you are wanting to do that requires that you take the device apart?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #5
02xda2
moddedmad
02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
...... - KT3.
................... I don't want to damage the board.
There are seven screws and none of them are behind the screen..

02xda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
Python Master

I don't think you're looking at the same device here's an image of the device with some of the screws taken out but you can see there are more hidden behind the screen https://imgur.com/a/KcryY.

I'm hoping to add a serial connection and put my own e ink operating system on the device, and poke around with the different files on the device but I can't do that without getting a serial connection.

I don't think that there is a jailbreak solution for the 8th gen, at least I couldn't find one.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I don't think you're looking at the same device here's an image of the device with some of the screws taken out but you can see there are more hidden behind the screen https://imgur.com/a/KcryY.

I'm hoping to add a serial connection and put my own e ink operating system on the device, and poke around with the different files on the device but I can't do that without getting a serial connection.

I don't think that there is a jailbreak solution for the 8th gen, at least I couldn't find one.
It has been posted here since July 4, 2016
So you just need to look a little bit harder, it isn't hidden, you don't even have to leave the first page of the forum index to find it.

"Put your own e-ink operating system on the device..."
That will be an interesting post to read about here, if you are not just dreaming.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
kapaggar
kapaggar began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
I am right now dissembling Kindle 8th Generation and stuck at the same point as this guy
- Face plate off main chassis hold by 2side sticky tape.
- 4 corner scrwes removed.
- Some black platic hard plate is covering the main display and behind this plate are rest of the screw.

Suprisingly there are no teardown videos of KT3 on youtube , ifixit and even here. 2 people have made threads here achieving access to serial debug points.. one of them @02xda2 has even commented in this thread.
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=287950
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293870

but none of them posted any images.. I am documenting the progress with images but so far so solution in sight for taking board out of back case.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...8th+generation
kapaggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Which "8th generation" device?
If you mean the KT3, then there is no difference from the earlier touchscreen models.

If you mean the KV, well lots of luck.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
rolx
rolx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT3 (G900K9)
I'm stuck on the disassembly too, there were 2 screws in top corners, but i cant access more, 2 more are partly visible under the black glossy plastic that's over the screen.
rolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
kapaggar
kapaggar began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolx View Post
I'm stuck on the disassembly too, there were 2 screws in top corners, but i cant access more, 2 more are partly visible under the black glossy plastic that's over the screen.
There are 5 screws under the lower part of hard plate. it feels brittle and part of glass so i was afraid to flex it too much. But removing the 2sided tape below this hard plate will let you open the screws beneath it.

now I am looking for UART serial port config / polarity parity baudrate etc for this device. If anyone has any info please add , I searched more than I expected and still no clue ..
Nearest match is http://www.xodustech.com/guides/kind...te-demo-unlock

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle8gen-dissembly-hiddenscrews.jpg
Views:	2399
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	164088  
kapaggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:38 AM   #12
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Maybe this will help you:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondam...th/6466355127/
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
That is the original KT, not the KT3 (if KT3 is the "8th. generation" device under discussion).

Teardowns can also be found indexed in our "Master Index" under the section heading of: "Teardown" (Duh...).

Master Index?
See sticky thread with "Where do I start" in its title.

And this site is about devices intended for people who read, or at least read the sticky section of the index page.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #14
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is the original KT, not the KT3 (if KT3 is the "8th. generation" device under discussion).
[/COLOR]
I know.
That pictures were successfully applied to serial debricking of KT3 by a user in our forum.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
I know.
That pictures were successfully applied to serial debricking of KT3 by a user in our forum.
With the exception of the two Oasis models, the serial port pin-out pads have been the same since the K4. (only the location on the board varies with model, none of the details)
Any of our serial port threads with pictures will work better than telling someone to use the wrong reference information.