Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #226
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Epub output is getting closer to a reality, but since the original author of PDFRead was going to add it in his v2.0 release of the program, I was holding off.

I may just go ahead and beat him to it, though. However, I will need to brush up on my python programming skills first.
Nice! Didn't think he was still working on it! Anyway i'm sure alot of people are waiting for epub!

Btw one last question, tried checking the docs but doesn t seem clear, whats the difference between portrait-full and portrait mode it says portrait-full is for one fixed page, but i m not sure i fallow. Does it really make a difference for pdf scans if i use the regular or the portrait full option?

Edit: Tried both, one doing it in full and the second computer in regular. Checked both with the sony viewer and frankly i can't tell whats the difference...

Last edited by Student1; 03-22-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #227
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
Nice! Didn't think he was still working on it! Anyway i'm sure alot of people are waiting for epub!

Btw one last question, tried checking the docs but doesn t seem clear, whats the difference between portrait-full and portrait mode it says portrait-full is for one fixed page, but i m not sure i fallow. Does it really make a difference for pdf scans if i use the regular or the portrait full option?

Edit: Tried both, one doing it in full and the second computer in regular. Checked both with the sony viewer and frankly i can't tell whats the difference...
'portrait-full' guarantees one image per scanned page, where 'portrait' mode may yield more images if the scanned page is tall and skinny since the left-right width can be expanded to the screen size and thus requiring more images to render that (enlarged) scanned page in horizontal strips.

They can yield the same results in some circumstances.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #228
Student1
Groupie

Makes sense! Thanks for the info! Left it at regular portrait, the lrf i m getting are just gorgeous! Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #229
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Makes sense! Thanks for the info! Left it at regular portrait, the lrf i m getting are just gorgeous! Thanks for all your help!!!
No, problem!

Consider posting a sample conversion/extract and the settings you used to create it, when you're done.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #230
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
No, problem!

Consider posting a sample conversion/extract and the settings you used to create it, when you're done.
Sure!

Here is the batch .bat i created to make the conversions :
(took a sample and changed the settings)

Code:
@echo off
cls

rem ============== batch processing options
set LOC=C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFRead
set OPT=-p prs505-p -i pdf -c "Eyewitness Guides" -f "lrf" -m "portrait" -r "none"  --dpi "600" --colorspace "rgb" --colors "256" --optimize

rem ============== do not change below this line
set DIR=%~dp0
if not '%1' == '' set DIR=%1

for %%I in (%DIR%\*.pdf) do title PDFRead: converting "%%~nI" & "%LOC%\bin\pdfread" %OPT% -t "%%~nI" -o "%%~dpnI" "%%~fI"

rem ==== uncomment the line below and comment the above one to debug (by adding/removing the rem)
rem ==== for %%I in (%DIR%\*.pdf) do title PDFRead: converting "%%~nI" & echo "%LOC%\bin\pdfread" %OPT% -t "%%~nI" -o "%%~dpnI" "%%~fI"

title PDFRead: batch conversion complete.
pause
for a pic whats the best way to extract one page from a lrf? Was thinking print screen/photo shop but you ll loose all the quality by doing that.
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #231
nrapallo

Quote:
for a pic whats the best way to extract one page from a lrf? Was thinking print screen/photo shop but you ll loose all the quality by doing that.
That should suffice. For the quality, a sample .lrf would show that off perfectly!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #232
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
That should suffice. For the quality, a sample .lrf would show that off perfectly!
I 've been checking some of the results and the first ones are near perfect. But as the batch is working it started doing some Eyewitness books (very high quality scan). Now the difference is night and day between the lrf and the pdf, the pdf can be zoomed to the max and it still looks sharp, now the lrf start showing some bluriness at 5x zoom and also the size of the lrt is twice the size of the pdf : 17 megs vs 34 megs. Anything i ve done wrong with the options i checked?

Edit: Problem is more likely with the size of the books, they are a lot longer than usual... anyway these will not viewable on any current device. I ll keep them handy in pdf format for the time being !

Last edited by Student1; 03-23-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #233
Student1
Groupie

Well i have done a lot of testing and it seems that these are the settings for the prs 505 :

Code:
@echo off
cls

rem ============== batch processing options
set LOC=C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFRead
set OPT=-p prs505-p -i pdf -c "Mythology" -f "lrf" -m "portrait" -r "none" --vres=800 --hres=600  --dpi "600" --colorspace "rgb" --colors "256" --optimize

rem ============== do not change below this line
set DIR=%~dp0
if not '%1' == '' set DIR=%1

for %%I in (%DIR%\*.pdf) do title PDFRead: converting "%%~nI" & "%LOC%\bin\pdfread" %OPT% -t "%%~nI" -o "%%~dpnI" "%%~fI"

rem ==== uncomment the line below and comment the above one to debug (by adding/removing the rem)
rem ==== for %%I in (%DIR%\*.pdf) do title PDFRead: converting "%%~nI" & echo "%LOC%\bin\pdfread" %OPT% -t "%%~nI" -o "%%~dpnI" "%%~fI"

title PDFRead: batch conversion complete.
pause

--vres=800 --hres=600 did a great job at using the maximum portion of the screen. Without setting this the bottom and right side would have a hufe margin. Zooming was still an option but it would cut 2 lines from the bottom paragraph.

I'm doing one more run and i will post my results and start my batch !

Here are the results, it will almost max the bottom and ofcourse leave a margin on the right side which is normal if you want to keep ratio.

here are the images :

First run without resizing :

Second run with the resizing :

It is close but it makes the text readable on the viewer without the need to zoom.

anyway let me know what you think !

Last edited by Student1; 03-25-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #234
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by malife View Post
Here they are Nick. The three formats from PDFRead, Mobipocket Creator and Calibre. I confirm again the PDFRead version has blank pages every other page, at least it displays so in the Kindle 2. Interesting how the Calibre file is noticeably larger (almost 3 times) than the other two.

Thank you so much for the tip on the PaperCrop app. Really useful specially for papers. Thanks!
Thanks to a recent heads up from wallcraft, the Kindle2 may appear to support a smaller max. screen size than the K1 i.e. 520×622 vs 524×640 respectively.

In that case, the settings below, may become the "new" Kindle2 profile that should be adopted.

Anyone experiencing the "blank page" problem care to confirm this?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #235
Student1
Groupie

Hi,

just wondering why there would be a gs.exe pop up coming up saying gs.exe has stoped working. When i click ok conversion continues until the error pops in again. Almost completed all my books but i have 4-5 books that keep getting this pop up and 1 more that gives an error and doesn t create the LRF.

PS: I'm doing that book again so i can write the error code it gives.

Here's the error i get with one of the files :

Quote:
Creating file ... Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pdfread.py", line 207, in <module>
File "pdfread.py", line 86, in main
File "output.pyc", line 274, in generate
File "pylrs\pylrs.pyc", line 472, in renderLrf
File "pylrs\pylrs.pyc", line 250, in toLrf
File "pylrs\pylrs.pyc", line 246, in toLrfDelegates
File "pylrs\pylrs.pyc", line 250, in toLrf
File "pylrs\pylrs.pyc", line 246, in toLrfDelegates
File "pylrs\pylrs.pyc", line 561, in toLrf
File "pylrs\elements.pyc", line 70, in toString
File "pylrs\elements.pyc", line 78, in write
File "pylrs\elements.pyc", line 53, in _write
File "pylrs\elements.pyc", line 53, in _write
File "pylrs\elements.pyc", line 44, in _write
File "pylrs\elements.pyc", line 27, in _writeAttribute
File "pylrs\elements.pyc", line 15, in _encodeCdata
File "encodings\utf_8.pyc", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 12-14: invalid d
ata

Last edited by Student1; 04-06-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #236
nrapallo

Quote:
Hi,

just wondering why there would be a gs.exe pop up coming up saying gs.exe has stoped working. When i click ok conversion continues until the error pops in again. Almost completed all my books but i have 4-5 books that keep getting this pop up and 1 more that gives an error and doesn t create the LRF.

PS: I'm doing that book again so i can write the error code it gives.

Here's the error i get with one of the files :
It appears to be a specific .pdf encoding issue that I have never seen before.

Try "printing" or saving that .pdf to a another .pdf and hopefully any incompatibilities will be removed.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #237
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
It appears to be a specific .pdf encoding issue that I have never seen before.

Try "printing" or saving that .pdf to a another .pdf and hopefully any incompatibilities will be removed.
You are genious my friend!!! I did try saving with different encoding but i never tried forcing an adobe print save ! Will do it for all the five books and give it another try thanks!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #238
crj
Professor
crj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
PDFRead settings for technical papers (pdf) on the Kindle 2?

Hi,

I am trying to find the best settings for PDFRead to read technical papers with lots of equations on my recently acquired Kindle 2. Thanks to Nick Rappalo, I've been able to iterate to what seem to be good settings (see attached screen capture below), however, I would be very interested if others have found better settings.

Thanks!

Chris (crj)

Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFRead-Screen-Capture.png
Views:	562
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	27577
crj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #239
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crj View Post
Hi,

I am trying to find the best settings for PDFRead to read technical papers with lots of equations on my recently acquired Kindle 2. Thanks to Nick Rapallo, I've been able to iterate to what seem to be good settings (see attached screen capture below), however, I would be very interested if others have found better settings.
Hi Chris:

Those settings look good.

Especially when using the new MinFilter 5 dilate (see pdfread-MinFilter5-mod-bin.zip) provided with the Sony PRS update. However, that update is still of interest even for Kindle users.

Just a note that if the original .pdf is of high quality/resolution and the DPI setting is too high, then the dilation effect can be reduced/negated unless using the new MinFilter 5 dilate.

Cheers and welcome to MobileRead.com!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #240
jd1123
jd1123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Having an odd problem with the latest version:

When converting some PDFs, instead of making a prc file, it opens the temp directory where all the pngs are stored. This happens rather randomly, but is frustrating for long ebooks. Is this a known problem? Thanks.
jd1123 is offline   Reply With Quote