Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Tag49
Tag49 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo / Aura
Unhappy Firmware update and performance

Hello,

I took the time to look at some topics about the known bugs for kobos, as well as firmware changelog. But I have not seen the problems I am currently experiencing, and I would like to know if other people here know what I am talking about

In advance, excuse my google translation English !

So I just bought two Kobo Aura.
At startup, everything is fine, the screen is very reactive (more than on my old kobo glo), the display fluid and fast.

But quickly, the first disappointment: we are forced to set up Wifi, or install an application, to connect via an account on the Kbo, otherwise, impossible to read a book. What is this heresy?

In short, I am complying with this obligation. And there, firmware update. Cold sweat.
Reboots.

And the cold shower comes : once every two, when I press a key (often at the edge of the screen), it is a touch next that is picked up.
For example, for a qwerty keyboard, if I press Q, the W will be taken. On the number 1, the 2.
In addition, the reactivity and fluidity of the display has become really slow and jerky.

I do not know what was the version of the original firmware, but after the update I am in 4.2.8.

Have you encountered that kind of situation?

Thank you

PS : I also remember after the purchase of my Kobo glo, an update had been made automatically, and the fuilidity / reactivity had hardly suffered (currently it is in 3.9)
Tag49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
The selection to the right of your finger is a problem I've had since I bought the Aura One - initial F/W 4.0.7523.
Before that I had my Glo HD and H2O on 3.15.0 (because of dictionaries problems that have only be solved in the latest F/W, 4.2.8110), where there was no problem of this sort. I thought it was linked to the One, but from your post I gather that it is a F/W problem. I don't know about intermediate F/W, but you might try regressing to a F/W anterior to the One (3. anything).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I have the same problem with selection to the side of my finger, but it is the opposite side (left) for me. This is on my Aura Edition 2.

Last edited by geek1011; 12-26-2016 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Fix typo
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Tag49

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I have the same problem with selection to the side of my finger, but it is the opposite side (left) for me. This is on my Aura Edition 2.
The problem is on the right and left side too for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon
The selection to the right of your finger is a problem I've had since I bought the Aura One - initial F/W 4.0.7523.
Before that I had my Glo HD and H2O on 3.15.0 (because of dictionaries problems that have only be solved in the latest F/W, 4.2.8110), where there was no problem of this sort. I thought it was linked to the One, but from your post I gather that it is a F/W problem. I don't know about intermediate F/W, but you might try regressing to a F/W anterior to the One (3. anything).
Is it simple and safe to downgrade firmware ? Because my readers are still under warranty.

Thank you.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag49 View Post
The problem is on the right and left side too for me

Is it simple and safe to downgrade firmware ? Because my readers are still under warranty.

Thank you.
It should be safe enough, but I suggest a factory reset first, after backing up your files.

Sent from my XT1527 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag49 View Post

Thank you.
Just downgraded to my former 3.15.0 for the Glo HD, without bothering to do a factory reset or removing patches, and it works fine(I could have done the factory reset afterwards if necessary). I'm pleased to have it back to its previous reactivity, and once I've done the patches, I'll be set. If you are and English speaker, you probably should choose a more recent F/W (3.19 something - read the discussion threads as linked by murg in his first post).

Murg's instructions on F/W are perfect, and it is an easy process as long as you follow it to the letter - mind you use the appropriate Mark version for your device.

So on to apply the patches now (a bit more finicky, but really worth it).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Just downgraded to my former 3.15.0 for the Glo HD, without bothering to do a factory reset or removing patches, and it works fine(I could have done the factory reset afterwards if necessary). I'm pleased to have it back to its previous reactivity, and once I've done the patches, I'll be set. If you are and English speaker, you probably should choose a more recent F/W (3.19 something - read the discussion threads as linked by murg in his first post).

Murg's instructions on F/W are perfect, and it is an easy process as long as you follow it to the letter - mind you use the appropriate Mark version for your device.

So on to apply the patches now (a bit more finicky, but really worth it).
The only thing is that the database has changed quite a bit since 3.19.5761 .
Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
Tag49

Ok, thanks to both of you, I'll try to downgrade soon :-)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
The only thing is that the database has changed quite a bit since 3.19.5761 .
It has changed a bit, but not in any way that would affect the older firmware. All the changes are backwards compatible. The extra tables and columns added since 3.19.5761 will be ignored by 3.19.5761.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware update, kobo aura, kobo glo, obligatory, slow