Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-23-2018, 12:58 AM   #1
birkmaggs
Connoisseur
birkmaggs began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy 2
Custom fonts for Kindle reader in Fire

Can this be done? Everyone is all about the paperwhite being able to add custom fonts. It would be great for the tablets as well.

While I'm on the topic, are there any alternative reader software for kindle fire kindle reader
birkmaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I don't know about fonts but if you are able to install google play on your tablet there are all kinds of alternative reader software available. I currently have Moon + Reader installed on my Fire tablet.
*edit*
Moon+Reader does allow for custom fonts (as well as change background). One difference from changing font on an kindle e-ink reader is that the fire tablet allows direct download of font to the tablet. On a regular kindle e-reader someone first has to download a font to a computer, then transfer it via usb cable to the kindle (in the right folder) which is ridiculous. Most kindles have an experimental browser so I don't see why a font can't be downloaded directly onto the ereader. It's a shame because perhaps an older generation of readers are missing out enjoying reading with different fonts due to lack of technical knowledge or lack of easy access to a computer. End of rant.

Below is a screen shot taken from my Kindle Fire (5th generation) with Google Play Store installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_screenshot_2018-06-25-08-52-24.png
Views:	473
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	164653  

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 06-25-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: add info
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 AM   #3
birkmaggs
Connoisseur
birkmaggs began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy 2
I use Moon+Reader for epub. How do I get my Kindle books on it?
birkmaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmaggs View Post
I use Moon+Reader for epub. How do I get my Kindle books on it?
convert them to epub with calibre. use Alf's tools if you bought them from Amazon.

Then optionally use Calibre Companion to place them on the Fire tablet, wirelessly
I am pretty sure there is no way to add fonts to the Fire Tablet amazon kindle app. There are lots of ways to add fonts to folders on the tablet, but not to get that App to use them

the opposite works though - using the Bookerly or Cecelia amazon fonts in Moon. I have those sets copied to my dropbox so I can easily export the to any new device, then I think you just point Moon at the fonts folder you placed them in

I use Cecelia so that I have the same font in both kindle for amazon books and in Moon for epub.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:42 AM   #5
VeronikaMD
VeronikaMD began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 650
Custom Fonts in Kindle Fire HD 8

Hello,
How can I add custom fonts (at least Amazon Ember Bold) to my newly bought Kindle Fire HD 8 8th Gen ? (without rooting it because rooting a KF seems to be very difficult).
I've already convert mobi files with Calibre using custom fonts,
but publisher fonts with these custom fonts added, does not appear frequently in the mobi files on the kindle.
I was so surprised to see an old menu (for fonts) on kindle books app in this Kindle Fire HD 8.
Many thanks for any info on this matter.
VeronikaMD is offline   Reply With Quote