Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 03:25 PM   #76
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I envision an ereader half as thick and half as heavy as the ones we use now. It should appear visually like just the e-ink screen itself. I think they could make it now, but those of us complaining about the Sage's battery life wouldn't be pleased.
Well the Forma is actually closer to your vision than the Sage. It is thin, light and have great battery life. Try it out!
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:40 PM   #77
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
Well the Forma is actually closer to your vision than the Sage. It is thin, light and have great battery life. Try it out!
No new screen, though. And before you say that the contrast of the Forma is as good as that of the Sage, several people who own both just recently posted here that the Sage has noticeably better contrast.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:49 PM   #78
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Buttons on the side or bottom doesn't matter but it's the squarish shape that's a strong negative. I want the "normal" book shape of the Aura One and others. My new Mazda has the buttons on the side of the keyfob. A truly stupid place to put them on a keyfob. Now for an ereader the buttons could be on the side, like the volume buttons on a phone, and that would be fine. The pointer finger could (does) naturally rest right there anyway.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:21 AM   #79
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
The square shape of the Oasis/Libra/Sage has the advantage of reducing the need for bezels on all sides but the one with the buttons. I also like the ergonomics of packing the battery and heavier electronic components into the wider bezel with the buttons and tapering to a thinner screen.

I would lose the entire top bezel of my Aura One and reduce the bottom bezel by half.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #80
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
The square shape of the Oasis/Libra/Sage has the advantage of reducing the need for bezels on all sides but the one with the buttons. I also like the ergonomics of packing the battery and heavier electronic components into the wider bezel with the buttons and tapering to a thinner screen.

I would lose the entire top bezel of my Aura One and reduce the bottom bezel by half.
The battery. Is actually in the center of the device inside, not under wider the bezel
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:45 AM   #81
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
The battery. Is actually in the center of the device inside, not under wider the bezel
Thanks for the clarification. Too bad they're not easily user replaceable.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #82
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Too bad they're not easily user replaceable.
I really wish the European Union or one of the big markets would force tablet, reader, phone categories of goods to have a user replaceable battery. We might end up with less thin / integrated designs but I don't care.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:32 AM   #83
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
How is dark mode on the forma
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:04 AM   #84
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
How is dark mode on the forma
I would say it is fine. I used to use invert mode on a Glo hd, and I would say it is comparable, maybe less ghosting when coming out of sleep.

The one downside is having to exit/enter the book when toggling it (using NickleMenu).

Full disclosure, I'm not overly picky.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:56 AM   #85
mezzanine
Groupie

The best selling point I've seen for the Libra 2 has been when reviewers have done side-by-side comparisons in dark mode. It can be hard to spot differences in contrast in normal mode.

Having the ability to adjust font weight complicates contrast perception because increasing font weight appears to increase contrast.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:44 PM   #86
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No new screen, though. And before you say that the contrast of the Forma is as good as that of the Sage, several people who own both just recently posted here that the Sage has noticeably better contrast.
My "Dream Sage" would have been the Forma, but with a new screen. I would not rush to upgrade (the exisiting screen is fantastic, and according to most reviewers you do not even notice the difference unless side by side), but it would have been a usable newe device.

For me they totally borked it with the increased wieght and decreased battery life of Sage.

But I am fine; I have just received my second Forma, so I am good for many more years to go.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #87
martinot
Swedish Kobo User

Quote:
The best selling point I've seen for the Libra 2 has been when reviewers have done side-by-side comparisons in dark mode. It can be hard to spot differences in contrast in normal mode.

Having the ability to adjust font weight complicates contrast perception because increasing font weight appears to increase contrast.
Yes, this has been my exact takeaway from all the tests I have seen.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:46 PM   #88
martinot
Swedish Kobo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I really wish the European Union or one of the big markets would force tablet, reader, phone categories of goods to have a user replaceable battery. We might end up with less thin / integrated designs but I don't care.
They have a new proposition for just that I read somewhere.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #89
Hydronaut
Hydronaut began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks everybody for helping me make my decision. Ended up ordering a Libra 2. I feel that despite the smaller screen the upgrades, USB-C, 32GB, audiobooks, screen etc. outweigh the chances of a bad Forma. Plus a fair bit cheaper.
Hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:40 AM   #90
zuha
zuha began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Should I return my Libra 2 and get a Forma?

I have just bought Libra 2 for 1890 SEK and now I am considering returning it because the price of Forma in Sweden decrease to 1990 SEK. I mostly use my e-reader for reading scientific articles (originally A4, 2 columns), 7-inch is quite good in landscape mode for this purpose but I am wondering if I can get a better experience with 8-inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
I have never bought a refurb. I also went from Auro On to Forma some years ago. I where looking forward to the new Sage, and originally had the intention to buy it. I was however put off by the increase in weight and poor battery life.

To not risk being without a good e-reader if something happens to my current Forma I just bought myself a second Forma as an backup last week. I was however fortunate to buy a brand new one here in Sweden from a store that still have some in stock.

Good luck with your hunt for a Forma! I love the great 8" screen and light weight!
zuha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forma, libra, sage