Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Ausir
Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Post Watts, Peter: The Island and Other Stories. v3.0. 3 Feb 2012

Here's a collection of short fiction by Peter Watts (including the Hugo-winning "The Island" and Hugo-nominated "The Things") that I compiled based on PDFs found on his website. Watts's novels are already available in .mobi format on his website.

The e-book contains the following stories (in order of original publication):
  • “A Niche”
  • “Nimbus”
  • “Flesh Made Word”
  • “Fractals”
  • “Bethlehem”
  • “The Second Coming of Jasmine Fitzgerald”
  • “Home”
  • “Bulk Food”
  • “Ambassador”
  • “A Word for Heathens”
  • “Mayfly”
  • “Repeating the Past”
  • "The Eyes of God"
  • “Hillcrest v. Velikovsky”
  • “The Island”
  • “The Things”
  • "Malak"

I made it for my own use to be able to read them on my Kindle, but since he released all of them under a Creative Commons license (non-commercial, share-alike), I figured I might just as well upload them somewhere for others to download.

As it’s mostly converted from PDF files, there have been quite a few conversion artifacts to fix, although I tried to fix as many of them as possible. If you notice any, please report them here.

mobi version

Edit: February 3, 2012. Uploaded v3.0

With the author's permission, I have added one more short story to the collection - "Malak".

Edit: January 9, 2012. Uploaded v2.0

With the author's permission, I have added one more short story to the collection - "The Eyes of God".

Last edited by Ausir; 08-01-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Ausir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Thank you,

I already have the novels, so this was a nice addition.
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Ausir
Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.Ausir knows the square root of minus one.

I haven't actually tested the .epub version (since I only have a Kindle), so please let me know if there are any issues with it.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Ausir

With Peter Watts's permission, I have updated the collection with one more short story, "The Eyes of God".
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Seems to work OK with the Firefox eReader browser extension, but the Table of Contents doesn't work with Adobe Digital Editions. In ADE it is not possible to jump to any of the TOC entries. Haven't put it on my Sony PRS-650 yet.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
I'm having some trouble with this one. When I try reading it in ADE or Nook for Mac all I get is the cover illustration and the TOC. Nothing else shows up. When I open it in Sigil I see all the stories, but the image in "Home" and the image on the CC License page only show as place holders. Opening from calibre it works fine, though the two images are still place holders only. I have not tried converting it to .mobi and loading it on my kindle yet.

Thanks for assembling these, though.

[edit] Just found the same problem with the illustrations in "The Second Coming of Jasmine Fitzgerald".

Last edited by loximuthal; 05-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This does not display properly in Adobe Digital Editions.

I decided to have a go at fixing this and gave up right away. This came out of Word and is just too messy to bother doing this. I'll let Ausir do this as it is a lot of work to fix ever story so they are valid XML.

This is proof positive that letting Word near anything that's eventually going to be an eBook is a very bad idea.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This does not display properly in Adobe Digital Editions.

I decided to have a go at fixing this and gave up right away. This came out of Word and is just too messy to bother doing this. I'll let Ausir do this as it is a lot of work to fix ever story so they are valid XML.

This is proof positive that letting Word near anything that's eventually going to be an eBook is a very bad idea.
A calibre EPUB>EPUB conversion seems to heal most ills. The preface to the first story still fails to display in ADE, but if you edit in Sigil and delete the MASSIVE commented code in that file it then displays. The code still isn't pretty, but the book can be read. BTW, you probably would also want to check the "Remove spacing between paragraphs" option in calibre's when doing the conversion.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Ausir

I've uploaded a new version. Can you check whether it displays better?

Tags
peter watts, science fiction, short stories