Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Reader survives 25 MPH crash test

As they say on 'Myth Busters', "Don't try this at home!" I didn't mean to do it myself, just old and forgetful.

As I was going out to lunch, with my Reader, I stoped to water my flowers. I put my Reader on the hood of my SUV so as to not get it wet. Of course as you have probably figured out by now, I forgot I had put the Reader on the hood. About two blocks away, at 25 MPH, it blew off. The impact knocked the cover off, opened the memory card slot, and did the damage shown in the pictures. Luckly it must have landed on the top, back, left corner - away from any control buttons and the screen.

With my heart beating at least 25 MPH, I U-turned and recovered the Reader. Much to my amazement, it seems to still work perfectly. I'll need to smooth off the rough edges on the corner.

How's that for robustness?

Last edited by slayda; 07-15-2013 at 01:12 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is impressive. So much for the need to buy a new case because the one that comes with it is not able to protect the Reader well enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I wouldn't consider falling off the car at 25 MPH to be a representative test of what the cover should protect from though!

I'm glad it survived in a working state, Slayda.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wow! So... will you be trying it at 35MPH next?

Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Wow! So... will you be trying it at 35MPH next?

I'll leave that to you or someone else to break my record.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
slayda, congrats that your Reader is still breathing

You weren't trying to apply the infamous try-to-kill-a-Lenovo-notebook-test by any chance?

Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Wow! Close call. Congratulations on your luck!
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I've fallen off a car at 35mph, I'd like to see your reader do that.

I'm pretty surprised that the reader survived. Maybe you got lucky... I seriously doubt an iLiad would survive that fall.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I've fallen off a car at 35mph, I'd like to see your reader do that.

I'm pretty surprised that the reader survived. Maybe you got lucky... I seriously doubt an iLiad would survive that fall.
Could be just a matter of where it hit. Then again, maybe the cover that comes with the reader is better then most thought and getting a replacement will actually make it easier to break the reader from a fall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I heard somewhere that the most common fate of laptops is a broken/dead screen. Perhaps the eInk screens are more robust.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I heard somewhere that the most common fate of laptops is a broken/dead screen. Perhaps the eInk screens are more robust.
I am not so sure about that. Look at this poor guy's Librie for instance. Also, I think I can remember someone saying that Sony had to change the specs of the Sony Reader... they made it slightly thicker by strengthening the backplane.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Also, I think I can remember someone saying that Sony had to change the specs of the Sony Reader... they made it slightly thicker by strengthening the backplane.
Yeah, they mentioned that at the Blogger's Day thing, it was presumably part of the delay in the original launch.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote