Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Is it normal for the battery to drain while the device is not active?

I have put my Kindle to rest for nearly 48 hours and when I picked it up I found that the battery level had gone down 3%. Is it normal? I didn't use it at all and the WiFi was not on.

Last edited by RhD97; 03-09-2019 at 08:29 PM.
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
maximus83
Nameless Being

Yes it'll always drop a bit overnight even if not used, and in the range of 1-3% sounds normal to me. My new PW4, less than a month old, drops about 1% overnight in airplane mode, maybe 3% to 4% if I forget and leave wifi on. More than that, I'd probably think something else was going on.
Advert
Old 03-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, entirely normal. It's a computer and still using power to maintain the contents of RAM, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, entirely normal. It's a computer and still using power to maintain the contents of RAM, etc.
Even if the computer is off (not at all likely with a Kindle), the battery circuit is *always* on. This is a good thing unless you like what the li-ion people call 'venting with flame'. Venting with flame is fun to watch someone else trigger from a very long way away!
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Yes it'll always drop a bit overnight even if not used, and in the range of 1-3% sounds normal to me. My new PW4, less than a month old, drops about 1% overnight in airplane mode, maybe 3% to 4% if I forget and leave wifi on. More than that, I'd probably think something else was going on.
Yh my device is about a month old and I always put it on airplane mode. If I leave it and pick it up the next day, it drops 1 to 2%, but if i spend a whole day without using it and just pick it up two days later, it drops 3 to 4 %
Advert
Old 03-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have two Paperwhite 4 Kindles and I'm going to check but I don't notice much difference in the battery drain overnight whether it's in airplane mode or not.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have two Paperwhite 4 Kindles and I'm going to check but I don't notice much difference in the battery drain overnight whether it's in airplane mode or not.
Yeah overnight it doesn't drop much, but it does after 48 hours.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
If you have a device with a removable battery, such as my phone, and have a spare battery, that extra battery has to be recharged from time to time. Just the battery sitting by itself not in any device, self discharges. That's the nature of rechargeable batteries. Actually all batteries do that but rechargeable batteries discharge faster.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #9
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
There are some batteries now of course, that keep their charge for many months. My Samsung Tablet has those. Unlike my two Kindles who lose their charge quickly, especially the Kindle Keyboard, which is a bit old in the tooth these days. Neither of the two seem to last much longer than a fortnight to a month when not in use. Of course, if you constantly or regularly charge the device, you probably wouldn't notice the depletion very often.

If you don't turn a device fully off, then a trickle charge maintains things in RAM so it can quickly turn on. It also uses a very small amount to keep the screensaver showing on E-Ink Kindles.

Last edited by Timboli; 03-14-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
It also uses a very small amount to keep the screensaver showing on E-Ink Kindles.
No, it doesn’t. It uses power for other things, but not that. An eInk screen uses no power to display a static image; power is used only when the image changes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #11
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it doesn’t. It uses power for other things, but not that. An eInk screen uses no power to display a static image; power is used only when the image changes.
My apologies, it seems you are correct about that, and somehow I miss-remembered since I last checked, which admittedly was quite a while ago.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote