Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Nook Color first hands-on!

Hmm, I was checking out Engadget site and I saw this article about the new Nook Color. It's really impressive. Take a look at the video: http://engt.co/cyy0kT

Last edited by Nathan Campos; 11-11-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I liked the desktop with the covers of books and magazines grouped on it. I'm not on the LCD wagon but I see a lot of people going for this (why spend all that money for an iPad).

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-11-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo send = spend
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I am actually looking forward to seeing this once it makes it to the stores so I can get to play with it
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LCD have a lot of problems, they hurt your eyes, it's impossible to see something while on the sun and other stuff...
Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
(why spend all that money for an iPad).
For fiction books? Probably not much reason. But for magazines, PDFs, apps, and general real estate, plenty of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
LCD have a lot of problems, they hurt your eyes,

Oh boy...
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
For fiction books? Probably not much reason. But for magazines, PDFs, apps, and general real estate, plenty of reasons.
It seems to be quite serviceable to me for magazines, and PDFs. Since it's an Android tablet, there will be apps as well (after hacking I think I read). The price difference for a little bit more real estate with the iPad is too much, IMO.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Nathan Campos
Groupie

Quote:
Oh boy...
What's the problem?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It seems to be quite serviceable to me for magazines, and PDFs. Since it's an Android tablet, there will be apps as well (after hacking I think I read). The price difference for a little bit more real estate with the iPad is too much, IMO.
The real estate is actually twice the screen size on the iPad, and magazines and PDF's are just on the cutrting edge with the Ipad. I do not see a 7 inch screen being a pleasant reading experience for those.

As for apps, the hacking ain't happened yet. And it is after all hacking.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
What's the problem?
No problem, Nathan, it's just I hate to see that poor old dead horse dragged out for another beating.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
The real estate is actually twice the screen size on the iPad, and magazines and PDF's are just on the cutrting edge with the Ipad. I do not see a 7 inch screen being a pleasant reading experience for those.

As for apps, the hacking ain't happened yet. And it is after all hacking.
The article mode looked good to me. I use Readability with a lot of online content, and their article mode looked similar. You could still look at all of the pretty pictures and focus on the writing separately. That may not be perfect but I thought it was pretty good.

As far as hacking, I said I thought I read that but I could be wrong (which so very unusual for me ). Hacking is not necessarily a bad thing (iPads and iPods get jailbroken for more functionality).

If the iPad works for you, great. If the nook color works for someone else, great. I won't be purchasing either one but have no problems with those who do.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why was this posted in the Amazon forum and not the nook forum?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:

As far as hacking, I said I thought I read that but I could be wrong (which so very unusual for me ). Hacking is not necessarily a bad thing (iPads and iPods get jailbroken for more functionality).

If the iPad works for you, great. If the nook color works for someone else, great. I won't be purchasing either one but have no problems with those who do.
Agreed!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have Nook for a year, Kindle 3 for a month, and iPad for two weeks. All are great products. This is how I use these toys for reading:

Nook: read ePub books only (and used to read eNews on it)

Kindle 3: read mobi books, and enews from Calibre. I have to admit that I'm now hooked to Kindle 3 than Nook, due to its higher contrast, faster speed, thinner, and less weight. With Duokan firmware, I can read ePub on my Kindle 3, but there are still some flaws on rendering ePub.

iPad: read magazines, some enews which I need to see photos in color, large-sized pdf. It's a bit distracted when I use iPad because I tend to check email, twitter, websites from time to time, instead of just reading books on it.

Now I usually carry both Kindle 3 and iPad in same netbook case.

If my wife says I can only keep one toy, iPad is definitely my choice due to its versatility. If she allows me two, I'll count Kindle 3 in.

Nook Color, IMO, is like a Frankenstein product, a mix and match of ereader and tablet where both features are compromised.

Last edited by bthoven; 11-11-2010 at 10:38 PM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Now I usually carry both Kindle 3 and iPad in same netbook case.

If my wife says I can only keep one toy, iPad is definitely my choice due to its versatility. If she allows me two, I'll count Kindle 3 in.

Nook Color, IMO, is like a Frankenstein product, a mix and match of ereader and tablet where both features are compromised.
For people with resources to keep a device for every purpose, Nook Color to those are viewed as a compromise. For someone like me who can't afford such a luxury, the Nook Color priced at $250 is the best of two worlds. I do not want to shell out additional $250 for an iPad which provides features that I don't need and another $100 to $150 for a dedicated e-ink reader. I do not read in direct sunlight and I do not have problems reading books on LCD screen.

Besides that, the size of iPad to me is a deal maker since I can't fit it in my purse and I don't like to carry any more bags around other than my purse.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
nabrum
nabrum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
LCD have a lot of problems, they hurt your eyes, it's impossible to see something while on the sun and other stuff...
They sure don't hurt my eyes. And they don't seem to hurt yours much since you're on a PC.

Eye strain/LCD is a myth. One can have eye strain from reading a DTB for too long.
nabrum is offline   Reply With Quote