Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megapode View Post
The press release states Microsoft Word support? Is that a mis-print or do you reckon it will natively support .doc rather than .rtf?
Same thing it's always been, I expect: it uses Word to convert .DOC to .RTF in the background.

I did notice that this thing doesn't cost all that much more than the 505 plus the lighted 505 cover.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #17
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I invite you to take this poll: Is the Sony PRS-700 your next device?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
Is it 16 "colors" or still 8 ?
Dunno yet.

Quote:
Can someone show close up of the buttons - where they are and the size
look at the attachment, it's got more detail on it when you open it all the way.

Quote:
- using the touch to change pages is idiotic idea, it will become dirty and scratched very fast, stylus is not convenient when reading a book.
Still some folks like the idea.

Quote:
Is it actually 6" and not 6.5" as all others ?
Nope, it's 6"
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I invite you to take this poll: Is the Sony PRS-700 your next device?
To early to tell , no tech details , not to mention reviews.
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #20
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Hmm... guess the next chapter on digital reading is a filler chap. It kills some time, but I'm not impressed.
Compared to the new Irex, this is quite a letdown.

Or mabye I'm expecting too much? Hope the extra competition speeds up the true exciting chapters.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #21
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi Bob,

The integrated light/cover is $65 at Target. I know it's not that far off when you compare the two prices, and if I were someone without a reader at all, I might spring for the 700 for that very reason. But as someone who would be upgrading, I can't see shelling out $400 for what amounts to (for me) the integrated light. The other stuff (search, annotating, highlighting), while nice and probably useful to some folks, doesn't really do anything for me, and I actually dislike the idea of a touchscreen. Have you seen the Plastic Logic demo?
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #22
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Can someone show close up of the buttons - where they are and the size - using the touch to change pages is idiotic idea, it will become dirty and scratched very fast, stylus is not convenient when reading a book.
It also has plain ol' buttons as well.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post

Nope, it's 6"
Ok... so are we saying the eInk screen is smaller than the 505 screen? Or is it the same size?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #24
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'm sold as soon as igorsk can hack the firmware. I'm spoiled by my fonts and I'm not going back to Dutch Roman even if they bloody gave me the PRS-700.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #25
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Woot!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
But as someone who would be upgrading, I can't see shelling out $400 for what amounts to (for me) the integrated light.
Ok, I see where you are going. I thought you were saying it wasn't worth $100 more than the 505. Also, I assume we are talking retail diff here... the 505 SRP is $299 so this one will be $399 SRP. If so, that means we should be able to find it for about $360 or so soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
...and I actually dislike the idea of a touchscreen. Have you seen the Plastic Logic demo?
Yes... I've seen that video. But, that doesn't make me dislike a touch screen. ???

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
OK two things that makes "No Way" for me - I actually wanted BIGGER screen , not smaller and the page turning buttons, yes they have the buttons but they are totally unusable for reading , the menu buttons good for menu but not to turn pages.
Page turning buttons should be under the fingers !
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #28
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The same size, I think.

I'm not entirely sure whether I want one or not...
I thought that I would really want it. But it would cost a lot to get it shipped to the UK, then to pay VAT. And the US warranty wouldn't be worth much here.
I may yet just update to the 505, which is now on sale here.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #29
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One thing for sure. Sony *does* know how to produce sleek hardware that distinguishes itself from the rest.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #30
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, looks interesting.

Now why do I think that the 505 is going to go down further in price to justify the premium pricing of the 700

Still the touch screen features look nice, and it looks like they'll finally be able to add dictionary support to the range, the only feature that all its competitors already support.

Do we know yet if the software on it is similar to the 505 or did they switch to Win CE? Cos the screen in the promo pic does look very CE like.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front light, frontlight, prs700, sony reader, touch screen, touchscreen