Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I tend to prefer my zombie stories without the twist. George Romero got the formula right in my opinion.

Having said that, one very popular zombie book is Brian Keene's The Rising. I abandoned it, but I appear to be in the minority.

A father is hunkered down, trying to survive the zombie apocalypse, as you do. His wife and son are out and he's given them up for dead until he receives a phone call that sends him on the road to find his son.

Another one that is different is David Wellington's Monster Island. It's basically Escape From New York if the prisoners were zombies.

If you don't mind reading comics, you might like iZombie. The series deals with Gwen Dylan, a zombie gravedigger in Eugene, Oregon and her friends Ellie, a 1960s ghost, and Scott, a were-terrier.

Gwen can pass for a regular girl, but she needs to eat a brain once a month to keep from losing her memories and intelligence. When she consumes their brains she "inherits" part of the deceased's thoughts.

iZombie was turned into a TV series, but I never watched it.
Zombie books seems to be one of those genres that is dominated by the indie movement. Correa's Monster Hunter International is the best known publishing house series that has zombies and that started as an Indie. John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series is by far and away the best treatment that I've read from a publishing house (or Indie for that matter) and you also have Max Brooks Z books. Past that, I can't think of any.

I agree with you on the George Romero comment. Give me shamblers any day!

Past the MHI and the Black Tide Rising series, I really haven't found any zombie books that I really loved and would recommend (I thought that World War Z was just ok). Every so often, I get the urge and try the first book from different series (long time original Night of the Living Dead/Dawn of the Dead fan. Didn't care for the remake though). Most of them are in the "ok, but don't really care to get the rest of the series" category. There were a couple where I did get the next book in the series, but those fizzled out pretty quickly.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidney View Post
For a different take try "The Girl With All The Gifts" by M.R. Carey.
I second "The Girl with all the gifts" and also suggest (though not exactly zombies, but close) Jan Strnad's "Risen"
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #18
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
I really liked Zone One, by Coulson Whitehead, which focuses on a small squad of volunteers that's helping to clean up Manhattan after a zombie outbreak. Although a lot of people seem to hate it over on Goodreads ...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10365343-zone-one
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #19
Lusitanic
Leader
Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, One Plus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Yes, The Reanimation of Edward Schuett by Derek Goodman. I have it available to loan to one person on Amazon (If you don't want it Glen, then the first person who requests via PM). I also have the audiobook, but I don't know how lending works with Audible.

This guy has been a zombie for 50 years and then, amazingly becomes human again.
YES! I loved this book! Please read it asap! If you want a zombie story with a twist...this is it!

Good thread by the way! I also miss some good old zombie action haha.
Lusitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #20
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
"The Girl with all the Gifts" is something special. The next book in the series, "The Boy on the Bridge", is also very good.

Owen Baillie's "Invasion of the Dead" series is also worth a look.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #21
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Stephen King has two books that are kinda related to "zombies" stuff or at least pos apocalyptic things.

Cell
Pet Sematary

I read both of them and Pet Sematary was the one that I liked the most.
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #22
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Pet Sematary was really good. I didn't read it for a long time simply because of the title. I can see where you are coming from, but I would not really classify it as involving Zombies.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #23
Morelli
Morelli began at the beginning.

Device: v4
Mindful zombies are an extraordinary turn on the great equation. It's so difficult to have a zombie as a hero, yet Diana Rowland pulls it off phenomenally with her White Trash Zombie arrangement. Will Angela Crawford have the capacity to oppose her recently discovered want to eat brains? Will she discover love? This urban dream adds southern appeal and silliness to an irregular zombie story.
Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #24
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
One I liked, and probably the closest thing to a zombie story I have read recently, was Tade Thompson's Rosewater. Zombies are not really the central theme of the story though, they just come about as a consequence of other more interesting events.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Zombie books seems to be one of those genres that is dominated by the indie movement. Correa's Monster Hunter International is the best known publishing house series that has zombies and that started as an Indie. John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series is by far and away the best treatment that I've read from a publishing house (or Indie for that matter) and you also have Max Brooks Z books. Past that, I can't think of any.

I agree with you on the George Romero comment. Give me shamblers any day!

Past the MHI and the Black Tide Rising series, I really haven't found any zombie books that I really loved and would recommend (I thought that World War Z was just ok). Every so often, I get the urge and try the first book from different series (long time original Night of the Living Dead/Dawn of the Dead fan. Didn't care for the remake though). Most of them are in the "ok, but don't really care to get the rest of the series" category. There were a couple where I did get the next book in the series, but those fizzled out pretty quickly.
A zombie series that I enjoyed that is without a twist is Joe McKinney's Dead World. It's also not an indie series as it's published by Pinnacle.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Stephen King has two books that are kinda related to "zombies" stuff or at least pos apocalyptic things.

Cell
Oh yeah! I meant to suggest Cell as well. It's sure not my favorite SK novel, but it IS a zombie novel with a twist.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
A zombie series that I enjoyed that is without a twist is Joe McKinney's Dead World. It's also not an indie series as it's published by Pinnacle.
Hadn't heard of that one before, I picked up a copy of book 1 and will give it a try.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #28
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I just finished "The Reality Dysfunction" which is book 1 of Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy.

Zombies in space!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #29
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Anything by David Wellington.

Monster Island series was good. So was Patient Zero.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Colson Whitehead, who won the Pulitzer for Underground Railroad, wrote a zombie apocalypse novel called Zone One.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote