Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #16
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Welcome all the early birds to the challenge! I hope that 2018 is an enjoyable reading year for you all!
Same here!

I am still reviewing my challenges, but I do know that one of them will be the GR Bingo Challenge. I'll also probably keep my 75 books read target, although I'm probably going to make 85 this year (that total includes some DNFs and a few shortish stories, so it balances out).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
What is this challenge? I read a fair number of WWI books at the centenary of the start of the war, but without any sort of organization. Is there a list?
My challenges are very dull and capricious; I just set myself a target of a certain number of books in a particular category and then read whatever book appeals at a given moment.

The Great War has been an interest of mine for decades and I have a large library; while I've read most of them, there is still quite a subset of unreads and 2018 seems like a good occasion for a push.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I'm setting myself four challenges, of which three ar really going to be a challenge at times

- read 200 books, not that challenging, since I normally read 20-25 books a month but I am aiming to read more types of books, so it might take me longer though to achieve this goal

- categorise my ebooks on the kindle - this will be *boring* but needs to be done

- maintain or shrink TBR, which is 843 now... This will be the most difficult challenge for me

- read more of a variation of books, not just my favourite genres, so to achieve this I am hoping to read *all* the book club books, but at least 10 of the choices 2018

Last edited by June; 01-02-2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: TBR amount
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:47 AM   #19
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I plan to have a mix of reading challenges again this year. I've got a few planned already.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #20
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've settled on 2 challenges (for now), to read 75 books and to do my best to complete the GR Bingo Challenge. I'm dropping the separate Category Challenge I did last year, as this is well covered by the Bingo challenge.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #21
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
There are a few series that I would like to either catch up on or complete. I am not, however, limiting myself to series already started. I just want to see how this year goes.
I have commited to three series and would like to fit in two others for a goal of five series that I would like to complete in 2018:
  • Sookie Stackhouse - Reread & Complete
  • The Demon Cycle (if time permits) - New to Me
  • The Hollows - Reread & Complete
  • Codex Alera - From my TBR (First time read)
  • The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings (if time permits) - Reread
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #22
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
So, MrsJoseph at the Goodreads MR Book Challenges forum mentioned the "Buried Alive!" challenge. Given how many people have a "reduce my TBR in 2018" goal I thought this might get some interest. I made a quick spreadsheet for it if you want to play along (make a copy please).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #23
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Wow, that's one heck of a spreadsheet... "embarrassing cover?" heh.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #24
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ya, I laughed at a couple of the categories in there.

As for the spreadsheet, thank you! It's something I like to do.

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-05-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Updated link.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #25
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
So, MrsJoseph at the Goodreads MR Book Challenges forum mentioned the "Buried Alive!" challenge. Given how many people have a "reduce my TBR in 2018" goal I thought this might get some interest. I made a quick spreadsheet for it if you want to play along (make a copy please).
What a cool idea! My problem is having no idea of the length of ownership dates of the 800+ paper books we own... But my spreadsheet for the year has all 586 of my unread ebooks on it, with some ugly conditional formatting if that number goes up.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
All I can say is that it's a good thing eBooks don't weigh as much as DT books! I'm sure my house isn't load rated that high!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #27
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How many points should I assign to reading the ebook copy (obtained three years ago) of a paper book I bought 20+ years ago? And does it matter if I still have the paper copy?

And there's the copy of Swiss Family Robinson I was given 30+ years ago and will have finished reading to my kids next year, part points as I read most of it this year? (It has been very educational, the kids now understand the thought processes which led to the extinction of the passenger pigeons, dodo birds ... and we've had interesting discussion about the geographical impossibilities in the book and the likelihood that the family could have really done everything.).
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #28
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
My problem is having no idea of the length of ownership dates of the 800+ paper books we own...
I think in the GR thread they just say "make a guess", it sounds pretty informal.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #29
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Last year I went through some personal crises and immediately did an about face on my resolutions.
(well, it's still technically this year for a few more days)

I'm going to read a lot more books and simply write down in my space in the list thread as well as participate more in the discussion thread.

I want to get my toes wet one more time, and be a part of next year's challenge.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #30
Kokomo Lee
Keeps on Ticking...
Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles, iStuff, Nexus and a partridge
Thank you for setting up the challenge again! My goal for 2018 is to post my books to MobileRead in a timely manner
Kokomo Lee is offline   Reply With Quote