Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Hazeldor
Hazeldor began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD
Post Importing Metadata from .bib or MySQL Database

Hello all,

I have a large collection of ebooks for research that I was previously managing with JabRef locally on my PC. I am moving these to my iPAD with Calibre and Stanza. My question is: I have a large amount of metadata ready in a JabRef .bib database file. How can I import this information into Calibre when I add books from my collection? Is there an appropriate plugin for example? Jabref allows me to export to an external database such as MySQL so if there is a way to get metadata from a custom MySQL database that would work for me equally well.

I am interested in fields like Series, Edition, Editors as well as the standard author and publisher fields.

Many thanks for any help you can giive me on what looks like a great piece of software!
Hazeldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazeldor View Post
Hello all,

I have a large collection of ebooks for research that I was previously managing with JabRef locally on my PC. I am moving these to my iPAD with Calibre and Stanza. My question is: I have a large amount of metadata ready in a JabRef .bib database file. How can I import this information into Calibre when I add books from my collection? Is there an appropriate plugin for example? Jabref allows me to export to an external database such as MySQL so if there is a way to get metadata from a custom MySQL database that would work for me equally well.

I am interested in fields like Series, Edition, Editors as well as the standard author and publisher fields.

Many thanks for any help you can giive me on what looks like a great piece of software!
Welcome

You will have to do a bit of scripting
Look at the Command line interface:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/cli/calibredb.html

You might also review: the "Add from ISBN" ( little arrow next to add books) and see if the few options there would meed your needs.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
Hazeldor
Hazeldor began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD
@theducks - Thank you very much for responding!

The scripting link looks very useful and probably the way to do it. Are there any ready-made scripting resources available, with basic stuff like accessing the calibre database, cycling through all the books etc... ? Just to avoid reinventing the wheel if you know what I mean.

I am running this from Windows and I am ok to use either perl or python to do the job.

Thanks again!
Hazeldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazeldor View Post
The scripting link looks very useful and probably the way to do it. Are there any ready-made scripting resources available, with basic stuff like accessing the calibre database, cycling through all the books etc... ? Just to avoid reinventing the wheel if you know what I mean.
Searching the forum for "calibredb list" or something similar might give some useful results.

Quote:
I am running this from Windows and I am ok to use either perl or python to do the job.
If you know what you're doing, you can use Python to directly call Calibre's code- this might be helpful, although you'd probably be safer just using the CLI tools.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote