Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #1
n8thegr8
n8thegr8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Clara HD stuck on loading screen

I attempted to sync my Kobo Clara HD to load some new library books on when I noticed the whole thing had frozen. I attempted to power it off and on but when the screen came back it was a black screen with a white loading symbol (two arrows in a circle) and three white dots underneath. It has been stuck like this for about 5 hours.

I tried without success:

- holding power for different lengths of time based on forum suggestions
- plugging it in for a few hours
- connecting it to the computer

There only seems to be the one button on the Clara HD. Apparently the little pin hole on the power button is for the LED only.

I can't seem to find anyone else on the Internet with this problem, or else I don't know quite what to call this.
n8thegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:06 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I take it you are wanting to try the manual factory reset procedure? Did the LED do anything while you trying to trigger a reset?
  1. Charge your ereader for a couple of hours -- you can leave it plugged in after the charging time.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds to force your Clara HD to power off.
  3. If you unplugged your ereader in step 1, plug your Clara HD into a power source (your computer or an USB charger)
  4. Press and hold the power button for up to 30 seconds.
  5. Once you see the restoring screen, you can release the power button.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:13 AM   #3
n8thegr8

The LED does not appear to do anything when I press the button. Thanks for the suggestions but nothing I do changes the “restore” screen or whatever it is called. No amount of pressing the power button turns it off.

Another thing I’ve tried since I posted is that I did pop open the Kobo and plug the memory card into my computer (Windows) and it said it was unreadable. I put it back in the kobo without modifying anything on the memory card but I wonder if this means that my memory card is corrupted. I’ve requested a Clara HD sd card image in another thread that I think I might try.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:44 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8thegr8 View Post
The LED does not appear to do anything when I press the button. Thanks for the suggestions but nothing I do changes the “restore” screen or whatever it is called. No amount of pressing the power button turns it off.
Firstly, holding power button down for 15-20 seconds will force the device to turn off. It does not do a clean shutdown, so the screen will not change. The only change you will see is that if the screen light is on, it will turn off.

Secondly, the hole in the power button is just to allow the power LED to be seen. It isn't a reset button.

Did you follow @DNSB's instructions completely? All of the steps are important. If you don't do them all properly, it won't work.
Quote:
Another thing I’ve tried since I posted is that I did pop open the Kobo and plug the memory card into my computer (Windows) and it said it was unreadable.
The SD card has multiple partitions. Windows doesn't handle this properly and will always state it has problem and offer to reformat it. DO NOT do that.
Quote:
I put it back in the kobo without modifying anything on the memory card but I wonder if this means that my memory card is corrupted. I’ve requested a Clara HD sd card image in another thread that I think I might try.
I have sent you a PM with the link to the image.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:47 AM   #5
n8thegr8

I tried the manual reset steps with no luck.

Thankfully the fresh image you provided did the trick. After popping it back in the Kobo it restarted just fine. Just going through the first time set up again. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
cvfe13
cvfe13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Hello
I have the same problem with my Kobo Clara.
Reset procedure done many times, but it doesn't help
Device is stuck, white screen on boot ....
Can you help me ?
thank you.
cvfe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:31 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent in response to the other post.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:22 AM   #8
raygj
Connoisseur
raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: likebook mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvfe13 View Post
Hello
I have the same problem with my Kobo Clara.
Reset procedure done many times, but it doesn't help
Device is stuck, white screen on boot ....
Can you help me ?
thank you.
i had a similar problem
i powered down the clara.
opened up the case and removed the sd card.
i inserted the SD card into my win10 desktop using a micro SD to usb ver.3 plug adapter.
when win10 asked to format SD i answered "NO"
DO NOT touch the 'rootfs' or 'ntxrecovery' partitions on the SD card.
you must only right-click on 'KOBOeReader' partition and select properties.
left-click on the"Tools" tab.
in the error checking section left click on the 'Check' button.
left-click on 'Scan Drive" to check for file system errors.
if errors present follow the displayed system prompts to repair filesystem.
this process can take a long time so be patient.
after file system successfully corrected then unmount/eject SD card.
replace SD card in KOBO and power up ereader.
It should now fully bootup now.
NOTE If there are any file system errors on 'KOBOeReader' partition the KOBO will freeze during early bootup.
raygj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:21 AM   #9
stone51
stone51 began at the beginning.

Clara HD frozen screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent in response to the other post.
Hello, resetting Clara HD went wrong. Screen frozen and no action possible with the power button. I think that the SD card is responsible. Any idea ? Thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220110_100924.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	970.7 KB
ID:	191506  
stone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:25 PM   #10
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone51 View Post
Hello, resetting Clara HD went wrong. Screen frozen and no action possible with the power button. I think that the SD card is responsible. Any idea ? Thx

ask here for the image https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=309881

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:07 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nothing happens when the power button is pressed? The screen doesn't change? Does the power LED light come on? Have you charged the device since this started? Does anything happen when you plug it in?

If it is not starting at all, then an image won't help. The photo shows the normal starting point for a new device. If the power LED is coming on when you press the power button, but it isn't going further, you should to do a factory reset using https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...or-Kobo-Elipsa.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #12
stone51

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
ask here for the image https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=309881

best wishes koboy
Done. Thx.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #13
stone51

I followed the procedure but the power button has no action. It blinks one time and that's all. That's the reason why I want to try to inject a new software on the sd card.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:44 AM   #14
arthm
arthm began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Did you succeed too turn if off ? My kobo Clara HD is stuck on this screen too. I don't know what i have to do.

The button does not seem to work anymore.

Thank you
arthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #15
brauneyz
brauneyz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara
Hi. My 2 yr. old Kobo Clara is doing the same thing as all the other users here are experiencing. No amt of on/off etc. is doing a thing. Please help this newbie with the solution you are describing. Thank you.
brauneyz is offline   Reply With Quote