Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
Creating audible .aax from mp3

Hi, I have some really old audio books in mp3 format. I'd like to convert them to .aax for convenient listening on the kindle as listening to mp3 is seriously lacking in functionality.

Is this possible?
anywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
.aax format is proprietary. MP3 files in the Audible folder should act the same way as Audible books. What is the problem?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
You should go for M4B, which is the audiobook version of MP4. The Kindle supports MP4, so I would assume it also supports M4B.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle Fire supports MP4, not the e-ink Kindles.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
'Scuse my ignorance, but what's the difference 'in functionality' on the Kindle between listening to an .aax audiobook or an .mp3 one?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
'Scuse my ignorance, but what's the difference 'in functionality' on the Kindle between listening to an .aax audiobook or an .mp3 one?
I can only speak for the Kindle Touch here, and for .mp3s:

When played using the Audiobook player, .mp3s will remember the last position played, so if you close and re-open the player, it will resume where it stopped. That is not the case with the "normal" MP3 player.

I didn't try .aax yet, but I suppose it's the same (maybe with added features such as chapters etc., dunno...)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
On my iMac, I use Audiobook Builder for assembling audiobooks, and under the build options is an option to use M4B (AAC) format when building audiobooks. It's a nice little app for $9.95 for anyone who is using a Mac and is interested in ripping books from CD and converting them for iTunes, or for combining MP3s into an audiobook.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
On my iMac, I use Audiobook Builder for assembling audiobooks, and under the build options is an option to use M4B (AAC) format when building audiobooks. It's a nice little app for $9.95 for anyone who is using a Mac and is interested in ripping books from CD and converting them for iTunes, or for combining MP3s into an audiobook.
You really don't need any other program to create m4b books from CD's in iTunes. I imagine this would work the same on a MAC. Here is the how to:

change the import settings in iTunes. Click Edit>>Preferences and open the Advanced tab. Click Importing. The files must be imported using the AAC encoder.

click the dropdown box labeled Setting. Select Custom. For bitrate, select 64kbps or lower. If the bitrate exceeds 64kbps, iTunes won’t recognize the file as an audiobook. You can also select “Optimize for voice.” Click OK.

Also, on the Importing tab, find On CD Insert. Set that to Ask to Import CD. Click OK.

To make things easier, join the tracks together before importing. That way, you won’t have a million files for each book. Instead, you’ll have a file (or two) per CD.

Select the tracks you’d like to join. Click Advanced>>Join CD Tracks. Click the Import CD button.

Now, find the file in iTunes. Right-click the file and select Get Info. You will probably want to add the disc number. For example, you should put 01/xx for the first disc. That way it will sort correctly in iTunes and on your iPod.
Now, you need to find the file in Windows Explorer. Right-click the track in iTunes and select Show in Windows Explorer.

Once you find the track in Windows Explorer, change the file extension. iTunes uses the M4A extension for music files. Change that to M4B.

go back to iTunes and find the track with the M4a extension in the Music library. Right-click it and select Delete. Click OK to delete the track from iTunes. iTunes will ask if you want to remove the file from your computer. Click No.

Return to Windows Explorer. Find the file with the M4b extension and drag it into the iTunes library. The file will be imported into the Audiobooks section. It will function like an audiobook purchased from iTunes or Audible.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
It will function like an audiobook purchased from iTunes or Audible.
Unfortunately, the Kindle neither supports .aac files nor .m4b files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Unfortunately, the Kindle neither supports .aac files nor .m4b files.
Ah! OK. I never tried to listen to an audio book on my kindle.

I was basically responding to Pidgeon92's post that he used a paid app to convert. Just pointing out it can be done for free.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
I'd never tried listening to an audio book either, but then there was a free trial with audible with two free books. Well, turns out it's really nice to listen to audio books on the kindle. SO now I want to make my own.
anywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
hey you can put your mp3's in audible folder and tada! you get an mp3 player on the home screen with bookmarks and all the features audible .aa and.aax have.tested only on kindle touch 5.1.0 but should work on all kindles except kindle 1 as they generally are the same with only minor changes.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #13
miciy5
miciy5 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
i tried that on the kindle keyboard, but instead of one audible file for everything, i got multiple files.did that happen to you?
miciy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
Nope, it doesnt happen to me. I dunno why.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:16 AM   #15
Bestybolton
Bestybolton began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd 8
Mostly, I just want to convert AAX to MP3...
Converting MP3 to AAX? Never try before. LOL. But you can try some online converter see if they help.
Bestybolton is offline   Reply With Quote