Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #121
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
[GUI Plugin] ePub Merge not maintaining file order

Not sure if it's me or Sigil or the plugin, but when I ePubMerge a group of files the resulting super-epub's html files are not in the expected order when I open in Sigil

Seems to be related to some of the sub-epub file names being duplicated and ePubMerge creating it's own uniquified version names which sort wrong or are in the OFP/NCX wrong. I think that some of the references are also incorrect. The images, fonts, and style sheets are a possible issue also.

It might be worth considering a change to the plug in to make a first pass through each sub-ePub to rename the files and references to something that Sigil could order more better So if I'm merging 8 files and I've arranged them in order using the plugin, I could get a better starting point in Sigil

Top of my head example:

F01_0001_original nameABC.html
F01_0002_original nameDEF.html
F01_0003_original nameGHJ.html

F08_0099_original nameZXC.html
F08_0100_original nameDSA.html
F08_0101_original nameEWQ.html

and

F01_0001_original name.jpg

etc.

I've tried doing that manually and it sort of works some of the time, but not reliability

I would like to use ePub Merge since it seems to be a conveinent way to make a series into a single ePub that I can polish up in Sigil. Each book being a <h1> and the chapters or what not being <h2>

Paul

Last edited by phossler; 12-10-2013 at 04:38 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #122
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Not sure if it's me or Sigil or the plugin, but when I ePubMerge a group of files the resulting super-epub's html files are not in the expected order when I open in Sigil
Unfortunately, this is a known problem with Sigil.

I opened a bug report back in Feb 2013 and the Sigil team acknowledged that it was an issue. But as of Nov 2013 they've closed the bug without comment. I assume that means they have no interest in fixing it.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #123
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is a known problem with Sigil.
Thanks for letting me know.

Is there a way that the plugin could create a more 'Sigil-friendly' file naming when it generates the merged epub, assuming that it's the file names that cause the mis-sorting?

Paul
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #124
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is there a way that the plugin could create a more 'Sigil-friendly' file naming when it generates the merged epub, assuming that it's the file names that cause the mis-sorting?
EpubMerge, because it's combining files from different epubs, uses a different directory inside the epub zip file for the files from each source epub. That way it doesn't matter if different epubs had the same file names inside. And all relative links between files (be they html links, image tags, CSS, etc) are preserved without changing the content of the files. EpubMerge doesn't have to parse the content files at all.

Speaking from memory (I haven't tested it in a while), Sigil assumes that every file in the epub zip will have a unique name. And if there is an existing directory structure, it flattens that structure to suit its conventions, while parsing and changing the content files so that links reflect the new structure. That--especially if there are files with identical names in different directories--is the source of the problem.

So while EpubMerge could in theory produce 'Sigil-friendly' output, it would take additional work parsing files to change links and guaranteeing unique file names to do so. If somebody else wants to do it, I'd accept code contributions to make it an option, but I'm not planning to code it myself.

I don't have a problem with Sigil changing the content and structure to match its conventions. But since Sigil is the program that's misinterpreting valid epub files and is already parsing the files and changing all the links, I really think it's on Sigil to correct the way it reads epubs with directory structure.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #125
phossler
Wizard

Yea, I agree with you.

I was able to get mostly around the Sigil bug by using Sigil individually on all 10 epubs and renaming the HTMLs into a FILE01_001, etc. convention. Of course, I forgot the images so I still had a fair amount of manual cleanup to do to the merged output, but it was still easier.

Q: Did I understand correctly: Does EpubMerge create sub-folders inside the merged file that Sigil will read and flatten? Are they still there in case I need to un-merge?

Paul
Advert
Old 12-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #126
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Q: Did I understand correctly: Does EpubMerge create sub-folders inside the merged file that Sigil will read and flatten? Are they still there in case I need to un-merge?
Correct. Unmerging relies on merged epubs being in the directory structure EpubMerge put them in. So merged epubs cannot be unmerged after they've been edited in Sigil.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #127
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yea, I agree with you.

I was able to get mostly around the Sigil bug by using Sigil individually on all 10 epubs and renaming the HTMLs into a FILE01_001, etc. convention. Of course, I forgot the images so I still had a fair amount of manual cleanup to do to the merged output, but it was still easier.

Paul
Sigil is dead ended so don't expect changes.
Calibre is gaining an editor (without the flatten issue), but it is still a work in progress so don' t expect Sigils feature set yet (it will happen)

A work around.
Sigil each book, and use the rename function to change all filenames to something unique BEFORE merging, then it will not matter if they get flattened
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #128
phossler
Wizard

@theducks

Understand no more Sigil.

I'd like to know about the Calibre editor. It sounds interesting

And I actually did the suggested workaround. Next time I'll remember to also to rename the pictures also

Paul
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #129
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@theducks

Understand no more Sigil.

I'd like to know about the Calibre editor. It sounds interesting

And I actually did the suggested workaround. Next time I'll remember to also to rename the pictures also

Paul
The main discussion is still here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224525

It is Live in the current Calibre, just missing some of the Sigil 7 features I have grown used to . More stuff being added this next release
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #130
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

I wasn't aware of that effort; very interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #131
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Version 1.3.7 - 30 Dec 2013
  • Add French Translation. Thanks, Ptitprince.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #132
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Testing version with German translation. Thanks Wolfgang!

Please report any problems you happen to find.

UPDATE Feb 2, 2014 - Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 02-02-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 02-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #133
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Version 1.3.8 - 02 Feb 2014
  • Add German Translation. Thanks, Wolfgang.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #134
lazorbeam
Connoisseur
lazorbeam began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone; Fire HD
Thank you for all the time and energy you've spent on this. It's a great plug-in and I've found it really useful.

Recently, I've noticed that my original Table of Contents aren't preserved during the merge in Calibre. I've fiddled with the config settings a bit, but it hasn't returned them.

Currently, I have ticked "Insert Toc" and have left blank "Flatten ToC".

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this or knows which setting I have of. The plug-in I'm using is v. 1.3.7. I see above the next is out, but it's not up in Calibre yet, so I haven't done that.

I appreciate anyone's help and thanks again for making this.

Last edited by lazorbeam; 02-12-2014 at 10:40 PM.
lazorbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #135
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeam View Post
Recently, I've noticed that my original Table of Contents aren't preserved during the merge in Calibre. I've fiddled with the config settings a bit, but it hasn't returned them.

Currently, I have ticked "Insert Toc" and have left blank "Flatten ToC".

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this or knows which setting I have of.
It's working fine for me. Can you provide example epubs of a couple books that didn't merge like you expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeam View Post
The plug-in I'm using is v. 1.3.7. I see above the next is out, but it's not up in Calibre yet, so I haven't done that.
I don't know why calibre isn't offering the latest version. I've sent Kovid a PM asking about it.

Tags
calibre, combine books, epubmerge, make collection, merge epub, merge epubs