Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
h4k1m
h4k1m began at the beginning.

Device: none
Android e-reader to read academic books on ebrary.com

Hello,

Please could you advise me on an e-reader turning on Android?
I need to install adobe digital editions android app on it to read some academic books I have access to through ebrary.com.

Thanks.
h4k1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
tlib
tlib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kobo e-readers
Have you seen this: http://support.ebrary.com/kb/device-...r-dl-bluefire/
tlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
h4k1m

No I didn't.
Thanks for the link ^^.
But is it possible to install this app (Bluefire Reader) on any wifi e-reader?

I doubt it since on the link you gave me, only IOS and Android are mentionned.
This could be an issue since not all e-readers support android (Kindle, Kobo...).
Old 05-31-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The Kobo devices should have no problem with Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) documents. I am not sure about Kindle devices, on stock software. I think the process is still that you Establish your Adobe account ID and install the ADE program on your PC then add your devices to your account. It used to be up to six devices, if I remember correctly.

Koreader is an addon reader that works on Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, and Android. It is also able to read many different file formats, which could be an issue at such a site. Also, you may be able to sync progress and highlights between the devices. ( I haven't used that feature, and it is relatively new.)

Download page.

Nightly build.

Stable release, in case the nightly can't handle your device.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-31-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
h4k1m

Thanks Ken for the details.

I think you're right, according to this website http://help.overdrive.com/customer/p...ticles/1481736 the Kobo e-readers are compatible with the Adobe Digital Editions (you just have to drag the file to the recognized Kobo device). I wonder what will happen on the device when the book expires (after 14 days). Moreover, my computer is authorized without an ID... I hope it won't be an issue.

But as you said, the Kindle won't be able to open those 'acms' files (Adobe Digital Editions files).

I think I'm going to opt for a Kobo e-reader (a Kobo mini for example) or an Android e-reader (Barnes & Noble) . At worst, I will read those books on ebrary website with Wifi. Besides, it will be helpful for me to read pdf scientific articles without having to print them everytime.

Last edited by h4k1m; 05-31-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
For PDFs, reader size matters, I would suggest something larger than the mini.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
h4k1m

Which e-reader do you suggest? and how much it would cost?

Thanks.