Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
santosha
Novice
santosha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nested NCX and the Kindle(s)

My book contains both parts and chapters (2 levels deep) and when automatically generating an NCX file with Sigil, this gets reflected in a 2-level NCX file with NavPoints nested within NavPoints.

Now, I've read various sources online that indicate that Kindles do not support nested NavPoints in NCX files and am a bit confused as to what exactly "not supported" means, if these sources are correct. (Can't find anything in the official Amazon guidelines about it)

When playing around in the Kindle Previewer with my test-file (with nested NCX, two levels deep) the NCX file shows up in the NCX previewer as nested and working fine (to expand with the plus sign and see all points). Further, when previewing the file on my physical Kindle PW the nested NCX seems to be working fine, with two levels under the "Go To"-button, showing the parts and the chapters contained within them. The "Reading time left in chapter" on the PW also seems to be correctly reading all the points.

The only time it seems to me that the nested NCX is not playing nice is that the chapter markers on the progress bar of the regular Kindle and DX in KP only show markers for the Parts, not the chapters--so I'm guessing this is what the talk about "not supported" is about?

Would you recommend I simply "flatten" the NCX generated by Sigil (which is kind of nice--I like the nested "Go To" menu on the PW) to maximize compatibility and as a best practice? Any other advice in this matter? What is stylistically recommended?

Many thanks in advance!

Santosha

Last edited by santosha; 07-05-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Added question.
santosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Personally the nested TOC is more important than the progress bars. I think top level only progress bars is fine. I would suggest you leave it like it is.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
santosha
Novice
santosha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Personally the nested TOC is more important than the progress bars. I think top level only progress bars is fine. I would suggest you leave it like it is.

Dale
Thanks for your input. Yes I agree--it seems like a fair trade-off to lose the chapter progress markers in order to have a much more manageable ToC, if that is indeed the only trade-off :-)
santosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
codys
codys began at the beginning.

Kindle - Nested/Multi Level TOC Menu

I'm trying to figure out how to get my TOC which has 2 levels of menu (chapters and sections) that works fine in the Epub format to work on the Kindle format.

How do I create a nested / multi-level TOC menu?

Originally I converted the epub to azw3 in Calibre, and later I tried working directly in Kindle Create, but I still can't figure it out.

I've searched but couldn't find an answer - but a link that explains it would be just as helpful.

Thanks!

EDIT: OK, I thought I was created new post. I'll leave this here, and create a new one.

Last edited by codys; 10-16-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: oopsie
codys is offline   Reply With Quote