Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In fairness, though, Sony appear to have done exactly the right thing with their Blu-Ray DVD; it would appear that they have "won the war".
The way to make something ubiquitious is to either make it open or very easy to license.

Looks at PC's VS MACs... anyone can make a PC so they are ubiquitious.

Look at Micro-channel vs ISA/PCI

Look at Ethernet vs Token Ring

Look at AC vs DC... (kidding)

Then again, iPod breaks the rule here. Never mind!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In fairness, though, Sony appear to have done exactly the right thing with their Blu-Ray DVD; it would appear that they have "won the war".
I guess that all depends on how you define 'doing the right thing'.

It's amazing how the payment of hundreds of millions of dollars effects your moral compass.

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, what they did was clearly the effective thing, whether it was morally and ethically the "right thing" is a rather more complicated question.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:41 AM   #19
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
That is the thing that bothers me about readers in general. With formats being so different across the industry you really end up picking a device more on content offerings than actual features of the device. I say adopt a universal format and let the manufactures offer different features and functions to persuade consumers. No matter what the format has been i.e. VHS, DVD, Blu-ray etc it should all come down to everyone on here wants to Read, But the experiences and how they get their content and how to manipulate it should be up to the individual. Just one man's honest opinion.

Jerry
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't think we'll see that approach until the hardware costs for e-ink screens go down. The cost for the device is really on the high end of what people want to pay for such a thing. When more players can offer the device at an attractive price and make a good profit, then I think we'll see them less concerned with getting you in the pipeline to buy their content.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #21
Hvatum
Hvatum doesn't litterHvatum doesn't litterHvatum doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Good review, useful for someone looking for the perspective of the average user. Aesthetics are an important issue for some people, especially when it's a device you'll be staring at for hours every day.

The point about PDF conversion is definitely salient, as well as the dictionary feature on the Kindle, which is pretty neat. I'd like to see that on the PRS-505, maybe a firmware update? It would take some MB of memory of course.
Hvatum is offline   Reply With Quote