Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Yes, but the topic here is the question whether the new PW5 is more susceptible to overheating in sunshine than other kindles, such as the metal backed Oases models are already known to be.

I wonder if maybe it is the hard glass outer layer on the Oasis that is trapping heat from the sun.
I would think that if it was being caused by the hard glass outer layer we would have heard about it from the Voyage, as well as the other 2 Oasis models, since they all have this. Maybe it's just the aluminum back, or maybe a combo of the aluminum back and the glass top?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Direct sunlight has made my KOA2 uncomfortably warm to hold on a cool day.
There is no KOA2. It's KO2.

Kindle Oasis 2 = KO2

KOA2 is as bad as calling the Kobo Libra H2O... Libra 1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no KOA2. It's KO2.

Kindle Oasis 2 = KO2

KOA2 is as bad as calling the Kobo Libra H2O... Libra 1.
Jon, for god’s sake, let it go. Call devices what you want. Don’t respond if you don’t like another poster’s nomenclature. But you’re not the arbiter for the terms others use.

I’ll point out that the Kindle mods here prefer KOA2, so if I were looking for help I’d use their preferred term so as not to get their backs up, but I suppose that’s me.

Seriously, however, I’m going to start deleting your posts along these lines.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:18 AM   #19
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
I noticed a performance decrease
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:39 PM   #20
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
In a small city in southern India where I currently live ambient temps. rarely cross mid to late twenties,early thirties at the most in peak summer. And yet reading in my PW3 in the early morning under bright sunlight but not too hot, caused the battery temp. to shoot up from 25°C to 48°C in just half an hour at which I moved it to shade. The body of the Kindle was only a little warm. I removed the case but it made little to no difference.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #21
Derell Licht
Derell Licht began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Hi all;
Well, I went ahead and got the 6.8" paperwhite, so we'll see how things go. My initial impression of battery life issue, is that this device does not seem to discharge as quickly as quickly as the Oasis did, but 'tis a bit early to be sure about that. I also got essentially the same case as I had for the Oasis.

As for overheating-in-direct-sun-with-case issue, it's too chilly out to really test this yet; I'll update once we get into warmer months here.

Last edited by Derell Licht; 01-07-2022 at 12:57 PM. Reason: remove redundant data
Derell Licht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never had any Reader overhead when used outside in direct sunlight. I've had a number of Sony Readers and my Kobo Aura H2O. My Kobo Libra 2 has not yet been out in warm weather.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #23
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I have the Oasis 3, and have seen the overheating warning many many times - I didn’t know people didn’t know about it.

I live in South Texas, and frequently read outside in the summer, the temperature is often between 100 and 110 F. (I’m in the shade or in the pool, not directly in the sun, by the way). Sometimes I’ll go back inside to get a cool drink and the warning is on. I see the warning without the cover on, FYI.

I also have a white plastic Kobo Libra H2O and have never experienced any overheating problems with this. I used to have a Kobo Aura One which I used in the same conditions with no problems.

My other half has used the Paperwhite 4 many times in the hot sun, with no issues, I’m inclined to think it will be the same for the new one. That metal back is a killer - just what I don’t want in an ereader - scalding hot in the summer, and freezing in the winter. (Or the two days here when it drops to 32 ).
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:44 AM   #24
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
My Oasis 2 is rarely used any more. I bought a PW4 which has always been fine out in the sun, and now a PW5 which I hope will be the same. I really miss the page turn buttons though. The first Oasis was a joy to use for me until my library outgrew the 8gb as was the Voyage until my page turn stopped working and both were great for reading in the sunshine on hot days. I blame the metal back and wouldn't buy a Kindle with one ever again.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote