Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #32656
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, original Papwerwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
NEWSFLASH: No one cares (not even a tiny bit) that their chili doesn't meet your tired, ridiculously rigid (and entirely dogma-born) notion of what's "allowed" to be called chili. Keep it to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Uh-oh, Chili Wars. Here in the US Desert Southwest, man, we take those battles very seriously! :-)

Hitch
Yup, I know you do. And yet, I'm entirely in agreement with DiapDealer here. I have no patience with dogmatism of any sort. Now, if you put pineapple in your chili, that's fine, I'll happily call it chili if you want. But I'll also call it not something I want to eat. The only criteria is "Is it enjoyable to eat?". If the answer is yes, I'm good with that. If the answer is no, then I'll pass, and you can call it whatever you wish.

On the cat litter question: I've been through cat litter wars. I've returned to a firm belief in clumping clay litter, unscented. And Litter-Robot III, which works! (Sadly, not for kittens -- it needs at least a 5 Lb. cat to activate properly.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM   #32657
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
NEWSFLASH: No one cares (not even a tiny bit) that their chili doesn't meet your tired, ridiculously rigid (and entirely dogma-born) notion of what's "allowed" to be called chili. Keep it to yourself.
My general response to chili of any stripe is, "More, please."

My guess is that this grew out of some dispute involving Cincinnati-style chili; was the Cincy booster the critic or the defender? Make mine a five-way.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #32658
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
My own rant doesn't really reach "rant" stage, as it's too dispiriting.

So... for the past two summers, there's been constant roadwork along the main drag out of my town; the worst aspect last summer was that it was at the intersection with the only road out of my neighborhood. One had a lot of time for cursing or meditation, depending on one's nature. And while the joke in northern climes is usually, "Two seasons: winter and roadwork," this year there was a third: winter and roadwork. But at least this was the latter year of two years of road improvement.

So yesterday, I'm driving north along this road and see one of those signs with dynamic messages. LAST WEEK OF PAVING Ah! Immediately followed by SEE YOU IN THE SPRING

What, what evil mind exists that could taunt the beleaguered local like that?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #32659
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My guess is that this grew out of some dispute involving Cincinnati-style chili; was the Cincy booster the critic or the defender? Make mine a five-way.
No. It was a bean/no bean debacle.

I don't even care if chili "hardliners" don't want to call something "chili". That's their call. I just despise seeing/hearing them try to force others to abide by their silly personal cooking/naming strictures.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #32660
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:

I don't even care if chili "hardliners" don't want to call something "chili". That's their call. I just despise seeing/hearing them try to force others to abide by their silly personal cooking/naming strictures.
Oh, the old bean/no-bean argument. Hell, I like it both ways. I love green chili (no beans, typically) and red (beans!). I like it with pork, with ground beef and with chunks o'beef. I even love Carol Shelby's Chili Fixins, made the long way AND the short. I like it pretty much almost any way. It doesn't always like me, as I age (sob), but that's why God invented acid reflux meds. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #32661
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
It doesn't always like me, as I age (sob), but that's why God invented acid reflux meds. :-)
Ain't THAT the truth?
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #32662
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Azpen A746, Entourage Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4
Quote:

Many programming forums adopted the stopper "Religious Argument" to be invoked in such cases. The underlying beliefs resided on an emotional level and were not amenable to rational argument. (The canonical example was whether Vi or Emacs was the One True Editor on Unix systems.)

Stuff like that can be fun to argue about as long as everyone is aware there's no one right answer and agreement won't be reached.

Of course, the folks for whom stuff like this is a religious belief won't comprehend the idea there isn't one right answer...

You can find similar fun among barbecue fanatics talking about the best sauce.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #32663
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
There's a similar argument in Spain about the Spanish omelette (tortilla de patatas), with or without onion
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM   #32664
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Ain't THAT the truth?
Amen, brother. I live on that stuff. I can't abide the idea of living on pablum, so, Prevacid it is. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #32665
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, original Papwerwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
(The canonical example was whether Vi or Emacs was the One True Editor on Unix systems.)
Vi, of course. Duh!

(It's still my editor, even on Windows systems.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #32666
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Vi, of course. Duh!

(It's still my editor, even on Windows systems.)
Same here
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #32667
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Vi. But, since I had ed commands hard-coded into my fingers, it was a natural.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #32668
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

A little off-topic, but I'll be brief and move on: Chrome users who love vi should do themselves a favor and check out the Vimium extension (if they haven't already). There's Firefox port, but it's a work in progress, I've heard.
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM   #32669
trichobezoar
Chaos Theory & Pi
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Oh, these cookies are too good! This is my 4th... or 5th one! *munching away*

Call me gordita.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness