Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2022, 04:24 AM   #1
samir_mihail
samir_mihail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unhappy Kindle Voyage frozen with white stripes over the standby image

Hi everyone! this is my first post here and I'm looking for some help or advice.
Yesterday I was hiking on a hill and my kindle was in my backpack. I sat on my backpack at some point and when I took it out it was like this:

The screen doesn't have a scratch. No damage on the back. It is always with full cover. The screen turns the light on for a few seconds and then it turns it off for half a second. I can't connect to it via USB cable.

I want to know: 1 how to assess the damage and if it's fixable; and 2 if I can get access to the files in it somehow

samir_mihail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:47 AM   #2
samir_mihail

Advert
Old 01-17-2022, 06:29 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Your images are not showing.

From your description, it sounds like you broke the substrate. Additionally, you don't mention if you had a cover on your device (which would have added a bit more protection - but no guarantee, of course).

Unfortunately, it sounds like very bad news for you.

Plug it into your computer and see if the files show. If they're not DRM-protected ebooks, then you can just copy/paste to your computer and buy a new ebook reader -- IF you have, indeed, broken the substrate.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-17-2022 at 06:33 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:51 AM   #4
samir_mihail

Smile

Thank you for the reply! In my previous message, I said that the kindle was in full cover (book cover type) and that I can't connect it to my computer. So it is even worse than you describe...

The screen shows the standby picture with stripes of "white" over it. There is no scratch on the screen. The light goes on and off on a loop as the kindle is trying to start but it can't, because there is no response from the screen...

Right now I'm concerned about the data. The books were converted epubs, I have the content but not the noes and bookmarks, etc. Is there a real possibility of getting to the files?