Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-23-2017, 01:33 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Mechanical keyboards can be quiet. Just avoid getting the super loud clicky ones (like MX Blues)!
I use one of these Matias Quiet Pro Keyboard for PC. Apart from its other attributes (quiet, tactile feedback, 3 usb ports) it is the only keyboard I know of that puts the bloody numlock key in its proper place

Quote:
There are plenty of tools for all OSes. And you can always find ways to run other tools if needed (like using Wine in Linux to run a ton of Windows stuff).
Then perhaps you know of a way I can run Spotlight under Windows, it being the only thing I know of that runs on Apple MACs that I seriously wish I had.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-23-2017 at 01:35 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:19 AM   #17
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Then perhaps you know of a way I can run Spotlight under Windows, it being the only thing I know of that runs on Apple MACs that I seriously wish I had.
AFAIK, Spotlight is built into the OS, but if you have Windows 8 or higher you could simply press the Windows key and enter your search term in the start menu. Like Spotlight, Windows will display matching app and file names. However, it won't display matching dictionary entries and website addresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Code:
cd YOURFOLDER
cat *.txt > ../combined.txt
Will concatenate the files in file name sort order.
Obviously this method will also work on Linux machines.
On a Windows machine, the following commands will do the same thing:

Code:
cd YOURFOLDER
copy *.txt combined.txt
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2017, 03:11 AM   #18
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
On a Windows machine, the following commands will do the same thing:

Code:
cd YOURFOLDER
copy *.txt combined.txt
Another great example (better than that one I initially linked to). A million and one methods to reach the same endpoint.

Quote:
I use one of these Matias Quiet Pro Keyboard for PC. Apart from its other attributes (quiet, tactile feedback, 3 usb ports) it is the only keyboard I know of that puts the bloody numlock key in its proper place
Isn't NumLock just one of those set-it-and-forget-it kind of buttons though? I just press it once when I boot the computer and never touch it again. The only time I notice it is off is if I go to properly type numbers and the cursor goes flying all over the place!

Quote:
I must admit, I don't use Mac (so not familiar with the specific tools). I just work in Linux/Windows-land.

But from a quick perusal, isn't this what Microsoft has been trying (keyword... trying) to do with their Windows 8/10 search?

I can't say I am a fan of everything being typed in the local search being broadcast to third parties + internet. Ubuntu got dinged for that a few years back, and here Microsoft is trying to shove it down everyone's throats:

"Oh, Test1.txt. Want me to Bing that for you? Too late, I already did."
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Isn't NumLock just one of those set-it-and-forget-it kind of buttons though? I just press it once when I boot the computer and never touch it again. The only time I notice it is off is if I go to properly type numbers and the cursor goes flying all over the place!
Or it (cursor) doesn't go anywhere because the blessed thing is pressed, very irritating on unwired keyboards that don't have any indicator lights.

I use the num pad a lot for short cuts - ctrl+home , ctl+alt+- for em hyph, ctrl+PgDn/Up for Find next and previous etc, etc. Matias replaces numlock with a Tab key, which is useful when the numlock is on and you're bashing numbers into a spreadsheet. Numlock is next to Pause, up where Scroll Lock lives - where its always belonged - IMO

Quote:
I must admit, I don't use Mac (so not familiar with the specific tools). I just work in Linux/Windows-land.

But from a quick perusal, isn't this what Microsoft has been trying (keyword... trying) to do with their Windows 8/10 search?

I can't say I am a fan of everything being typed in the local search being broadcast to third parties + internet. Ubuntu got dinged for that a few years back, and here Microsoft is trying to shove it down everyone's throats:

"Oh, Test1.txt. Want me to Bing that for you? Too late, I already did."
Spotlight searches the content of files. It's analogous to Windows/File Explorer Search (top right corner) on steroids, in that it can search inside more file types - in particular ePubs.

The search thing that recent Windows versions put in the task bar, that can be also invoked via Winkey+S seems to be a different kettle of fish. It only seems to be useful for looking up programs and the like. AFAIK it doesn't look inside your documents, emails, C++ code, music and video metadata etc etc - thank goodness. That's what the other one does.

I think the Bing thing your referring to must be related to the Cortana thing (or as I call it the Mrs Ford Cortina thing), she doesn't speak 'strine so we don't get her down here - or at least I don't.

Why Mrs Ford Cortina, in my world she's the daughter of Ford Prefect. I believe Mrs Cortina's Apple analogue is called Siri, which in my world has to be short for Ferranti Sirius (ly)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-23-2017 at 08:19 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #20
CalibUser
Addict
CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.

Device: Sony
I have just developed a plugin that will import text files, one at a time.
See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285771
CalibUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert