Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
JeffOYB
JeffOYB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Epub > AZW3 = pics displaying tiny!

I have a reflowable epub w about 100 color pics that display at about 1/3 screen size when i test the epub on various devices.

I just used Calibre to convert the epub to AZW3 and the Kindle Previewer is showing the images displaying in various devices at a tiny size on each page. Way too small. Not like the intended design. I can still dblclk on them and then they display at a nice full size per the intended enlarged views.

Anyone know how I can make Calibre behave?

Thanks!
JeffOYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
In the conversion options, go to "Page setup" and select "Tablet" as the output profile. Images will not be resized with that profile.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
JeffOYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
In the conversion options, go to "Page setup" and select "Tablet" as the output profile. Images will not be resized with that profile.
Rats! I was so excited when I saw this. I eagerly tested... And it seems like the display images actually got SMALLER when I output as Tablet from the Page setup in Calibre.

It was a great try, though! Thx. It seems like it shd have worked.

I think I'll try a couple other output options... Who knows, one might work!

OK, I tried a few. No luck. Now, when I use Calibre's E-viewer the images display fine. But whenever I open a file in Kindle Previewer 3 the images display TINY for every device.

Update: I emailed a test MOBI file to my old iPhone 5 and opened it in Kindle and the pics displayed fine! Good news! Then I emailed the MOBI file to my Samsung Galaxy and opened it in Kindle and -- rats -- the images are displaying tiny. Actually looking at files in real devices is the impt test. More so than Kindle Previewer, right? Well, it's too bad that it's displaying so differently in the 2 devices. Ideas?

Last edited by JeffOYB; 11-02-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
That's strange. Without seeing the actual HTML and CSS, I can't really offer any other suggestions. If you can, post the CSS along with an HTML sample containing an image element.

Maybe try using the default input profile.

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-02-2018 at 03:27 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOYB View Post
Rats! I was so excited when I saw this. I eagerly tested... And it seems like the display images actually got SMALLER when I output as Tablet from the Page setup in Calibre.

It was a great try, though! Thx. It seems like it shd have worked.

I think I'll try a couple other output options... Who knows, one might work!

OK, I tried a few. No luck. Now, when I use Calibre's E-viewer the images display fine. But whenever I open a file in Kindle Previewer 3 the images display TINY for every device.
Where did you change this? Preferences is only used for the First conversion (default).

Make that change at the START of the conversion
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
JeffOYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Where did you change this? Preferences is only used for the First conversion (default).

Make that change at the START of the conversion
Confused. Prefs?

Here's what I did: I added my EPUB to the booklist in Calibre. Then I selected it and clicked Convert. In the convert window on the left side I clicked "Page setup" and tested various Output profiles. I also tested various formats by pulling down from the upper right menu -- MOBI, AZW3.

I took the various resulting files and transfered them to my iPhone and Samsung Galaxy and opened them in Kindle.

...And saw the tiny display images on the Samsung. And all looked fine on the iPhone.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOYB View Post
Confused. Prefs?

Here's what I did: I added my EPUB to the booklist in Calibre. Then I selected it and clicked Convert. In the convert window on the left side I clicked "Page setup" and tested various Output profiles. I also tested various formats by pulling down from the upper right menu -- MOBI, AZW3.

I took the various resulting files and transfered them to my iPhone and Samsung Galaxy and opened them in Kindle.

...And saw the tiny display images on the Samsung. And all looked fine on the iPhone.
You are good.

If you ALWAYS want future book first conversion, to convert using those as DEFAULT settings:
Preferences: Common options: <what you did>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
JeffOYB

Any way to prevent the Calibre conversion from shrinking my display images?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
JeffOYB

solution found: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1839950