Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
For those who missed the $50 Connect Store Credit the *first* go 'round ...

It looks like Sony thinks the Credit was a good deal for them too. If you have a look at their dedicated Reader Page, under item #9, Promotions (I can't link to it directly, 'cause it's a Flash element), they're offering the $50 credit again for the next 2 months (March & April). So if you haven't authorized your Reader to an Account yet, wait 'til tomorrow (03/01) and you can get the credit.

The same page is also touting the $100 credit for opening a Sony Credit Card account, so apparently they aren't too upset by the idea of it being used to defray part of the Reader's cost.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
acantha
acantha began at the beginning.

oh weak! i just activated mine not three days ago. laaaaaame.

oh well. i don't buy that many books, but i woulda found use for a 50 dollar credit.
Advert
Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
You can always send them an email explaining your circumstances, chances are they'll still credit you. Nothing to lose but a few minutes typing an email, with the worst case scenario being a "Sorry, but..." Worked for me with the initial offering.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

What's really amusing is that by clicking that promo information link, it links you to the OLD $50 credit information. Good old Sony.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Well, the credit card promotion comes from a different fund under their credit department. They don't care about what you spend it on as long as they can hook it up with a credit card. If they get a 10% retention for those who sign up, the money they give out will pay its dues in future.
Advert
Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's great news! I've never bothered to register my Reader. Now's probably a good time to do so. Thanks for passing on the information.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi there. I just bought a reader for my wife on Valentine's day, after she dropped the Rocket Ebook device we had. She loves the sony reader! I had held off on registing it, because I thought sony might do another promotion, since we just missed out on the previous $50 promotion.

My question is, how long does it take for Sony to apply the $50 to the account created? I registered and authorized her ebook this morning, but want to know how long it takes before she gets her credit.

Thanks.
-Phil
Old 03-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
taralon
Enthusiast
taralon has learned how to buy an e-book online

The original promotion was immediate. If you added some books to your cart in the sony connect store and went to check out you'd see Book Cost: $5.65 Credit: $50.00 Remaining credit... etc. It only showed up in the check out though.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome to MobileRead, junkml!

Assuming that the last time is indicative of what they'll do this time (a reasonable assumption, I think), the credit should show up in the 'Transaction History' section of your account pretty quickly, certainly within a day, more likely within an hour or so. That's probably the only place you'll see the thing.

To get to it, log on to your account in the ebook store inside ConnSoft, go to the 'Account' page (if you're not already there), and look for 'Transaction History' over towards the lower right. Under that, click on 'View your billing history,' and you should see the credit listed there.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, nothing showed up, and if I go to purchase a book, I get to the next to last step and still nothing.

Got through to chat with someone from sony connect, and they went through all kinds of steps, including de-authorizing and re-authorizing the device.

Finally ended up saying they will have to escalate the problem and email us a coupon code.

So later today, or maybe tomorrow we should have a code.

Looking forward to it. My wife and I love this device.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm glad they're taking care of it -- they have been pretty good so far with that particular detail.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
What's really amusing is that by clicking that promo information link, it links you to the OLD $50 credit information. Good old Sony.
Heh, I guess they heard you, WilliamG, they seem to have updated that information now.

They also seem to have added to the official list of retailers since I looked at it last, I don't recall Fry's or CompUSA being there before, though we've known they were retailing the Reader for a while now.

And I think they've updated the PDF guide (under tips & tricks) as well -- I don't have an old copy handy to compare them but there seems to me that there is more information in it than there was before.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I don't really understand all this business with Connect books. Why would anyone want to buy them or even get them for free? Say in 2 years time another company makes a better reader, you but it...and what? You cannot read any books you bought via connect. Even if 2 years time sony stops to support the reader for any reason, and your reader breaks down...all the money you spent on the connect books are equal to zeo. IMHO, buying books on connect is similar to throwing money to a rubbish bin. If I buy a book on amazon today, I can read it in 1-2-5 years times. Connect store is rediculous idea.

Am I missing something or what?

I mean I would not want them for free, let alone waste my money on something I cannot re-read in 5 years, just because I want to and like I can do with a normal paperbacks.

Last edited by astra; 03-02-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

No, you're not really missing anything -- but it's the same issue that attaches to any proprietary and/or DRMed format, whether it's Sony's or, say, eReader. Of course the proprietary non-DRMed files can probably be converted to some more useful format, but the only options for DRMed ones are buy it again or break the DRM.

As to why anyone would buy such e-books, well, there are a number of reasons, and I suppose folks who find those reasons (or some combination of them) compelling enough buy them and folks who don't, don't.

One reason might be that it's the only way to legally get a copy of the book they want to e-read. Another might be a desire to encourage the availability of e-books in the future. Another might be a view that DRM is largely unavoidable for the present time, and the only way to change it is to show the Pubs who insist on it that people both want e-books and are willing to actually come by them honestly.

These are just some possible reasons, and not intended as a complete list, nor do I necessarily find them compelling myself.

As for why folks would mess with them, even for free, well, unless you want to make a specific stand that DRM is so evil that you won't have anything to do with it at all (a not uncommon perspective), then you don't really lose anything for taking free DRMed books. I mean, if you can't read the free book again in 10 years, what have you really lost? You didn't pay anything for it in the first place!

Bottom line is, we each have to decide for ourselves where we want to stand on the issue.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Or you're a single-read reader and re-readability in x amount of time doesn't really matter to you and you don't care about the few dollars it costs to gain the convenience of the Connect store for whatever books you want.

Not to mention buying on Connect you are at least encouraging the author to write more books instead of downloading it on P2P or something where they get no royalties.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 03-02-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Closed Thread