Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #16
Amazondoc
Enthusiast
Amazondoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX and Fire HD
Further update -- OpenAudible seems to work great, after just one experiment. It makes a single large mp3, which may be a problem for some folks, but which works fine for me. And it preserves the metadata, including the cover pic. So I'm a happy camper. :-)
Amazondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazondoc View Post
Quick update: I should have mentioned earlier that I'm on a Mac. I briefly checked out AAXtomp3, inAudible, and AudibleChapters, but it appears that those are mostly PC-focused. InAudible does have a Mac version called minAudible, but apparently it is no longer being updated. However, I've just downloaded an app called OpenAudible that has a specific Mac version, and I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll report back on how this works!
If you are using a mac, then look up tuneskit audible converter.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I LOVE InAudible!
S
Where is it? I see a couple of sites that say it's been discontinued; I don't see much of anything about the program and how it works. I'd like to compare it to aaxtomp3.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
What would be the highest quality MP3 settings to convert to? I'm trying to back up my Audibles.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Either 64 or 96 kbps is what I use for audiobooks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Either 64 or 96 kbps is what I use for audiobooks.
Thanks, that what it seems it is, 64 bitrate. Years ago it was 128 for enhanced but they seem to have changed it over the years to 64.

I've noticed newer books are sounding more and more tinny now I know why.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #22
Amazondoc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If you are using a mac, then look up tuneskit audible converter.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #23
Amazondoc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Where is it? I see a couple of sites that say it's been discontinued; I don't see much of anything about the program and how it works. I'd like to compare it to aaxtomp3.
You can get it on Pirate Bay.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #24
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I have some Audible books that were subsequently "discontinued" by Audible U. S. but cannot recall any being actually removed from my library later.

I purchased a DRM removal kit because I can divide a book into roughly one-hour (CD sized) parts that way. My Sansa Clip plays Audible books as one item, but only indicates elapsed time; the progress bar isn't really exact enough to give me an idea of how much of the book I have left to go.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #25
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I have some Audible books that were subsequently "discontinued" by Audible U. S. but cannot recall any being actually removed from my library later.

I purchased a DRM removal kit because I can divide a book into roughly one-hour (CD sized) parts that way. My Sansa Clip plays Audible books as one item, but only indicates elapsed time; the progress bar isn't really exact enough to give me an idea of how much of the book I have left to go.
I have about 15 books that have been discontinued for sale, but they still reside in my Audible account. Imagine trying to start Diskworld and being unable to listen to book 1, as is currently the case. Fortunately I bought it when it was available and it is still there nestled in my library.

I won't know what devices will be available in 4 years and what devices I currently have that will fail, but at least I will have a way of listening to what I bought.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I think that I've tracked down what is happening.

As I've been cleaning up my database of audiobooks, I've been going back to audible to redownload some of the books. I've noticed that books where they have created new audio versions of the books with a different narrator is where the problem is. Basically, when there is a new narrator, the old version drops off and since I haven't purchased the new version, it vanishes from my library. Since I'm in the habit of downloading audiobooks as soon as I've purchased them, I don't actually lose them. They will play on my devices just fine, but I can't redownload them.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #27
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I use a free program called inAudible. I'm theory it works on both .aa and .aax files, but I find it a better process with .aax files. Current version is 1.95 I think. The output is either .MP3 or .m4b, your choice.

No, actually we can now answer in a general way. Just can't give step by step directions. Essentially the same as with eBooks.
I don't know if I answered this, but use either Inaudible or Open Office. Open Office is pretty easy for the technically challenged, but Inaudible has more bells and whistles for customization (such as adding chapters). Neither will download subscriptions (like Washington Post) or specials that Audible puts out like the freebee Dark Corners Collection (free for members and I think Prime Members).

Last edited by Tarana; 10-16-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote