Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #46
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I had a Kobo Glo HD for a while, sold it on eBay. I used it for about a year. The only feature it had that I miss on a Kindle is the swipe up/down near the left bezel to adjust the front light.

But in day to day use, I found it more temperamental and glitchy than any Kindle I've ever had. It liked to lock up, usually in the middle of a reading session at night. It happened enough to really sour me on the device.
Newer Kobos are more stable. My 2-years-old Libra has never locked up or had any glitches. But if you aren't that big on tinkering, modifying and customizing your device and integration with Calibre (automatic series and collection management) isn't terribly important to you either, there's no reason to switch.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #47
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Quote:
You could buy 8-10 Kindles for the price of a new iPhone or Galaxy cell phone.
New iPhones (iPhone SE) start at $399 USD. That’s only 4-5 Kindles, and you can also use it as a phone. A fully loaded (WiFi + cellular, 32GB) costs only $50 USD less, and you can’t even text anyone with it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
I had a Kobo Glo HD for a while, sold it on eBay. I used it for about a year. The only feature it had that I miss on a Kindle is the swipe up/down near the left bezel to adjust the front light.

But in day to day use, I found it more temperamental and glitchy than any Kindle I've ever had. It liked to lock up, usually in the middle of a reading session at night. It happened enough to really sour me on the device.
My 6 year 8 month old Kobo Aura H2O has not locked up even once. I make sure all the eBooks I put on it are error free using both Calibre's error checker and epubcheck. In most cases, issues with Readers ar due to eBook errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:39 PM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
I've had more trouble with Kindles than Kobos.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #50
trekk
Evangelist
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've had more trouble with Kindles than Kobos.
Liking both, Kobo and Kindle, I've had more trouble with Kobos than Kindles.

Last edited by trekk; 09-04-2021 at 06:48 AM. Reason: correcting autocorrection: linking -> liking ;)
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2021, 05:21 AM   #51
junioryoudare
junioryoudare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Last gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
New iPhones (iPhone SE) start at $399 USD. That’s only 4-5 Kindles, and you can also use it as a phone. A fully loaded (WiFi + cellular, 32GB) costs only $50 USD less, and you can’t even text anyone with it.
Yeah with all the not e-ink screen. if people like e-ink then they go with it, it ain't about cost or other bs.
junioryoudare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #52
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Update for Oasis please

I'm using the wires old Voyage which now has issues, what I need is an excuse to buy the wife a new (updated) Oasis so I can have the old 'Oasis'.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #53
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
I got an email from Amazon in last couple of weeks about some book deals (I ask for them) and one of the banners depicted a reading device, but it didn’t resemble any shipping Amazon device. It had the screen aspect ratio of a Kindle, but the bezels were the same width on top/bottom/left/right. I have been meaning to see if I can find it again so I can post it here. Was it a mockup of a new one? Why would they not use a shipping Kindle?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #54
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KT1, KPW3, KOA3, KFHD7 ('12 & '13), KF7 (2019)
Some person in the Kindle subreddit posted this from Amazon Mexico, this might be proof the rumors may be true!

https://reddit.com/r/kindle/comments..._theres_a_new/
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:01 AM   #55
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Here is an image showing two new 6.8 inch Paperwhite models (regular and Signature Edition) from another Reddit thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uarsvolkkko71.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	189317  
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:51 AM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GlowLight 3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage
I should have said, thanks for the Reddit link to jhowell...

Also from the Reddit thread (from the Canadian Amazon page)...

Starting at $680 Canadian?

EDIT: A little further down, price updated to... $149.99 & $209.99 Canadian

EDIT: The Signature Edition has 32 GB, auto-light sensing and wireless charging.

EDIT: 17 LEDs (instead of 5) and a warm light. Hope this spurs PocketBook to make a 6.8" version of the HD 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-19 21-48-02.png
Views:	132
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	189318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-19 21-57-58.png
Views:	130
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	189319  

Last edited by rcentros; 09-20-2021 at 01:10 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:14 AM   #57
gesundheit
gesundheit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 (2015)
So there seems to be some substance to this rumor. I've already got the cash set aside and am patiently waiting
gesundheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:32 AM   #58
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GlowLight 3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
So there seems to be some substance to this rumor. I've already got the cash set aside and am patiently waiting
It looks like it — and, since Canadian price is currently listed at $149 (for the base model), that should mean the U.S. version would sell for about the same as current PaperWhites. (Unless the price on the Canadian site is actually the U.S. price and a mistake — you can't follow the link yet, so no way to verify.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #59
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KT1, KPW3, KOA3, KFHD7 ('12 & '13), KF7 (2019)
u/BleepBleepBeep in the thread on r/Kindle for the listing in Amazon Canada managed to squeeze more info out.

https://i.imgur.com/89riWnx

Supposedly it might come out on October 27th. Take it with a grain of salt, but considering this is all happening so soon I suggest keeping an eye on Amazon.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #60
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Hmmm...setting my pennies aside. I'll probably sell my Oasis and get the Paperwhite. More lights, a little larger screen, and no page turn buttons? Yes please.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote