Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 AM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlet
I'm having the same problem, and also tried to use the tutorial, however none of the screenshots match, the options for stuff like "user page breaks" in "options" don't exist.
That means that you haven't installed the program correctly.

You need to FIRST install BD 4 from the "BookDesigner40.msi" file. Then, once it's installed, unzip the BD 5 "BookDesignerExe.zip" into the BD 4 installation directory, overwriting all the files with the same name.

You will then have all the options displayed on the tutorial screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:42 PM   #107
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Its true. I had THE EXACT SAME problem.. So I deleted EVERYTHING the entire program, then went in to my C drive, program files, then found the 'leftovers' a folder called Book Designer, dragged it into the recycle bin, started over. Got the program, installed it... then downloaded the update... after unpacking the update files from their zipped state.. Dropped the entire folder on top of the Book designer folder that should be in your c drive program files folder,, ( i hope your following and forgive me if im being too simplistic but the program is great and I'm REALLY enjoying using it once it is installed correctly..) After dropping the files on top of the other, you should get a window that pops up that says do you want to copy etc. Click Yes to all.. an it will be perfect! (Hopefully)
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 AM   #108
fredlet
fredlet began at the beginning.

finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
That means that you haven't installed the program correctly.

You need to FIRST install BD 4 from the "BookDesigner40.msi" file. Then, once it's installed, unzip the BD 5 "BookDesignerExe.zip" into the BD 4 installation directory, overwriting all the files with the same name.

You will then have all the options displayed on the tutorial screens.
Actually, I DID have it installed properl and I was on version 5 as well, but the link that I used to get the update had the OLD updater from last year in it.

Here's the steps:

From http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/content.php?article.63
Download these two files:

Скачать полный пакет программы (29.06.2004, BookDesigner40.zip, ~10 Мб)
Скачать последний апдейт программы (14.03.2007, BookDesignerExe.zip, ~2.5) <<at this writing this was the latest version, depending on how long it is til you read this, it may be updated.

Install the .msi file in the “BookDesigner40″ folder
Extract the “BookDesignerExe.zip” file
Then copy ALL the contents from the “BookDesignerExe” over the stuff you just installed in your Book Designer folder in your Program Files folder

NOW you’ll have a Sony Reader convert-y button instead of the old Librie one.

Phew.
fredlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #109
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've recently adopted BD to convert my e-books to LRF for my books site (with assistance by RWood, and checked with the Connect SW on my PC, since I don't as yet actually have a Reader). I must say I like the tools, and their ease of use. I had to take the time to work out a specific sequence of conversion steps, to shorten what started out as a 3-hour process into less than an hour (not counting pre- and post-checking the content, page by page).

I do, however, admit to having problems with the HTML editor, which can be twitchy and sometimes creates unneeded breaks even as I delete them! I eventually simplified my issues by opening the entire book into the HTML editor, then copying and pasting the HTML into Dreamweaver to do the HTML edits there... then pasting the new HTML back into the BD HTML editor, and applying that to the book.

My result has been excellent Sony Reader LRFs, including covers and an "also available" section in the back of each book, and I've converted my entire catalog!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For completeness sake, note that the very latest update is the 12th Apr 2007 one.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #111
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
I've recently adopted BD to convert my e-books to LRF for my books site (with assistance by RWood, and checked with the Connect SW on my PC, since I don't as yet actually have a Reader). I must say I like the tools, and their ease of use. I had to take the time to work out a specific sequence of conversion steps, to shorten what started out as a 3-hour process into less than an hour (not counting pre- and post-checking the content, page by page).

I do, however, admit to having problems with the HTML editor, which can be twitchy and sometimes creates unneeded breaks even as I delete them! I eventually simplified my issues by opening the entire book into the HTML editor, then copying and pasting the HTML into Dreamweaver to do the HTML edits there... then pasting the new HTML back into the BD HTML editor, and applying that to the book.

My result has been excellent Sony Reader LRFs, including covers and an "also available" section in the back of each book, and I've converted my entire catalog!
Do you spend most of that one hour in editing the HTML?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #112
Malerne133
Malerne133 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-500
How do I order/obtain/download BD

I'm more than "gob-stopped". I'm plain stupified (and stupid). Can't find how to obtain BD. Can't download the tutorial as something "ate" my zip program and the file won't open.
Malerne133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:15 AM   #113
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

An unzipper is built into Windows. All you should have to do is "double click" the ZIP file and it'll open as a new window, showing the contents.

I don't mean to be rude, Malerne, and please don't be offended by my saying this, but perhaps you might benefit from getting an introductory book on using a PC - a lot of the questions you're asking are to do with using Windows rather than to do with the Reader or Connect specifically. You'll find a lot of excellent books in any computer store.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #114
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
Do you spend most of that one hour in editing the HTML?
No; Most of that hour is now spent checking and adjusting various features of the document to be converted, like formatting, tabs, section breaks, etc; and checking the converted document afterward, which usually requires re-converting as I always find something that was incorrectly formatted the first time. Most of the HTML work is cut-and-paste, and so doesn't take that much time.

Before I applied Dreamweaver to the HTML work, a lot of the editing had to be done one item at a time, like applying centered glyphs to indicate the break of a section (three lines of code, something the HTML's find-and-replace apparently cannot handle).

And as I said, the BD HTML editor software would sometimes experience a "brainfart," and drop a break where I did not want one, or change a format, and if I didn't catch it, I'd have to check and reconvert. With Dreamweaver, I miss items and reconvert less than before.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:15 PM   #115
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm interesting...my workflow is the reverse. I spend most of my time fixing the HTML (about 10 mins) and the conversion to LRF is automatic. But I guess it depends on the quality of the HTML source and the desired quoality of the LRF output as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner