Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
vagabondvivant
vagabondvivant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10, Boyue T65s
What is the cheapest e-reader I can turn into a word processor?

I'm looking for an e-reader that I can hook up a keyboard to (either via OTG or BT) and write on.

That's it.

I don't need any other features than that. The word processor doesn't even need to be fancy. A Terminal-style text editor is perfectly fine. I just want something I can sit under a harsh sun with and not have to worry about glare.

So far the only "solutions" I've found are $300 e-ink tablets, well outside my budget.

I purchased a Boox Caesar 2 for this purpose, but the lack of wifi makes app installation impossible (unless there's a way to sideload apps that I'm unaware of). I've also got a Kindle 10 that I'm more than happy to jailbreak, if that's an option.

Otherwise, I'm in the market for a reader that'll let me use it as a word processor. I don't care if it's old, needs to be rooted/jailbroken, or what — so long as it works and doesn't cost too much.

Are there any readers out there that can do this?
vagabondvivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
vagabondvivant

UPDATE: Turns out I am able to sideload a text editor app onto the Caesar 2 via adb, I just had my command wrong. I was also able to use a keyboard over a powered OTG cable, and though the refresh was pretty sluggish, it functioned as a rudimentary word processor.

That said, the lack of touch interface makes the app a huge pain to use, so the search continues —*this time for a cheap e-reader with a decent refresh.

In any event, I'll consider this case closed but leave the thread open just on the random chance that, five years from now, someone googles up the same problem.
Advert
Old 11-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
why would you want to write on an ereader? There is an eink typewriter like device out there i just do not remember the name of it.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
I use an alphasmart. Very cheap and really nice to separate the writing experience
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #5
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
The cheapest tablet AFAIK is the nexus7 used or an old fire
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
The cheapest tablet AFAIK is the nexus7 used or an old fire
New, 7", Fires are currently on sale for $30. Get an OTG adapter and you can hook up a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse to it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:39 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Maybe an Android ereader?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:45 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Echoing the above - if all you want is an on-the-go low-feature word processor, grab an Alphasmart on ebay. They cost next to nothing, they're hardy, and the keyboard is great.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:20 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
I use an alphasmart. Very cheap and really nice to separate the writing experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Echoing the above - if all you want is an on-the-go low-feature word processor, grab an Alphasmart on ebay. They cost next to nothing, they're hardy, and the keyboard is great.
An Alphasmart Neo is a really nice option. I have one and find that it's great for getting words down. You're not distracted with the format, you can concentrate on the content.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-BY-ALPH...sAAOSweW5U~2~d
Old 11-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're interested in the Alphies, go for the Neo2, purely because it's a slightly newer model. I have both the Neo and Neo2. Once you have one, you get addicted!
Old 11-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
If you're interested in the Alphies, go for the Neo2, purely because it's a slightly newer model. I have both the Neo and Neo2. Once you have one, you get addicted!
Has anyone here used the Dana?
Old 11-26-2019, 01:15 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
My understanding is that the battery doesn't last as long as the Neo's: just a few hours as compared to the Neo's 700 hours. The Flickr group still exist, some there use Danas. There's also an Alphasmart group on Facebook.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The Dana is a whole different creature. My brother had one and I tried it for a while. It had a good keyboard, but the weight was off and it didn't work well on your lap (top heavy, it tended to want to try to nose dive to the floor). Also the screen was kind of dull. It ran on Palm 3.x (I believe, maybe it was 4.x). As mentioned elsewhere the battery life is not nearly as good. It attempted to be a full-fledged word processor. Some people like them a lot but I'm not one of them. I like the simplicity of the Neo. Any formatting can be done on the computer (at least that's the way I look at it).

But the Dana is pretty cheap now (when they show up) so, if you're curious, it probably wouldn't cost much to try one out -- and resell it if you didn't like it.

EDIT: Well, they were pretty cheap. Right now there's only a couple available on eBay. It's been a while since I checked.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Dana is a whole different creature. My brother had one and I tried it for a while. It had a good keyboard, but the weight was off and it didn't work well on your lap (top heavy, it tended to want to try to nose dive to the floor). Also the screen was kind of dull. It ran on Palm 3.x (I believe, maybe it was 4.x). As mentioned elsewhere the battery life is not nearly as good. It attempted to be a full-fledged word processor. Some people like them a lot but I'm not one of them. I like the simplicity of the Neo.
The ergonomics and design of the Neo are amazing - shove it in a backpack, use it on your lap, just perfect.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:23 AM   #15
vagabondvivant

I came across the Alphasmart and normally would've jumped right on it, but what I didn't mention in the OP is that I travel a lot (and for long stretches when I do), so I'm trying to keep my load minimal.

Since I already carry an e-reader (Kindle 10th gen in this case), it's worth it to add a 6oz folding bluetooth keyboard to my pack for the ability to write outdoors. A 2+lb Alphasmart, however, is another story.

That said, I found the Likebook Air on Aliexpress and it looks like it might be exactly what I want — an e-reader and e-writer in one. If it is, then it'll replace the Kindle in my pack and bring me one step closer to leaving my laptop behind completely.

Tags
typing, word processing, writing