Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book(s) do you want to read for June 2021
The Secret History by Donna Tartt 3 50.00%
The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune 5 83.33%
Passage by Connie Willis 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
July 2021 Vote (Free-for-All)

We have 3 books for the July 2021 vote. This will be a multiple choice vote. If there is a tie, I will pick the winner.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:01 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Spoiler:
Under the influence of their charismatic Classics professor, a group of clever, eccentric misfits at an elite New England college discover a way of thinking and living that is a world away from the humdrum existence of their contemporaries. But when they go beyond the boundaries of normal morality, their lives are changed profoundly and for ever as they discover how hard it can be to truly live and how easy it is to kill.

The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune
Spoiler:
He expected nothing. But they gave him everything . . .

Linus Baker leads a quiet life. At forty, he has a tiny house with a devious cat and his beloved records for company. And at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth, he’s spent many dull years monitoring their orphanages.

Then one day, Linus is summoned by Extremely Upper Management and given a highly classified assignment. He must travel to an orphanage where six dangerous children reside, including the Antichrist. There, Linus must somehow determine if they could bring on the end of days. But their guardian, charming and enigmatic Arthur Parnassus, will do anything to protect his wards. As Arthur and Linus grow ever closer, Linus must choose between duty and his dreams.

Passage by Connie Willis
Spoiler:
Dr. Joanna Lander is a psychologist specializing in near-death experiences. She is about to get help from a new doctor with the power to give her the chance to get as close to death as anyone can.

A brilliant young neurologist, Dr. Richard Wright has come up with a way to manufacture the near-death experience using a psychoactive drug. Joanna's first NDE is as fascinating as she imagined - so astounding that she knows she must go back, if only to find out why that place is so hauntingly familiar.

But each time Joanna goes under, her sense of dread begins to grow, because part of her already knows why the experience is so familiar, and why she has every reason to be afraid.

Yet just when Joanna thinks she understands, she's in for the biggest surprise of all - a shattering scenario that will keep you feverishly reading until the final climactic page.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-05-2021 at 05:06 AM.
Advert
Old 07-06-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If you have a library card for the OCLS library, The House in the Cerulean Sea is available at the Cloud library.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you have a library card for the OCLS library, The House in the Cerulean Sea is available at the Cloud library.
I have it on reserve at some library. I just need 5 or 6 copies returned to get it. So I expect it soonish.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #5
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
I do have an OCLS card and I checked the Cloud Library but there was no borrow button for The House in the Cerulean Sea. I wanted to download to ADE to read on my Kobo. May try the cloud Library app for iOS and see if I can get it on my iPad Air 2 which I use as a dedicated reader.

Or if it is the selection, I’ll just buy it as a thank you to Tor.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2021, 06:53 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
I do have an OCLS card and I checked the Cloud Library but there was no borrow button for The House in the Cerulean Sea. I wanted to download to ADE to read on my Kobo. May try the cloud Library app for iOS and see if I can get it on my iPad Air 2 which I use as a dedicated reader.

I believe if there is no borrow button, it is currently checked out. Note that Cloud does use Adobe DRM, but I'm not sure if you would be able to get it to the Kobo without stripping DRM.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And the winner for July 2021 is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:18 AM   #8
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I plan to listen to this whenever Scribd finally has it available for me. At first it was July 12, now July 13 :/
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:45 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post

I just checked, and it is available for checkout at the OCLS Cloud library.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #10
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just checked, and it is available for checkout at the OCLS Cloud library.
Thanks. I went ahead and bought at Amazon and have almost finished reading. It was a good reminder though that I should remember to check more than Overdrive in the future.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I started the audio yesterday, on chapter 5 so far.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just got a copy and will be starting it tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #13
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I'm a few chapters in, liking it so far
Could we start the discussion thread now? I'd like to comment as I'm reading. We could put spoilers in spoiler tags until everybody have finished.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Hildea, thank you for nominating the book, a very enjoyable read.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #15
Mims
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I'm a few chapters in, liking it so far
Could we start the discussion thread now? I'd like to comment as I'm reading. We could put spoilers in spoiler tags until everybody have finished.
I agree. I have finished reading and it did take longer for me to read because I love the “ soundtrack “. Kept adding songs or albums to playlist.