Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Maybe use a .bin that requires booting into diags mode to run. Whatever, I agree that they'll figure something out. And they'll make it as simple as copy the file, click a few buttons.
I now see where your 'Irrational Optimist' handle comes from!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Well, they DO have superpowers ...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Oh, that's from our club (it's in my sig). We were being Irrationally Optimistic about a book release (for fun) and it all kind of snowballed.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #19
brims
brims began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The good news is there is a somewhat techy way to downgrade the firmware. Our local Kindle Developers Corner is busy as usual and has gotten an image of the 5.4.0 partition which can be flashed through diags mode and scary stuff etc. and so forth....

If you're up to it, here is the link: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

And at some point, after Ixtab gets off his holiday break, he will create an easy install method.

You will need to jailbreak, and there is no non-jailbreak image since the install is based off a jailbroken firmware.
I will read over this link and see if I'm up to it, I've rooted my Android phone, so this shouldn't be a huge issue for me. Thank you for the link.

As for SirMaru, I have to agree with the others, completely useless post. If you love the new crippled PW2 firmware, great, no help at all for myself or anyone else who got this firmware pushed to their device.
brims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #20
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
I wouldn't rush into downgrading too quickly as there are signs that a fix from Amazon may be in the pipeline.
I share and account with my husband so I hope they are fixing it, and soon. He ends up with all my books & collections on his kindle. What have Amazon said? It would be better if they just got rid of the 'feature', or at least made it optional.

Ren
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
I share and account with my husband so I hope they are fixing it, and soon. He ends up with all my books & collections on his kindle. What have Amazon said? It would be better if they just got rid of the 'feature', or at least made it optional.

Ren
Have you reported your unhappiness to Amazon? The more people who do so, the more likely it is that they'll do something about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #22
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
yes, as soon as the implications became apparent.
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #23
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
PW's never got pushed firmware for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by brims View Post
As for SirMaru, I have to agree with the others, completely useless post. If you love the new crippled PW2 firmware, great, no help at all for myself or anyone else who got this firmware pushed to their device.
My PW 2012 and PW 2013 NEVER got any firmware pushed to them. I read about the firmware on this Forum, then went to the proper link, downloaded the firmware and installed it myself.

In contrast, my HD 2012 and HDX 2013 always get their firmware pushed to it.

I keep WiFi off on all my devices except when actually reading on them or using apps. Maybe the PW's require that WiFi be on when NOT reading to get the push.

The big reason why others get different outcomes when using 5.4.2 for the PW 2013 may be related to the probability they use Calibre and I do not use it.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-04-2014 at 05:22 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My PW 2012 and PW 2013 NEVER got any firmware pushed to them. I read about the firmware on this Forum, then went to the proper link, downloaded the firmware and installed it myself.

In contrast, my HD 2012 and HDX 2013 always get their firmware pushed to it.

I keep WiFi off on all my devices except when actually reading on them or using apps. Maybe the PW's require that WiFi be on when NOT reading to get the push.
Perhaps you downloaded it early, I can assure you if you wait long enough they will eventually push it to you.
Quote:
The big reason why others get different outcomes when using 5.4.2 for the PW 2013 may be related to the probability they use Calibre and I do not use it.
This is utter garbage, please refrain from future brain farts.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #25
mallums
Enthusiast
mallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Highly unlikely.
mallums is offline   Reply With Quote