Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Firmware for older Sonys?

I've got several (currently too many) older (505, x00 and x50) Sony eReaders now and I'm finding that the firmware varies. For example I (currently) have four 300s (two were bought because they had lighted covers and I won't be keeping all of them) with two firmware releases – 1.0.00.18160 and 1.0.00.24180. And three 505s (one with firmware 1.1.00.18040 and two with firmware 1.1.01.25200). It doesn't appear that Sony allows firmware updates for these older eReaders. Am I missing something? And does it matter? I'm assuming something was fixed in the newer firmware releases but I don't know if it was significant.

At any rate, thank you for any suggestions and/or information. I really like Sony eReaders (probably too much) but I find it odd that firmware isn't available for download somewhere. Or maybe I'm missing something?

(Actually, taking another look at Sony, I see they do have firmware for the 505 (not 300) available for download, but it's the older version (1.1.00.18040) not the newer. It gets weirder.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-03-2018 at 07:23 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #2
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
As you are the lucky owner of several SW versions of the same hardware, you may test them and see what the real differences are, and which FW is to be kept.
Still useful, even if the HW is a bit old.

Just to be crystal clear, in case you wonder why I am asking this - the last FW is not always the best solution.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:48 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
As you are the lucky owner of several SW versions of the same hardware, you may test them and see what the real differences are, and which FW is to be kept.
Still useful, even if the HW is a bit old.

Just to be crystal clear, in case you wonder why I am asking this - the last FW is not always the best solution.
I understand that. I think (just by scanning old posts) that some of the newer versions of software were only available in certain regions of the world. So far I haven't seen any difference in the performance of the different versions. So, besides curiosity, I guess it's really not much of an issue.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:06 AM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, different parts of the globe may have different requirements and consequently there are maybe more features one doesn't need elsewhere, and consequently new bugs to be fixed - which other FW do not need.

Two FW differences I am aware of are the fonts and the spelling/dictionaries (words + software). I also assume that RTL countries (IL + Arabian) have a different FW as well.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony Readers never did support ePub 3. So they do not support RTL.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:11 AM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
You can still download software updates for Sony Readers here (Select Reader Digital Book as Product Category)

There's a changelog for each software update in the download page.

For what I see you can only download the latest firmware update for each reader. Anyway, Sony didn't release regular firmware updates, for example, there's only one update for the 505 (adds ePub and Adobe DRM support).

Good luck
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:18 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can download firmware for the 350, but not the 300.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony Readers never did support ePub 3. So they do not support RTL.
When I bought my T1 I leaned that it was the chosen model for the chosen people to read their Thora.

I personally never read RTL nor have any knowledge thereof, but I found a photo in 5 seconds research time on the net.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I personally never read RTL nor have any knowledge thereof, but I found a photo in 5 seconds research time on the net.
And now it finally occurred to me what RTL means. Right to left. I was going to look it up.