Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
New offer from Sony Credit card on Sony Readers!

Making a splash with his very first post, one of our newest MobileReader, Zach, brings us news of a really great offer on the Reader from the Sony Credit Card division: Get a Sony Credit Card, and you can buy a reader for $50, plus you still get the current Connect Store credits. Details here.

Everybody be sure to thank Zach for the tip!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:26 AM   #2
bigumpah
bigumpah began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 5V, Irex Iliad
Wahoo! Here's a big round of applause for Zach

I was really crushed that I missed the last deal from Tigerdirect. The first thing I'm going to do tomorrow morning is beg one of my American friends south of the border to apply for a Sony credit card and order me a Sony Reader.

I'm still getting my Iliad as planned, but now ol' greedy guts gets to play with two new devices.

Oh happy day!

Last edited by bigumpah; 07-07-2007 at 12:07 PM.
bigumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
Too bad it is only for U.S. citizens.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:36 AM   #4
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

these Reader offers may indicate that a new Reader will be anounced soon.
And I agree that it is too bad this offer only work in the US
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
It isn't an instant application. When you submit the application, they say that you will be notified by mail within 30 days if you are approved.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
these Reader offers may indicate that a new Reader will be anounced soon.
That's the way I would interpret it, too. But that's okay, if it means getting more readers into people's hands. It is also setting a precedent (even if these are specials), to bring reader prices down, and helping to make the Sony reader the one everyone knows and wants.

Now if only they'd seriously advertise their product...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 07-07-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Anytime ANYONE applies for a credit card, it is subject to approval.

Card companies, banks, lending institutions, web companies -- they all want us to have their credit cards so that we can purchase items, then pay back on time and allow these companies to earn money through INTEREST.

This is not necessarily a bad thing.

What one must do is to read the small print, look over your finances, and - if you happen to be married, talk this over with your spouse - and then decide if you are able to handle the responsibilities that a credit card entails, along with the extra payment. (It may be that the $50 is put on the card, subject to approval. Additionally, you should see if there is a yearly membership fee.)

Remember: you're getting more than just a $50 Reader.

Be smart, purchase wisely.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
jeffgrado
jeffgrado began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
Thank you for that Dr. Drib. I work at a large sporting goods store that requires us to push credit cards on customers, and never like to see someone get one for an impulse buy. But certainly a good deal for those looking!
jeffgrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
"responsibilities that a credit card entails," ... lol ....

Getting a credit card in the us sound like a pretty big deal^^

I got mine free (on annual or monthly fees) with my bank account (which is also completely fee-free )
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
bigumpah
bigumpah began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 5V, Irex Iliad
I know it's a right pain to get a Sony Reader at this fantastic price. Unfortunately, it's next to impossible to purchase a unit locally in Montreal at even the normal price. Last night at the Sony store downtown, a salesmen stated there are no plans to release this unit in Canada this year.

Last edited by bigumpah; 07-07-2007 at 12:05 PM.
bigumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBeezle View Post
"responsibilities that a credit card entails," ... lol ....

Getting a credit card in the us sound like a pretty big deal^^

I got mine free (on annual or monthly fees) with my bank account (which is also completely fee-free )
I think the responsibilities Dr. Drib is referring to is not getting yourself into debt so far you can't afford beans and rice for paying your minimum payments.

The consequences of irresponsible credit use are pretty bad. I heard a statistic that the average credit card debt per U.S. Citizen was something upwards of $10k. That's not a real good economic situation to be in. My wife and I don't carry any, so that means there's an extra $20k shared out to the rest of the country -- there must be some folks who are really below water.

The stupid thing is, when they go bankrupt, the idiotic credit card companies practically beat down their doors to offer them new cards, since they can't do the bankruptcy thing again for another 7 years.

I think the laws on that might have changed recently (for the better) though ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
THANK YOU!

This is great. I was kind of bummed that I had missed out on the tiger direct deal. Now my wife and I will both have sony readers! Now I'll have to see if my brother wants my ebookwise reader.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #13
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
This is an awesome deal.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #14
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
This is definitely too good of a deal to pass up, even if a new version or the Cybook, Kindle, etc., are soon to be released.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
spsyk
spsyk began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 7100
Concerned

I am concerned that this offer may be a phishing scam, and apologize in advance if it is not.

I unfortunately applied by clicking on the link, although after much investigation I cannot find any other information on this offer.

Sony knows nothing about it, Sony Credit knows nothing about it, Chase Bank knows nothing about it.

Very concerned, although I show know better than to click on links.

If anyone has any additional information please post.
spsyk is offline   Reply With Quote