Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #16
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
I prefer RTF files and set the type size to 14. For special collections, I'll edit the Title in the 'Document Properties' (which is what the Reader uses for titles, not the actual filename) to say what series it is (i.e. His Dark Materials Book 1 - The Golden Compass). I no longer use the Connect software since it was painful to use. Instead I just drag and drop files onto the drive for the card currently in the Reader. With 647 files so far on a 1Gb SD card, it means the Reader takes about 3 minutes to think things over after disconnecting the USB cord, but other than that it runs fairly fast for what I need.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #17
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I do if I have a series on my 505 is to put the series in a collection and then I can sort that series in reading order inside that collection.
I do that as well - 'manual' sort of certain book series which are saved in collections.

As for carrying your "whole library" with you at all times, I would reconsider if you really need to do that, or if you might survive with, say, maybe the top 100-150 books on your reading list. Because finding and accessing books when you have a huge amount stored in the reader (or on cards) is difficult and slow--it's a flat file system. And, memory cards will use up the battery faster. Honestly, a fw months' worth of reading will fit easily on the reader and be readily accessible.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #18
edwinvr
edwinvr began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Question Where to buy the PRS-505 in Florida?

sorry wrong post

Last edited by edwinvr; 07-06-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: wrong post location
edwinvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #19
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no device with a good enough interface to easily handle 3000 eBooks at one go except maybe the iliad (not sure on this one). The 505 has collections, but still, 3000 eBooks will be too much of a hassle still. Why would you need 3000 eBooks at one go? Will you be away from a computer for that long that you'll read most of them before you have access to a computer?
I think Apple's iPod has an interface that is good enough. Many people have far more than 3000 songs on their iPods, and mostly likely songs from hundreds of albums.

The iPod provides enough views into the data that it is fairly easy to find what you want (ie: scroll by song title, artist, or genre tag, playlists and compilations, cover flow etc).

I personally carry around a few tens of books at a time because I often flip between two or three and I like to have a queue waiting for me, but I can understand why somebody would want to carry more. Sony's desktop software is awful, and the PRS takes a very long time to detect changes after synchronizing, so I try to minimize the number of times I need to connect.

My biggest problem with managing a large number of books on a Sony reader is there is no way to delete books, mark them as read, or filter out recently read books etc.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #20
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I think Apple's iPod has an interface that is good enough. Many people have far more than 3000 songs on their iPods, and mostly likely songs from hundreds of albums.
You missed the point - The assertion wasn't that no such interface was possible but rather, none of the electronic readers currently available has implemented one that makes handling hundreds of books easy...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #21
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Are those 3000 books indeed sole titles? Or are they part of a set? You could opt to create 1 LRF containing multiple volumes.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #22
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
You missed the point - The assertion wasn't that no such interface was possible but rather, none of the electronic readers currently available has implemented one that makes handling hundreds of books easy...
Hmmm... I read the original quote as "no <existing> device has a good enough interface" and not "no <e-book> device..." because it doesn't really matter whether the UI paradigm was originally meant for books or not.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #23
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I have about 1200 books on my Sony PRS-505 and mostly I just notice the startup time is a bit slower and bookmarking...I really hope the next version takes into account that there are people who like having a ton of books on their device.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote