Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #16
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe & Paperwhite 11th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

This is the real reason I replied. I have an original 6" Aura and don't remember seeing ghosting when I open a book. I guess it could be that I just never paid enough attention. I have refresh set to every chapter, I believe.
It happens when in full page mode, with no Show Title and footer.

Another thing that only seems happen in full page mode is when taping in the centre to see the reading progress, you always get the place where you are in the book with the arrows. It doesn’t remember the last thing you opened like the reading stats.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #17
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post

Another thing that only seems happen in full page mode is when taping in the centre to see the reading progress, you always get the place where you are in the book with the arrows. It doesn’t remember the last thing you opened like the reading stats.
On my Aura H2O2, I get no ghosting with chapter refresh, except one instance where it was on sleep for a very long time and I noticed faint ghosting of the cover until I refreshed the screen by going into my "Activity". So far, that one instance is the only instance.

I do have the same behaviour with the reading progress, tapping in the middle once brings up the progress slider, not the stas, even if the stats ere the last page visited.
Advert
Old 11-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I haven't noticed any difference in the ghosting in the recent couple of firmware versions. I've been using the "Chapter" refresh and it seems to be fine on my various devices. The only missing thing is what @jackie_w referred to in that a refresh doesn't happen when the menus are closed if the title isn't displayed.
Quote:
I think that is a design decision. As the progress isn't always being displayed, they are showing the progress when the menu bars are displayed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #19
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't noticed any difference in the ghosting in the recent couple of firmware versions. I've been using the "Chapter" refresh and it seems to be fine on my various devices. The only missing thing is what @jackie_w referred to in that a refresh doesn't happen when the menus are closed if the title isn't displayed.

I think that is a design decision. As the progress isn't always being displayed, they are showing the progress when the menu bars are displayed.

Maybe I should have stayed with the firmware intended for the Clara HD, instead of installing the latest Mark 7.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #20
Claude_C
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
On my Aura H2O2, I get no ghosting with chapter refresh, except one instance where it was on sleep for a very long time and I noticed faint ghosting of the cover until I refreshed the screen by going into my "Activity". So far, that one instance is the only instance.

I do have the same behaviour with the reading progress, tapping in the middle once brings up the progress slider, not the stas, even if the stats ere the last page visited.
I feel*less alone.
Advert
Old 11-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe I should have stayed with the firmware intended for the Clara HD, instead of installing the latest Mark 7.
The changes you are seeing will probably be in the next release for the other devices. But, I'll have to get my Clara HD out and see if there is a difference in the ghosting. It does have 4.11.11980 on it, but I have been using the Forma, Aura ONE and Glo HD more than it.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:31 AM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
First, it was set for every chapter. I set it to 10 pages. I could set it to less, like 5 pages. Every page must be a flickering nightmare?
Not at all. That was in veeeery old devices, I don't even note it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:35 AM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I feel*less alone.
I have patched it (so perhaps some of the patches changes the behavior), but, in my case, when options appear, none is marked, you always have to select one. (11.11980 in an Aura Ed2). And no ghosting nor flickering with this FW.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Hmm... on my original Aura running 4.7.10413, refresh set to every chapter and full screen enabled, I don't see ghosting and if I open reading stats or fonts or whatever, that is what is displayed next time I tap the center.

Really, I'd rather it defaulted to showing the place where you are, since nine times out of ten when I tap the center, that's what I want to quickly see.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #25
Claude_C
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hmm... on my original Aura running 4.7.10413, refresh set to every chapter and full screen enabled, I don't see ghosting and if I open reading stats or fonts or whatever, that is what is displayed next time I tap the center.

I have the 4.11.11982 firmware on the Clara HD.

Full screen is an option, not a hack. You can choose to show/hide the Title and/or the footer.

I've set the refresh back to Chapter. It seems to work better. Will see over time... The thing that bugs me with the chapter refresh is that some books have very long chapters.

Last edited by Claude_C; 11-28-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

One would think an intenional change would be in the release notes?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #27
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Sorry!
Old 11-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I have the 4.11.11982 firmware on the Clara HD.

Full screen is an option, not a hack. You can choose to show/hide the Title and/or the footer.
But doesn't it seem strange that a later firmware (4.11) would have MORE ghosting than an earlier firmware (4.7)?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Well, it isn't actually a change. The firmware versions with the title and footer options has only been released to the Forma. As it never had anything else (factory reset firmware excepted), this isn't a change that needs to be documented.

Do you believe that? If so, I have a bridge I need to get rid of

Seriously, I wouldn't expect a change like this to appear in the release notes. I'm pretty sure when remembering what was last opened was originally added to the firmware, it wasn't in the official release notes. And I think Kobo would take this as just part of the change to allow hiding the footer.

And for the record, the refresh not happening when menus are closed is a bug and should be fixed in the next release.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #30
Claude_C
Evangelist

Quote:

And for the record, the refresh not happening when menus are closed is a bug and should be fixed in the next release.

I wonder if this next firmware will be for all ereaders, not only Forma.

(We can, of course, install it anyway, but you know.)