Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #46
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Oh another little tip. I started to convert over some books and then loaded them up on the reader. Well actually looking at the text size via connect doesn't do the book justice, so if you need larger fonts as I do (not huge but larger than tiny, LOL) may I suggest you make one which you think looks good, Make it and actually put it on the reader and then turn the reader on and look at it there........ what you see on connect doesn't translate IMO what is on the reader itself......... so I had to remove a couple of books I made and re-do with a little bit of a larger font........
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #47
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
... But I do have at least one font at this moment on my computer but it will not show up in bookreader...... that font is BernardMod BT It just will not work...... I am sure not a font that I would want to use, but I am trying to see what fonts will and what looks nice....
Some fonts have the meta tag for embedding set to "no", this could be one of those fonts.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Do you know of any way to check that?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #49
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The best way to check font propertiesin Windows is to use the Microsoft Font Properties Extension Tool.

First, its free. Second, it enhances the visible Properties box for True Type, Open Type, and Clear Type fonts. In Windows Explorer, just open the Fonts subdirectory under Windows and right click on the font. From the drop down menu select Properties and then click on the Embedded tab. The top part of the box will explain the embedding properties for that font.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #50
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Some fonts have the meta tag for embedding set to "no", this could be one of those fonts.
But I checked and it said it was okay to embed....?
Advert
Old 03-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #51
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
The best way to check font propertiesin Windows is to use the Microsoft Font Properties Extension Tool.

First, its free. Second, it enhances the visible Properties box for True Type, Open Type, and Clear Type fonts. In Windows Explorer, just open the Fonts subdirectory under Windows and right click on the font. From the drop down menu select Properties and then click on the Embedded tab. The top part of the box will explain the embedding properties for that font.
Okay well all the paragraphs say it's allowed.... last paragraph says this. Restricted license embedding no embedding allowed, font may not be embedded in doc........ well I just checked on Arial and it says the same thing and arial can be used so something is just plain screwy here....

Just call me a trouble maker at this point, LOL
Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe that LRF files, as used by the Sony Reader, currently support the embedding of fonts. You need to use PDF if you want custom fonts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #53
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

No not true....... I have already made a book using comic sans..... this program lets you. I just installed and saved a book using comic sans..... ( a font I use a lot of) and actually it looks pretty darn good on the reader...... I may just use this one most of the time..... so those books I just made yesterday I think I will redo them. Actuallyl I just took a test with the font and converted it on the reader just now so to be 100% sure of myself and what I saw yesterday and yes it's there and yes we can.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #54
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

This free utitilty http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/twm/embed/ allows you to change the embed properties of the font. The creator also discusses the DCMA takedown notices he received here http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/twm/embed/dmca.html and how he feels this tool does not violate the DCMA.

This tool works well - I had to send a pdf to a print house and one of the fonts used in the project didn't allow embedding. It took all of a few seconds to correct that problem.

Rob
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #55
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Okay well all the paragraphs say it's allowed.... last paragraph says this. Restricted license embedding no embedding allowed, font may not be embedded in doc........ well I just checked on Arial and it says the same thing and arial can be used so something is just plain screwy here....

Just call me a trouble maker at this point, LOL
You're a trouble maker!

The top area of the box inside an area that says "Enbedability for this font" is a single line that described the properties for this font. The following box provides descriptions of the four embedding conditions that may be in the top box.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #56
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
You're a trouble maker!

The top area of the box inside an area that says "Enbedability for this font" is a single line that described the properties for this font. The following box provides descriptions of the four embedding conditions that may be in the top box.
So he listens to what I told him to call me, hmmmmpp

Well you have me mass confused me........... either way I think most of my book making is going to be comic sans and that one works....
I would use it here other than always having to change it, having a default setting would be nice.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #57
RWood
Technogeezer

OK, first I have enclosed a screen shot of the embed property area. The top box is what is allowed with this font and the bottom box is a description of all possible descriptions in the top box.

Now about setting a base font in BD. Open BD and select Make e-book|Sony Reader. On the top are three (3) tabs, select "styles" and you will see the settings for each element in BD for Sony Reader. This is also where you can add external fonts to the BD arena. I save my selections under "default" so that they will load each time without my having to think about it.

As for listening and calling people by the form of address they request ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FontEmbedProp.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2968  
Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #58
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
OK, first I have enclosed a screen shot of the embed property area. The top box is what is allowed with this font and the bottom box is a description of all possible descriptions in the top box.

Now about setting a base font in BD. Open BD and select Make e-book|Sony Reader. On the top are three (3) tabs, select "styles" and you will see the settings for each element in BD for Sony Reader. This is also where you can add external fonts to the BD arena. I save my selections under "default" so that they will load each time without my having to think about it.

As for listening and calling people by the form of address they request ....
I did all these things other than put my prefered font under the default settings, I just save a whole bunch of them and name them by font.......I think it stays at the last setting you had it at when you open this program up once again.... all of this I understand and have done....... what I am saying is that I have one particular font which will not show up in the reader for some reason although it says it will embed...... it will not....BernhardMOD BT And in that new little extra program to check the fonts, it's not saying anything different than an arial font which tells me it too can work in the reader..... but my point it is not for some reason.... Yes I added it to my list over there on the right hand side (not that dumb, <G>).......
Old 03-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #59
vvaann
Enthusiast
vvaann began at the beginning.

Quote:
Yes it only makes sense since you use the program and click on the fonts that are on your system. But I do have at least one font at this moment on my computer but it will not show up in bookreader...... that font is BernardMod BT It just will not work...... I am sure not a font that I would want to use, but I am trying to see what fonts will and what looks nice.

It is nice we no longer need to convert, did that include LIT files as well or do we need to use amber for that? Oh wait, not it did LIT fonts as well, it was one of the ones I was working on yesterday that I was successful with...
Sorry, I can not add anything else. I do not know which font types are not supported by BD because I do not use embedding and didn't have enough experience. You can see that page turn became around 2-3 sec for books with embedded fonts and it is 0.5 sec only for the books with internal reader fonts. I tried to cut fonts and keep Russian symbols only - this can not help with page turning speed. So, I prefer speed then beauty

Last edited by vvaann; 03-25-2007 at 05:28 PM.
vvaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:35 AM   #60
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvaann
Sorry, I can not add anything else. I do not know which font types are not supported by BD because I do not use embedding and didn't have enough experience. You can see that page turn became around 2-3 sec for books with embedded fonts and it is 0.5 sec only for the books with internal reader fonts. I prefer speed then beauty
Just wanted to post the same thing.
2-3 seconds page turn vs 0.5 prevents me from using embeded fonts at all.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner