Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #31
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I'd like to see a way to return books that I've accidentally opened returned to "New" status, without having to delete and reload them.
This topic is tangential but others might be interested. I figured out a simpler method to get back the "New" status on a thumbnail. On your ereader is a file with the path "database/cache/cacheExt.xml". Note: I would save a copy of this file to a safe place before messing with it so you have a backup. You can open this xml file with a text editor. Within your text editor do a Find on the name of your book that you want to change back to New like "MyBook.epub". This search should take to you to a section of the XML file with text similar to the following:

Code:
<text path="database/media/books/MyBook.epub" opened="true" contentID="long_string_of_characters">
Delete the text which says opened="true". Save the xml file. Eject and disconnect your ereader from your computer. Wait for your ereader to refresh and you should now see the "New" on your thumbnail again.

I wouldn't try this method unless you have confidence in editing the xml file or are willing to suffer the consequence if you make an error. But, it worked for me on both my 900 and 950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
This only works on a PC, right?

I do wish the 3 books on the home screen were the 3 most recently *opened or added*.
I hope somebody develops a Mac equivalent too! (EDIT: For the original tool posted by goaspy).

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 01-09-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added clarification
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #32
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you very much, it has worked very well for me. And the column sorting is very useful for finding the books you want to order.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #33
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The file is on your ereader not computer... just find and use a text editor on your Mac to change (text editor not word processor unless happy changing file type)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This topic is tangential but others might be interested. I figured out a simpler method to get back the "New" status on a thumbnail. On your ereader is a file with the path "database/cache/cacheExt.xml". Note: I would save a copy of this file to a safe place before messing with it so you have a backup. You can open this xml file with a text editor. Within your text editor do a Find on the name of your book that you want to change back to New like "MyBook.epub". This search should take to you to a section of the XML file with text similar to the following:

Code:
<text path="database/media/books/MyBook.epub" opened="true" contentID="long_string_of_characters">
Delete the text which says opened="true". Save the xml file. Eject and disconnect your ereader from your computer. Wait for your ereader to refresh and you should now see the "New" on your thumbnail again.

I wouldn't try this method unless you have confidence in editing the xml file or are willing to suffer the consequence if you make an error. But, it worked for me on both my 900 and 950.

I hope somebody develops a Mac equivalent too!
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #34
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
The file is on your ereader not computer... just find and use a text editor on your Mac to change (text editor not word processor unless happy changing file type)
Maybe I confused the issue by multi-quoting two messages. SeaBookGuy asked for a method to change the new status icon on a thumbnail. I responded with a suggestion to edit the cacheEXT.xml file.

eP, asked if the original tool could be used on a Mac. The creator responded that it was for Windows PC only and you needed .NET framework. Are you saying there is away to run the original tool on a Mac?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #35
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Thanks for the tips, Bookworm_Girl! I did a batch find/replace to eliminate all of the "new" tags by searching for:

.epub">

and replacing with:

.epub" opened="true">

Works great!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #36
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure enough, the edit clarifies, wouldn't have answered with it there, was referring to main part dealing with cacheEXT.xml as you assumed.

Being really sneaky, I could say it'll run on a Mac (if Intel based) by using Boot Camp but I guess we're talking OS X so answer to original tool usage would be no...

Quote:
Maybe I confused the issue by multi-quoting two messages. SeaBookGuy asked for a method to change the new status icon on a thumbnail. I responded with a suggestion to edit the cacheEXT.xml file.

eP, asked if the original tool could be used on a Mac. The creator responded that it was for Windows PC only and you needed .NET framework. Are you saying there is away to run the original tool on a Mac?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #37
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Sure enough, the edit clarifies, wouldn't have answered with it there, was referring to main part dealing with cacheEXT.xml as you assumed.

Being really sneaky, I could say it'll run on a Mac (if Intel based) by using Boot Camp but I guess we're talking OS X so answer to original tool usage would be no...
Thanks for the clarification! I do have virtual desktop software so I can run Windows but that's not an option for many Mac users. I might do that just to try it out this tool because it seems really useful. However, I could just retransfer the 3 files I want on the home screen faster than it would take me to start a Windows session and then shut it down. It would just be nice to have a Mac equivalent app. In all seriousness though, do you think there might be something in the xml files on the ereader that one could edit to change what's on the home screen?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #38
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3
Quote:
I hope somebody develops a Mac equivalent too! (EDIT: For the original tool posted by goaspy).
I'm working on the Mac version , my very first Cocoa app. I hope it will be ready in a few days. Stay tuned.
goaspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #39
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaspy View Post
I'm working on the Mac version , my very first Cocoa app. I hope it will be ready in a few days. Stay tuned.
Great, goaspy! I didn't mean that you had to create a Mac version but much appreciated. No rush though. Good luck on your first Cocoa app.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #40
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
Thank you goaspy, the tool is great! Now the home page shows the books I really want to have immediate access to instead of the ones I might or might not want them there.
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #41
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Thank you so much. I have joined the masses that use this to keep my next books to read on the front page.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #42
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3
The Mac version is here

Please test it and let me know if you have any issues. I tried it on my reader and it worked fine.

Cheers.
goaspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #43
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks for this. I tried it out on my pc and it really is nice to see the books I want on the front page.

Jodi
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #44
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaspy View Post
The Mac version is here

Please test it and let me know if you have any issues. I tried it on my reader and it worked fine.

Cheers.
That was fast, goaspy! Does it only work with Snow Leopard? I have 10.5.8. I get the following error message:

"You cannot use this version of the application Order Books with this version of Mac OS X"
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #45
elcreative
Wizard

Thanks for the Mac version... appreciated... will try later... it's 2.30am here