Notices

Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
Sony Ebook Library not compatible

running vista ultimate x64
it wont install (halfway through installation it says like it wasn't successful)
where can i download the latest version that works?
also i primarily want it to view LRF files..any other programs that can view LRF format? (tried opening LRF with libprs500 but it doesn't work)
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Draz
Draz doesn't litterDraz doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw89 View Post
running vista ultimate x64
it wont install (halfway through installation it says like it wasn't successful)
where can i download the latest version that works?
also i primarily want it to view LRF files..any other programs that can view LRF format? (tried opening LRF with libprs500 but it doesn't work)
I had exactly the same problem and could not install the reader.

Fortunately I have access to PC running XP 32bit. I installed the reader software on my XP computer then copied it across to my Vista64 computer.

It works fine on Vista64 now.

Draz
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
How can you copy a whole installation including all registry keys etc fromone OS to another?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Draz

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
How can you copy a whole installation including all registry keys etc fromone OS to another?
I didn't need to. I installed to a custom directory (ie Not program files) on XP then copied the whole directory to vista64. Created a link to 'eBook Library.exe' and it works fine.

Vista 64 recognises the PRS-505 has a USB disk before you install anything. It even sees the memory card has a separate disk so no extra drivers are required. At least not on my version of Vista

I had tried to install in normal way but the installation failed with a silly "Installation Unsuccessful" message. I downloaded the version of the program from the sony site and that failed too.

Now I have a working 'eBook Library' and I've already converted a couple of books for it with the Bookdesigner software, all using Vista 64

Draz
Old 04-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I'm in the same position; although my PRS-505 is not arriving until tomorrow, I wanted to be able to use the software on my Vista 64bit system (to test files converted in libprs500 and books i've converted in BookDesigner prior to the Sony reader arriving) but the installer errors out.

Here's what I've been able to piece together:

- The PRS-500 requires a driver included in the Sony Ebook Library installation. This driver is 32bit and as we all know, 32bit drivers do not work in Vista 64.
- The PRS-505 uses the built-in Vista USB driver and does not need the Sony driver.
- The Sony installation routine runs and detects the OS is 64bit, but either Sony missed out the required 64bit install files, or they didn't bother checking, because the install log complains about a missing 64bit executable while running. It then backs out and removes everything it has copied.

Therefore to use the PRS-505 on Vista you don't actually need the installation to run; only the program itself.

I did the same as Draz; installed the software on a XP machine and then copied it across to my Vista 64 machine. You can unzip the archive anywhere you want - it doesn't appear to have any hardcoded paths or registry settings.

Unzip the archive and run Sony\Reader\Data\bin\eBook Library.exe ... even better, drop a shortcut to your desktop or start menu if you want. Works fine for me so far.

For those unable to access a 32bit XP/2000/Vista installation, I've attached an archive of the C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader directory for you to unpack and use straight away.

Hope that helps!
Attached Files
File Type: rar eBook Library Installer - 32bit.rar (4.54 MB, 1080 views)
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can run the setup exe with the /a switch to extract it without doing the complete installation.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
Draz

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You can run the setup exe with the /a switch to extract it without doing the complete installation.
I didn't know that. It makes it much so much easier, no XP PC required. Thanks

Draz
Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Guesser
Guesser began at the beginning.

Quote:
I tried this (I'm running Vista x64 too, so I'm running into the installation problem). It isn't working for me yet.. After this 'installation', the exe crashes on startup with the usual Vista crash dialog:
"eBook Library has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem

etc."

I don't have my Reader yet, and so I haven't installed the drivers.. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I think that could be an important piece of information. I don't know what to think.

Edit: I tried the one from Megatron-UK's kindly-posted archive too. Unsurprisingly, that had the same result.

Last edited by Guesser; 04-25-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Guesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
Tried all the suggestions here, but it just plain won't run. Task manager shows the process running, but no window ever shows up and I end up having to kill it. Bummer, I'm not quite willing to give up collections, so I'll just have to keep my dual-boot around a little longer.
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try adding exe to the DEP exclusion list.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../depcnfxp.mspx
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
No dice, already have it set for AlwaysOff. Apparently, Vista x64's DEP is causing problems with a lot of software. As it is, Adobe Audition is completely broken with SP1, won't start at all. I'm wondering if the Library is experiencing the same issue. What's strange is I don't get a DEP warning, or any error at all for that matter.
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:42 AM   #12
Guesser
Guesser began at the beginning.

Quote:
Try adding exe to the DEP exclusion list.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../depcnfxp.mspx
Disabling DEP for this app fixed my problem. Thanks. The software still ought to just run... Running the installer with '/a', manually copying, and then disabling DEP is a little messy..

In case it helps anyone to know, I do have SP1 installed.. so it should be possible to get the software running even with SP1.

Last edited by Guesser; 04-26-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Guesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:20 AM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Might this help to get the PRSUSB driver running? http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver...4INF_reqs.mspx
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #14
cozworth
gadget crazy
cozworth began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/900
Thank you! This works great on my new laptop!

One question - when I buy a book from the sony site where will it be saved on my machine?

I bought one and I need to do a little something to the fiile... and I can't seem to find it.

Thanks, Coz
cozworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Typically in my Documents/My Books.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote