Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Aura owner, is the H2O a big upgrade

Have an Aura - love it - only thing that annoys me is I'm too clumsy for the pinch-to-zoom ;-)

My wife is considering buying me a H20 for Xmas. To be honest, I do a lot of reading in the bath so it makes sense.

BUT I'm rather attached to my Aura, love the one piece screen for example...

Is the H20 a big upgrade?
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
Maida
Enthusiast
Maida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
Have an Aura - love it - only thing that annoys me is I'm too clumsy for the pinch-to-zoom ;-)

My wife is considering buying me a H20 for Xmas. To be honest, I do a lot of reading in the bath so it makes sense.

BUT I'm rather attached to my Aura, love the one piece screen for example...

Is the H20 a big upgrade?
Yes, it definitely is, although it is quite heavier because of thr bigger screen.
Maida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maida View Post
Yes, it definitely is, although it is quite heavier because of thr bigger screen.
It's not that heavy. I quite often read with my H2O holding it in only one hand. I have no issues holding my H2O. But I do find a good cover helps. I have one by Fintie.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, it is a "big upgrade".

The screen will be noticeably better than the Aura. Bigger and better resolution plus a later version of e-ink.

It will also feel a lot bigger. When I swap between my Glo HD and my Aura H2O, I am always surprised at how much bigger the Aura H2O feels. Around the house, this doesn't worry me. But, the Glo HD in it's case fits nicely in my pocket when needed during my commute. The Aura H2O doesn't so I tend to carry it in my hand. That worries me a little.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess by big I meant more 'worthwhile' - I am sorely tempted, but I am sort of quite attached to the Aura. Its a lovely piece of kit ;-)
Advert
Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
I guess by big I meant more 'worthwhile' - I am sorely tempted, but I am sort of quite attached to the Aura. Its a lovely piece of kit ;-)
What I specially like about the Aura is its size, it fits anywhere.
Now I am tempted by Glo HD, but I don't think it's a big improvement over Aura.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Yes, the Glo HD is a huge improvement over the Aura. Once you start reading on the Glo HD, you may not want to go back to the Aura ever again. The screen is really that much better.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
H2O was a big upgrade for me but my old reader did not have light or touch. And it was not a Kobo - so the software side of things definitely was a huge improvement as well.

Going from an Aura to H2O, everything but the screen would stay the same. Okay, if you're lucky it's also waterproof. Is it worth it? I'm not really sure; it may be to you, depending.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The Aura was actually a mediocre device, with a screen rendering that actually looked worse than the previous generation Glo, even though it did bring the flat capacitive touch screen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you are happy with your device. But the Aura HD, H20 and Kobo Glo HD are the devices that mark the point where Kobo stopped trying to be the cheap knock off devices and are instead pretty much the best in class devices for e-readers. (Especially the Last 2. I loved my Aura HD before it's death, but it was using an older gen e-ink screen at the time it came out. That's not the case of the later 2 devices, they come with the best available e-reader screens, period.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post

your right it isn't a big enough improvement, the lack of some features is a retro step, no micro sd card slot or refresh by chapter, in fact after trying a side by side comparison with the Aura and the Glo HD i bought a spare Aura

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-17-2015 at 03:22 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Is the H2O a big upgrade?

Does the pope shit in the woods?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The upgrade to either the Glo HD or Aura H2O is probably worth it. The problem you will have is that you like the flat screen of the Aura. The quality of either of the newer screens might make up for it. And if you are reading in the bath, the Aura H2O is the way to go.

But, admit it, you just want the excuse to get another ereader
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #13
Desdinova
Eternal light

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The upgrade to either the Glo HD or Aura H2O is probably worth it. The problem you will have is that you like the flat screen of the Aura. The quality of either of the newer screens might make up for it. And if you are reading in the bath, the Aura H2O is the way to go.

But, admit it, you just want the excuse to get another ereader
Well, now you mention it....

Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #14
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Desdinova, go into the settings and turn off the pinch and zoom. It really doesn't work well. I found that when I did the 2 finger vertical swipe to change the lighting, the Aura often thought it was a pinch and zoom to change the font size. Very annoying. Just turn it off and life will be good again!
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #15
Desdinova
Eternal light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
Desdinova, go into the settings and turn off the pinch and zoom. It really doesn't work well. I found that when I did the 2 finger vertical swipe to change the lighting, the Aura often thought it was a pinch and zoom to change the font size. Very annoying. Just turn it off and life will be good again!

Yep. I totally agree - have done ;-)