Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Alexa Coming to Fire Tablets

Introducing Alexa on Fire Tablets—Coming Soon

I'm very disappointed in Amazon. They only plan on adding this feature to 5th and new 6th gen Fires, even though 4th gen Fires run the same software (5.3.1) and have hardware specs better than or equal to the 5th and 6th gen models.

Quote:
It just got even easier to enjoy endless entertainment on your Fire tablet with Alexa, the cloud-based voice service that is the brain behind Amazon Echo. When connected to Wi-Fi, simply long-press the home button and ask Alexa to play your favorite song, open a game, or read you the latest audiobook—Alexa provides quick access to the entertainment you want. Plus, you can ask Alexa for the news, weather, jokes, questions, and more—Alexa provides natural-language responses, combined with on-screen information on the tablet’s display. Third parties can publish Alexa skills, so you can ask Alexa to play music from services including Pandora and Spotify, and turn off the light or adjust the temperature on compatible smart home devices.

Alexa will be available on the all-new Fire HD 8, Fire HD 10, Fire and last year’s Fire HD 8 tablets via a free over-the-air software update in the coming months. Because Alexa is cloud-based, it gets smarter over time, meaning more Alexa capabilities for Fire tablets will be delivered in subsequent updates.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Amazon will never update 3rd and 4th Gen Fires precisely because they are better devices than they sell now. The HDX line of Fires far outclass the current range. Amazon a) don't want to outshine their current range of Fires and b) they want people to buy the ones on sale now.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
You can get an Alexa app. I got it when it 1st came out. You want it Get the APP it FREE!

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Am...or+kindle+fire
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You can get an Alexa app. I got it when it 1st came out. You want it Get the APP it FREE!

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Am...or+kindle+fire
That app is NOT compatible with all fires.
To save someone else the trouble of clicking: it is NOT compatible with a first generation fire.
Let me save some more time:
Here is the Minimum Operating System: Android 4.4
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I works fine with my Fire Phones. They are not only older they have been discontinued. ALL I am saying they should try it & not whine about it. No one knows what the New Alexa going to work on till amazon Releases it.
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I works fine with my Fire Phones. They are not only older they have been discontinued. ALL I am saying they should try it & not whine about it. No one knows what the New Alexa going to work on till amazon Releases it.
I cannot get that app because I do NOT have a compatible device.
There is a big difference between a Fire phone and a Fire.
I would rather let people know that the App may not work on all Fires than pass on bad information.
Yes, there is an Alexa app but it is NOT compatible with All devices.
That is why I researched it so people would know whether their device is compatible or not.

I do not like when people pass on half information. That is why when I find half information or worse wrong information, I will attempt to correct it.

So now we know it will work on some Fire phones but not All Fires.

Oh and it actually makes sense that it would work on the phones.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

You are already giving out 1/2 information. You said TWICE it wont work on your Fire BUT You never say What Fir you have. But I am 100% positive when they try to Download the app it Will tell them if it will work on their Fire or not.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
@Cinisajoy did state theirs was a 1st generation Fire tablet. That runs Android 2.2 or something like that. So there are many current apps which won't run on it. Alexa happens to be one of them.

And of course the subject of this thread is that Alexa skills are coming to the newer tablets, So it will support some voice commands.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-15-2016 at 07:31 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It works on my Kindle Fires *shrug* I have a HD7 (2013) and a HD6 (2014) I don't think either will get the integrated version of Alexa.

The KFv1 is obsolete and shouldn't even be a issue here. I have one but hubby used it sometimes. You can't install almost any new apps on it. Time to upgrade.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 09-15-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:26 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I had two HDXs and sold them both earlier this year. I know have another Fire but going forwards it will always be a cheap one, either a basic or one step up. The way Amazon treat software upgrades means I can never rely on one lasting more than a couple of years before they become obsolete.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
That is usually how an Android device works. When you buy you don't get upgrades to the next major version. Amazon has been more than accommodating since 2013 with upgrades. I can only think of Google with their Nexus line that has been faithful to allow each new major version till Nougat.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 09-16-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm running the Alexa app on my Fire HD 6 too. It runs okay. The app is not that great though, IMO. But then Amazon has never been known for great FW or software.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

ALEXA is Now on my PC Amazon Account UGH!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
ALEXA is Now on my PC Amazon Account UGH!!!
Is she causing you problems?
Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Alexa to begin rolling out to Amazon Fire tablets this week

This update is for 5th and 6th gen tablets only (2015 & 2016).

Quote:
When Amazon revealed the new Fire HD 8 tablet last month, they announced that it and other Fire tablets would soon have access to Alexa. It looks like soon has turned into now, because Alexa will begin rolling out to Fire tablets this week via a software update. It’s not entirely clear which specific tablets will be getting the voice assistant, but it’s for sure coming to Amazon’s current lineup of tablets, which includes the Fire 7″ tablet, the new Fire HD 8, and the Fire HD 10.

Alexa on tablets will work by pressing and holding the home button. In addition to Alexa’s standard capabilities, Amazon says all 3,000+ Alexa Skills will also work with Alexa on Fire tablets. Similar to on the Fire TV, Alexa on Fire tablets will display visual cards with additional information about your request. Echo and Echo Dot owners with Fire tablets will also see improvements to the visual cards that are displayed on Fire tablets when a request is made through an Echo device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote