Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Want to update your Original Kobo to 1.8 via SD card?

OK, was thinking overnight how to manage this...

If you prefer to update your Original Kobo (not the WiFi one) via the SD card approach but aren't comfortable with setting the card up yourself, Drop a request reply now in this thread.

I'll build two update cards, direct-message the first two people for their addy and drop them in the mail to you. Once you've updated your kobo, edit your post here to reflect that you're done and direct-message the next requester on the list for their mailing addy. Send the card on to them. Repeat until we've updated the world! Folded in a piece of paper, the SD cards are well under an ounce so regular 1st class postage / envelope should be plenty.

Updating your original kobo via SD is ridiculously easy. Just pop the SD card in and power the kobo on while holding down the center d-pad button. It's all automatic from there. Do make sure your kobo is fully charged before updating and realize this process will reset your kobo back to factory-new. You'll have to re-sync your kobo books from the desktop and re-authorize the device in ADE, if you use it. Make sure you've got a version of the desktop software that supports 1.8 firmware before starting.

Standard disclaimers apply. No warranty, express or implied; I don't work for kobo; yadda yadda. Just trying to make things a little easier for the non-techies to get the most out of their kobo.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Is this a world wide offer? I am sending a card off to an Aussie user and I am betting he would be willing to pass it on there.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Is this a world wide offer? I am sending a card off to an Aussie user and I am betting he would be willing to pass it on there.
I don't see why not. From the US at least, 1st class postage anywhere in the world is under a dollar.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Oops
I made an offer in another thread to do it for people in Aus if they want to pay postage
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great Steve--the more the merrier.
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Could a linux or python guru write a script to automate the SD card creation?

That way both the script file and the firmware image can be added to the bootable USB stick and script run after the USB stick boots into Linux.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Once you have a formatted SD card, the install is only two lines long.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
To do via SD card for Aussie users - are you going to post the files somewhere so I can copy onto an SD card and do it myself? Or do we have to contact Borders Australia to get these?
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

As soon as Kobo makes the Borders specific file available to us, you'll have it. Borders AU has to review it and then make the desktop available first.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
As soon as Kobo makes the Borders specific file available to us, you'll have it. Borders AU has to review it and then make the desktop available first.
Thanks Taming (don't you ever sleep - it must be very late in Canada)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

No, it is only 4:32 in the afternoon. I go away from the computer around dinner time, but come back on early in the AM--and I am on holidays with nothing much to do.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Kobo guy already posted a link to sd card image. I unzipped and
untarred it and it looks like correct image. Is it a final version? Do
I miss something? My reason to hesitate was the version 1.8, not
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #13
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
You don't need to use the borders or angus and robertson app just cos you're aussie... i used to use the actual kobo desktop software instead
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote